99 1.8 Zetec Hesitation,misfire up to 2k revs. - bantam1
Having changed the ht leads and plugs on my focus i have still got a really bad and unnerving rough idle the car runs 'lumpy' (sounds like a vw camper) and loss of power on any sort of incline,although once the revs pass 2k it seems to clear but the power issue (hesitation) is still there..

Any ideas

bantam1
s

99 1.8 Zetec Hesitation,misfire up to 2k revs. - Screwloose

Was the miss there before you changed the leads?
yes the misfire / rough idle was there but both were worse than they are now.The car seems to be getting a little smoother as it runs on the new plugs but its not right ...i have been told it could be a compression problem...
99 1.8 Zetec Hesitation,misfire up to 2k revs. - Screwloose

Far more likely to be a coilpack failure. Pull each lead off one at a time until you find the one that's not working.

The two paired coils work... cyls 1 and 4... 2 and 3. Swap the HT lead with it's paired lead on the coil and see if the miss moves to the other cylinder.
thanks for the suggestion..
tried it and the fault did indeed move so it looks like you were correct .. will let you know if replacing the coil pack works ...

fitted new coil unit ,,,,car now sorted .. many thanks to those who offered advice >> thanks for the suggestion..