2.0 litre diesel automatic - driving experience - Croydonman
Under "Motability" scheme have, for last three years been driving Mondeo 2.0 ltr. Auto Petrol,with which I have been very satisfied.
Have been informed new Mondeos do not include petrol autos!! Have therefore ordered 2.0 ltr. diesel auto.
Is what I've been told true?
Comments please on what I can expect in the way of driving experience
Approx 8000 mls.p.a. 90% town driving
Never had a diesel before.
s
New Mondeo Diesel - rtj70
There is a 2.3 litre petrol auto available in the new Mondeo. Sounds like they didn't tell you the truth.
New Mondeo Diesel - Croydonman
Rtj&0
Thanks
Wasn't aware, but not ALL models are available under Motability scheme.
I'll have to live with my decision but if anybody can let me know what to expect from driving a biggish car with 2.0 ltr. auto deisel I shall be very interested. Should have had a test drive but this would have further delayed making my choice.
There is a 2.3 litre petrol auto available in the new Mondeo. Sounds like they
didn't tell you the truth.

You'll soon find the extra torque from the diesel makes for relaxed driving. And no need to worry about trying to put petrol in by mistake as the new Mondeo has a fuel cap that only takes the right nozzle.
rtj70

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be happy with my choice.
All dealt with in a bit of rush hence the concerns.
The real problem is will my wife like the colour!
New Mondeo Diesel - peterb
"... the extra torque from the diesel will make for relaxed driving..."

... but the diesel will make a horrid noise
New Mondeo Diesel - BobbyG
Croydonman, am gobsmacked that anyone would buy / commit to lease any car whatsoever without test driving it?
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
New Mondeo Diesel - Bill Payer
Croydonman am gobsmacked that anyone would buy / commit to lease any car whatsoever
without test driving it?

Why? Al modern cars are OK. What can you tell from a 10 min test drive anyway?
Well considering OP does 90% town driving, then maybe the fact the new Mondeo is about 2 inches wider might affect him.
Bill Payer

Think my response to BobbyG explains my thinking.I doin't think Ford make any bad cars now.
I'm sure we'll both be very happy.

BobbyG
Sorry to gobsmack you!
In view of my stature and disability after extensive searching, three years ago I decided on a Mondeo 2.0 ltr auto under the "Motability" scheme. Even then I had to have driving seat runners put back 3"to allow access/exit. Nothing has changed since then. I would really love to drive a smaller car which would give a much wider selection under the scheme.It would also save a great deal of money reducing the costs in respect of the "up front payment, the monthly leasing charge & fuel. I'm therefore stuck with what's available.It's all a bit of a compromise.
Thank's for your interest.
New Mondeo Diesel - boxsterboy
>>... but the diesel will make a horrid noise

What a complete load of rubbish! The sound insulation will be such that I dare say the OP will be hard pressed to tell whether his new car has petrol or diesel.
New Mondeo Diesel - Bill Payer
I imagine it'll be waft-tastic.
New Mondeo Diesel - jase1
The sound insulation will be such that I dare
say the OP will be hard pressed to tell whether his new car has petrol
or diesel.

Hogwash.

Newer diesels are much more refined than they used to be, but "hard-pushed to tell petrol from diesel"? I've driven enough diesels to know this just ain't true.

Fairly quiet, maybe.
New Mondeo Diesel - cheddar
Newer diesels are much more refined than they used to be but "hard-pushed to tell
petrol from diesel"? >>

I agree, you can tell, put your foot down at 2000 revs, the diesel stomps away, the petrol bogs down.

At idle and low speeds a diesel is noisier, externally at least, and some diesels do thrumm a bit though my 120k mile TDCi wafts along at motorway speeds the engine virtually inaudible, also put you foot down at 1800 it revs and it picks up pretty quickly on a wave of torque again without any significant sound from the engine, even a decent 2.0 petrol would have to be a gear or two lower to keep up and hence more revs so the engine note would actually be more apparent.
New Mondeo Diesel - Altea Ego
>Hogwash.

>Newer diesels are much more refined than they used to be, but "hard-pushed to tell petrol from >diesel"? I've driven enough diesels to know this just ain't true.

Tripe you have obviously driven the wrong ones.

I have just come back from Italy, and there I drove around in a hired Fiat Croma. It was still hot from its last drive when I got it. Upon start up I had no idea what engine was in there as there was no noise or virbrations to give the gamne away. It was, as it turned out buy whipping up the bonnet, a 2.4 multijet diesel.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
New Mondeo Diesel - madf
BIl was a Ford development engineer. He retired. Gave him a lift in my 3 year old Yarius diesel. It was warm and I only started it up when he was inside.

He thought it was petrol engined all through the next 30 miles... (Mind you he drives a 1995 Mercedes 300D estate and a 1998 Vectra diesel estate so no real comparions.. old technology)
madf
Mondeo Diesel Auto - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
Anne has an 05 reg Mondy Diesel Auto and it is a good combination.
ISTR it's the 115 bhp with the same tiptronic-style autobox used in the Jag. It's always eager to pull in any gear and isn't hunting up and down constantly like the petrol autos she's had previously.
Yes, it's a little rattly from cold, especially from outside the cabin, but after a minute or two you'll have forgotten about that.
Does 45 mpg even if you're cruel to it too....

Simon
Mondeo Diesel Auto - wazza
Are you buying the mondeo on the mobility scheme? Could not find it on their current list
Mondeo Diesel Auto - Croydonman
Waza
Yes leased under " Motability" scheme.
The 2.0 ltr. diesel is very recent addition.
If you have vehicle under scheme you may like to know initial cost for auto £2300 as opposed to circa £3300 for petrol 2.0 ltr. 3 years ago.
Thanks for your interest
Mondeo Diesel Auto - DP
Our Scenic has fooled people into thinking its petrol. In most day to day driving situations, there's just a distant hum from up front which is drowned out by normal conversation.

You can tell at high revs and idle, but that really is it

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Mondeo Diesel Auto - craig-pd130
The new Mondeo's refinement and noise suppression really is a step ahead.

Having driven one AND taken it to 4000rpm+ through the gears, I can say with confidence that the usual diesel thrum and clatter is simply not there.

It makes my Passat B5.5 PD130 sound and feel like a tractor. I know VAG PDs are not refined but I've driven latest generation Mercs, Audis, BMWs, Accord diesels etc and the Mondeo is very very hushed indeed.
Mondeo Diesel Auto - NowWheels
The new Mondeo's refinement and noise suppression really is a step ahead.

[snip]
the Mondeo is very very hushed indeed.

I think it's a matter of sound insulation between engine and driver rather than a smooth engine. I heard a new Mondeo starting from cold a few weeks ago, and it sounded mightily agricultural. But then I was outside the car
New Mondeo Diesel - whoopwhoop
Tripe you have obviously driven the wrong ones.
I have just come back from Italy and there I drove around in a hired
Fiat Croma. It was still hot from its last drive when I got it. Upon
start up I had no idea what engine was in there as there was no
noise or virbrations to give the gamne away. It was as it turned out buy
whipping up the bonnet a 2.4 multijet diesel.

Understandable. Your hearing has probably been damaged beyond repair by the last year of driving a car with the "bag full of spanners" asthmatic wheeze-box otherwise known as the VAG 1.9 PD engine.

New Mondeo Diesel - Pugugly {P}
Meanwhile on a website where insults are only good natured, somebody asked a question about the new Mondeo. In other words stop arguing and get on with it :-)
New Mondeo Diesel - Mr.Tee43
Asthmatic VAG 1.9 PD engine ?

My 130 TDI Bora is anything but, as a driver of a high powered Mercedes on a French peage would confirm after a bit of fun and games on holiday.

You cannot have driven one to make such a blinkered comment.

Ignorant !

I use the word not as an insult.
New Mondeo Diesel - NowWheels
Asthmatic VAG 1.9 PD engine ?
My 130 TDI Bora is anything but as a driver of a high powered Mercedes
on a French peage would confirm after a bit of fun and games on holiday.

For a moment I read that as an indication that someone had been racing on a public road, which I'm sure couldn't possibly be the case ....
New Mondeo Diesel - Mr.Tee43
Making progress !

When in Rome............
New Mondeo Diesel - craig-pd130
Nowt wrong at all with the grunt and go of the PD130 motors ... but even their best friends would say they are a shade uncouth :-)

I will really miss the instant shove when mine goes ...