What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - J1mbo
Why does HJ always refer to the 2001 Mondeo as a mk2, Ford call it Mk3, everyone else in the world calls it a mk3! Mondeo MK1 was 1992, MK2 1996 and MK3 2001, Mk4 2007. I've owned a Mk2 and a Mk3.

Rant over. (phew)

[Subject line edited to remove hysterics...it's only a Mondeo, calm down dear. ;-) PG]
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - milkyjoe
i thought the mark three was a tuesdayo.........blimey relax dude
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - Dynamic Dave
J1mbo,

I'll make HJ aware of your comments.

DD.
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - henry k
Why does HJ always refer to the 2001 Mondeo as a mk2?

It could be because, IIRC, originally the 1996- was called a revised MK1 as indeed it was.
IMO it was only subsequently referred to as a Mk2.
Thus the 2001 would have been the MK2 as it was substantially different.

>>Rant over. (phew)
Hows the driving ? ;-)
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - Round The Bend
Agree. The 1996 was only a face lift with new lights front and back and a few bits of trim. It was n't a new model.
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - jc2
Ford never revise cars-their word is "FACELIFT".
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - Dynamic Dave
HJ's tied up right now, but this is the email reply I had from him.

"what people call a Mk II Mondeo was really a facelift of the Mk 1. If you follow their logic then the new Mondeo is the Mk V, because the second Mondeo body was also faclifted mid life.I have restriced the Mks to the bodyshells. That's my logic, anyway."

2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - kithmo
"what people call a Mk II Mondeo was really a facelift of the Mk 1.
If you follow their logic then the new Mondeo is the Mk V because the
second Mondeo body was also faclifted mid life.I have restriced the Mks to the bodyshells.
That's my logic anyway."

Actually the 2001 - 2007 Mondeo II, model CD132 (AKA Mk3) has had two facelifts one in 2003 and another in 2005, so the new mondeo should be the Mk VI ;0)
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - henry k
Ford never revise cars-their word is "FACELIFT".

>>
Thats the word I was looking for. Thanks :-)
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - Quinny100
The Mk2 or Mk1 Facelift was a bit more than a facelift - almost all of the panels changed, there were revisions to the suspension and the interior changed a bit too.

The Mk3 (2001-2007) received only minor changes in comparison - the panelwork from a 2001 car is identical to that of the last Mk3. The only bits that changed really were bumpers, 3 different sets of rear lights, wheels, door mirrors, interior trim, ventilation system and the radio.
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - carl233
I have to agree the MK2 (1996) facelift was a major project, the gear change, suspension, interior; safety systems were all heavily changed.

The trade refers to the 1996 model as a MK2 and not a MK1. The changes in 2003 and 2005 with the MK3 were minor compared to the huge 1996 list of engineering revisions.
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - J1mbo
When ever I wanted parts the 96 model (mine was 98) was refered to as mk2. The changes made to the 2001 during its life where very minor, mostly interior and common faults fixed etc.... So they I suppose are facelifts.
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - SpamCan61 {P}
>>Dave never had this problem with his Vauxhalls which are clearly A,B,C,D,E,F, etc.

Even then some folks insist on calling the facelift Omega B an Omega Mk. 2!
Everyone in the trade refers to the 96 Mundano as a MK2. I am not aware of anyone in the motor trade that refers to the 96 model as a MK1.
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - kithmo
and different grills & front fogs
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - Ruperts Trooper
Somewhere else it was pointed out that models never have a mk1. Mark numbers can only be allocated by manufacturers, but they never identify the initial model as a mk1 as that implies it'll be changed soon.

Many places used to refer to Cortina mk5, but according to Ford it was the revised mk4.

I was recently searching the internet for parts for Freelander 2 - I discovered that some suppliers have already used Freelander mk1,2 & 3 for the original.
Dave never had this problem with his Vauxhalls which are clearly A,B,C,D,E,F, etc.

Except that the Vauxhall Vectra mk1 is the Opel Vectra-B because the Cavalier mk3 was Vectra-a**
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - rtj70
Maybe a poll is in order. Lots seem to think the new Mondeo is the mark IV and HJ disagrees, as do most of the press and other sites.
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - rtj70
That reads wrong.... I meant it to say the press on other sites also disagree with HJ.
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - cheddar
To answer:

"what people call a Mk II Mondeo was really a facelift of the Mk 1. If you follow their logic then the new Mondeo is the Mk V, because the second Mondeo body was also faclifted mid life.I have restriced the Mks to the bodyshells. That's my logic, anyway."

It is actually very clear.

Yes the '96 on MkII Mondeo was not a totally new model and was a facelift of the '93 MkI though was a major redesign with significant panel changes that warranted being called MkII. The 2000 on MkIII has had one facelift ('03) and a few later tweaks ('05) none of which were significant enough to justify a redesignation.
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - MichaelR
HJ is on his own here - this is the ONLY site where the Mk1 and Mk2 Mondeo is considered as one and as such it's very confusing. A Mondeo II to everyone except HJ is a 96-00 Mondeo. Ford call it that, all the parts companies call it that and all the owners call it that.

The Mk1 was more than just facelifted in 1996 - there were significant bodyshell changes as well. This did NOT happen with the Mk3 at any stage in its life.

1993-1996: Mk1 Mondeo
1996-2000: Mk2 Mondeo
2000-2007: Mk3 Mondeo
2007-Present: Mk4 Mondeo

It really is that simple and IMHO the terminology on this site should be updated to reflect this.
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - Pugugly {P}
MK1

The 1993-1996 range had the following trim levels:

Mk II

The 1997-2000 range had the following trim levels:

Wikipedia's keeping HJ company so someone else out there must have the same view, and whoever wrote the Wiki page on this is a serious anorak.
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - Xileno {P}
Nothing for trim levels? I know it's a Ford but... ;-)

Isn't Wiki saying the same as MichaelR?
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - Pugugly {P}
Aha ! I was waiting for someone to spot that. If I was unethical I'd edit myself - oh for an edit button.
Ford knows best, the Ford TIS and parts software systems show the Mondeo as:

MK1 1993-96
MK2 1996-00

Technically the MK3 00-07 is built on the same platform, look underneath a MK3 and you will see the floor plan is the same as a 1993 Mondeo. However floor plans aside the 1996 revisions were major and all people in 'the know' refer to it as a separate MK.
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - tyro
Confusing business.

It's not just the Mondeo. It's also the Fiesta

Wikipedia believes that the current Fiesta is the Mk7, but some people believe that it is the Mk5, and that the Mk4 (i.e. 1995 to 2002) and Mk5 (2002-the present) simply had face lifts in the middle.

HJ appears to believe that it is the Mk6 - that the revision of 2000 was a new Mk, but the 2005 revision was not.
Shouldn't the manufacturer, in this case Ford, be the sole arbiter of mk numbers?

Journalists, web sites, pattern parts suppliers, mechanics and owners may all have differing views on what justifies an increase in mk number but it's important that we're not confused.

I personally wouldn't count "facelifts" otherwise we'd have to treat each model year as a new mk for some cars.
Just had a response from a supplier over Freelander 2 confusion:-

"Hi,

We list the 2007 Freelander as the Mk4 - we do not have anything available for this model at the moment

Kind regards

Alastair Day

Auto Styling UK Limited

www.autostylinguk.com"

So there we have it, the Freelander 2 is already the Freelander mk4 - words fail me!
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - mike hannon
I really must print out this thread and use it for those nights when sleep just completely evades me...;-)
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - Blue {P}
Lol :-)

I've had a MK1 1994 and currently have a MK2 2000 model, they may look similar, but there's a considerable difference between the two I must say. Definitely a new MK in 1996.
Blue
2001 Mondeo is a Mk3, not Mk2 - cheddar
For info HJ has now sorted this.

Regards.