What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
02 1.8 twin cam, slight knocking on start up - davidrobert
Hi just got my Nissan Tino last week its a 2002 model ,as days go by you start to notice things about the car you didn't notice when i first got it... hope this is normal just noticed when you start the car first thing in the morning you can hear a very very slight knocking noise just for a 5- 10 sec period then it goes away is this normal, its a 1.8 twin cam very slight knocking i may say any help would be great thanks
s
slight knocking on start up - Altea Ego
How many miles has it done? Get the oil changed ensuring its the correct viscosity. Its probably nothing to worry about.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
slight knocking on start up - davidrobert
The car has done 55000 miles and it was serviced by the dealer before i picked it up, i dont know what oil he used ...what oil do you recommend for it and the gear box as well thx
slight knocking on start up - GregSwain
Normal characteristic of these engines - about 5 ticks before it runs quietly. Is just the timing chain waiting to be lubricated. Correct oil is 10w40 semi-synth.
slight knocking on start up - Aprilia
Its probably the timing chain slapping before the tensioner pumps up. Its OK.
slight knocking on start up - jase1
Normal characteristic of these engines - about 5 ticks before it runs quietly. Is just
the timing chain waiting to be lubricated. Correct oil is 10w40 semi-synth.

Yeah my QG18DE does this as well. Four or five ticks and then silence.

It worried me at first but it hasn't got any worse so I just ignore it now.