UK car in Europe, how long? - Dave N
I'm taking the car with me to Sweden, but can't seem to find out exacty how long I can keep it on UK plates.

Everyone says 6 months, but is that continous, total for a year, total for ever? I spoke with the Swedish authorities and they said max 6 months continous, but only for cars from outside the EU. As long as it's insured min. 3rd paerty, taxed and MOT'd, and from another EU state, they didn't seem to think it was a problem to stay as long as you like.

Anyone know where it actually states what's legal, and if it's country dependant, as Spain now appears to require anyone other than tourists to re-register almost immediately.
UK car in Europe, how long? - Ruperts Trooper
It's obviously country dependent, each country deciding how to treat visitors cars.

If Swedish authorities state no limit for EC cars, then it's no limit.

I'm not sure how you get insurance here for continuous use abroad.
UK car in Europe, how long? - pmh
www.stuartcollins.com/

try them, they gave cover to a friend for 12 months in France. (with the odd visit to Spain to break the 6 month continuous bit...)

New cars do not require an MOT for 3 years remember.
--

pmh (was peter)

UK car in Europe, how long? - Screwloose
Dave

You will need to ship it back to the UK to get it MOT'd [if applicable] every year, as I'd imagine that VOSA test stations are a bit thin on the ground in Sweden.
UK car in Europe, how long? - Dave N
"I'm not sure how you get insurance here for continuous use abroad"

I'm just going to run it on UK insurance as 3rd party only. It's not worth much money, and there's little car theft in Sweden. If it catches alight, then it's hardly the end of the world. Ha, a 15 year old RHD car, that looks like it's best years are behind it is hardly going to be high up on any Swedish car thieves' hit list. Plus there's no travellers there, so even the Ifor Williams trailer should be reasonably safe.

I'll be coming back a couple of times a year anyway for shooting, so can get it MOT'd then, and everything else can be done on the internet. It will probablyy stay in the barn most of the time anyway, once I get myself a Volvo.
UK car in Europe, how long? - Bill Payer
there's little car theft in Sweden.

err...there's actually more car theft in Sweden than in the UK.
a 15 year old RHD car that looks like it's best years are behind it is hardly going to be high up
on any Swedish car thieves' hit list.

I thought older cars were always more likely to be stolen, as they're easier to steal?