What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Car Park Tarmac - Chris S
I was waiting outside the gym last night and noticed that just about every other car made screeching noises as it drove around the car park.

Is car park tarmac different from the type used on the roads, or do about 50% of cars have their wheels out of alignment?
Car Park Tarmac - Collos25
From my limited knowledge there are many different types of asphalt used for different conditions.
Car Park Tarmac - ForumNeedsModerating
Nothing at all to do with the testosterone fuelled cerebellum controlling foot/hand/eye co-ordination & 'roid rage egos then?
Car Park Tarmac - Collos25
And that as well
Car Park Tarmac - cheddar
Was it indoor / underground / multi-story?

Cars lay rubber in carparks, if they are covered and not washed by the rain this increases the likelyhood screaching when cornering etc.
Car Park Tarmac - Altea Ego
Cars lay rubber in carparks if they are covered and not washed by the rain
this increases the likelyhood screaching when cornering etc.

Its usually down the surface itself. Dry smooth slippy (but not sufficiently slippy) surface will usually be the cause. Very fine smooth surfaced or painted concrete is worse.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Car Park Tarmac - Round The Bend
The tarmac on the car park of our local Morrisons induces tyre squeal at very low speeds when turning. It is in the open and occurs all over the car park suggesting that it is a different mix or blend of tarmac from the usual.
Car Park Tarmac - cheddar
P.S: Why Alfa or is that a variety of the new categories?
sorted - PU
Car Park Tarmac - Red Baron
Can also depend on tyre type and size.

Had a Fiesta once on 135s that squealed. As soon as I changed to 155s, albeit with a different pattern, the squealing stopped.

Car Park Tarmac - Group B
Car park tarmac (bitmac) is usually a light duty spec to suit light vehicles and low speeds, they use different binders and smaller aggregate, which is cheaper. A main road has to be able to withstand heavier vehicles, but also the dynamic effect of vehicles moving at high speed multiplies the loading, so has to be a heavy duty construction.
Road surfacing uses larger aggregate with usually a more open-faced texture or rougher finish, therefore less surface area contact with tyres.

Perhaps the tarmac in question is quite old and has small surface aggregate which has been polished quite smooth; not slippery smooth but with surface irregularities worn away?
There is a multi-storey car park I used to use in Sheffield and tyres would squeal really easily in there. The surfacing was mastic asphalt, which has a very smooth surface finish.
Also I think tyres can sometimes squeal more readily when surfaces are warmer, ie. have had sun on them all day?

Had a Fiesta once on 135s that squealed. As soon as I changed to 155s, albeit with a different pattern, the squealing stopped.

I read an article years ago that said AFAIR that tyre squeal is caused by the tyre tread blocks "squirming", or oscillating in a circular pattern, when cornering forces are applied. With modern tyres having larger, stiffer tread blocks, they should squeal less readily than old tyre tread designs.

I bet NC will have a definitive answer?

;o)
Car Park Tarmac - Number_Cruncher
>>I bet NC will have a definitive answer?

I would never claim that!

One thing to bear in mind is that the steering of cars is fairly agricultural, and despite the nonsense that is written in basic text books about Ackermann steering geometry, as soon as you turn the steering, there's a tracking error - the tighter the corner, the larger the error. So, on tight corners, you always scrub.

Whether the scrub makes a squeal is a really difficult point - you're right to talk about the local oscillations of the rubber tread blocks. This is linked to a few other motor vehicle troublesome phenomena, namely brake squeal, wiper squeal, wiper judder, and clutch judder. The precise conditions required to promote or diminish the dynamic instability simply aren't well understood.

Among the possibilities which might promote tyre squeal (and brake squeal) is a friction pair that has a negative friction gradient as part of its characteristic - i.e. the friction decreases as rubbing speed increases - this can lead to negative damping, which allows vibrations to build, rather than helping them decay.

Number_Cruncher
Car Park Tarmac - FotheringtonThomas
I was waiting outside the gym last night and noticed that just about every other
car made screeching noises as it drove around the car park.

I have noticed squealing from my car's wheels in car-parks. I think it's largely due to the sharp turns and low-speed braking causing the pads to contact the discs during manoeuvres. Just touching the brakes when this happens stops it. YMMV. Try it!
Car Park Tarmac - BazzaBear {P}
That may be so in some cases, but I've definitely been in car parks where this happens with the majority of cars, and it's clearly the rubber squealing, not the brakes.
Car Park Tarmac - AlastairW
Until recently I never experienced squealing tyres at my local Tesco, but now I do. As the car park hasn't changed, I assume it is because my tyres are now more worn (though legal by quite a margin, in case you ask)
Car Park Tarmac - Mad Maxy
Why is/are 'aggregate(s)' called thus? Is 'stone' or similar not good enough?
Car Park Tarmac - MVP
Why do people drive to gyms in their cars, and then warm-up/cool-down on an excercise bike or treadmill?

Why not just cycle or jog to the gym :)

MVP
Car Park Tarmac - Brian Tryzers
It's not just tyres; shoes do it too - especially on very smooth, painted floors like the one in the DIY store I visited yesterday. It's annoying but better that than the supermarket I used to visit on my way home, years ago: my leather-soled work shoes got so little grip that I sometimes had to lean on a block of shelves to get enough sideways purchase to steer the trolley!
Car Park Tarmac - Lud
When I was young, and a part-time American car driven pedal to the metal, I was particularly fond of a pair of crepe-soled shoes I had that squealed superbly on corridor corners at school.
Car Park Tarmac - Pugugly {P}

"Why not just cycle or jog to the gym :)"

Because some people live 9 miles away from their Gym and have only limited time ! :-)
Car Park Tarmac - Group B
Why is/are 'aggregate(s)' called thus? Is 'stone' or similar not good enough?

I dont know why it came to be known as aggregate, but it is not always stone. In some road surfacing materials they used to also use slag. For decorative concrete the aggregate could be glass. Years ago crushed brick was common as an aggregate in concrete but is not used these days.
In bitmac and concrete you can have different sizes and/or types of aggregate within the same mix, so "aggregate" can describe the bulk material without having to be specific about what it is.

;o)
Car Park Tarmac - PoloGirl
Was it one of those car parks where there are painted red and green areas for people to walk and not walk in? Those ones squeal no matter how careful you are.