What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
98 1.6 Engine blown will a 1.4 engine fit ? - cox1984
hi i have a 1988 r reg 1.6 polo and i've blown a piston, would a 1.4 polo engine fit in my car? thanks
s
98 1.6 Engine blown will a 1.4 engine fit ? - GregSwain
In theory, after a LOT of work, including potentially replacing almost everything under the bonnet, it'd fit. In practice, find another 1.4 lump and put that in.
98 1.6 Engine blown will a 1.4 engine fit ? - stuartl
Greg, I take it you MEANT to say another 1.6 lump.

In my experience it is always easier to replace like for like unless of course you want to upgrade for more power. Like for like engine changes are pretty simple, relatively speaking
Greg I take it you MEANT to say another 1.6 lump.

Yes!

Not familiar with VAG cars at all, but on a lot of cars the engine bay layout is totally different with different engines. Air filter in a different place, screenwash bottle etc etc - one headache after another. Plus of course the ECU will be different, and the wiring loom may well be different too. Why on earch anyone would want to replace a 1.6 with a 1.4 is beyond me (other than cheaper road-tax as it's pre-2001!). Go out and find another 1.6 - possibly the same lump as used in the Golf?
Why on earch...

EARTH (think it's time for bed!)
98 1.6 Engine blown will a 1.4 engine fit ? - Screwloose
cox

Your only practicable option is to locate the 3-letter engine code on your existing engine and source the EXACT same code from an identical year. Even then there are so many detail variations that you could hit snags.

VAG used over 50 different engines in the MkIV Golf alone; the engine size is only the beginning.
VAG used over 50 different engines in the MkIV Golf alone; the engine size is only the beginning.

Fifty?!!!!! Why?! Didn't they get it right the first time?! That's unbelievable! Typically manufacturers stick with the same basic design which gets slightly altered as time goes on. As an extreme example look at Ford with their OHV 1.3 litre from the 1960s!

Based on what SL has said, it mightn't be worth repairing the car at all, as the search for the correct engine will be very 'needle-in-haystack'. My advice now would be to cut your losses and scrap the car. An engine will set you back a fair amount (if you can find one), and that money would be better spent towards a replacement vehicle.
98 1.6 Engine blown will a 1.4 engine fit ? - Screwloose
Greg

Hence my suggestion that knowing the engine code was crucial. Although many are based on the same basic block; the amount of variation is sometimes staggering - even on different build-years of the SAME engine code!

It's very easy to stray into blind alleys when diagnosing VW's [now half of my work!] when even the best data sources can't always keep up.

If the OP can find a matching engine code and year; then the chance of a mis-match is massively reduced. It SHOULD then be plug-and-play....
I still find is astounding that there are 50 different variations under the bonnet of one model. Makes me a bit smug that I bought a 1.4 Almera - if you've seen one, you've seen them all!

Surely there's not THAT many 1.6 Polos around (most would've been 1.4 surely) - finding one with the same eng code and year of manufacture will be a hell of a job.