What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Battery Maintenance - MW
After 9 1/2 years my old Masterparts battery finally died. Who makes these?
Actually, like all new batteries it gave no warning at all and on a pick-up at the airport (it's always at a critical time) it was stone dead on a hot day. Jump start and we were off. £68 later at Euro Car Parts we have a 096 Bosch Silver Maintenance free battery.
I know it is blindingly obvious but I have never been keen on maintenance free batteries. The old one needed a top up every 9 months; hardly hard work and it gave nearly 10 years service. The Bosch website claims water loss (it is water not a gel) is 400 times less than a conventional battery.
The top is firmly fixed but looks as through the trough cover could unclip. Europarts claim it is now guaranteed for life! even if you swop cars and move it over.
Can this battery really need nothing in the next 10 years. Any views or experience on the long life of these? I'm a bit sceptical.
Battery Maintenance - gordonbennet
Funnily enough just put a new bosch silver on my 124 coupe cos the previous was getting slow turning over, that strangely enough wasa yuasa japanese battery and dont know how that ended up on the vehicle but there you go, good batt mind though had them on my old landcruiser for years.
I too believe in the bosch silvers and wouldnt use anything else, had one on my old 940 td volvo it was years old then by the looks of it, anyway when the glow plugs gave out (on a monday as usual) Georgeous was using the car for work and the car stood being cranked for up to 5 mins at a time morning and night with a 6 mile drive between till the weekend with no sign of the bosch battery slowing up!! My sister now has that car and this is some 3 or 4 years later and that blinking battery is still going strong!!
People say the price of these is too steep and they can get a pretty looking battery with 10 minutes guarantee for x pounds well they can keep em cos at 4am the sound i dont want to hear is 'click'
By the way havent got a clue about masterparts batteries.
You asked a question about gearbox oil on another thread suggest trying either of the two merc forums, some very knowledgable chaps on there Brian
Battery Maintenance - Aprilia
Masterparts will be a rebranded battery - they probably used different suppliers at different times, so hard to say who actually made it.

Bosch Silvers do last along time. If in the Midlands then try CAS factors for Bosch Silver battery - they usually do them at excellent prices.
Battery Maintenance - quizman

Aprilia, do you mean CES factors?

Bosch silvers are sold at Costco.

I am pretty sure that Bosch silvers are the same as Varta Blue batteries.

I agree with everyone who says to get the best brands, not just on batteries either!
Battery Maintenance - MW
Did you ever have to top it up? Was that possible anyway?