What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Claim 20p a mile - for using your bicycle - Stuartli
Just been looking up some VAT matters for a friend and came across this website:

www.onestop-bookkeeping.co.uk/business_info.php#5

According to its contents with regard to using vehicles for business use, it also states:

"..and for those of you who are environmentally friendlier, you can also claim 20p/mile for business journeys made on your bicycle."

New one on me. Anyone else aware of it?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Claim 20p a mile - for using your bicycle - milkyjoe
nice idea but how do you prove your mileage to the vat man, petrol reciepts is easy , but dropping your trollies to reveal a pair of well toned legs dont really amount to a hill of beans
Claim 20p a mile - for using your bicycle - nortones2
Mount a bike computer on said bike: speed, average, maximum, trip, total miles.
Claim 20p a mile - for using your bicycle - Hamsafar
What it means is you can get up to 20p per mile before Inland Revenue demand tax on it. This is to stop people who get paid £30k getting paid £5 a mile instead and getting paid the minimum wage thus saving lots of income tax.
Claim 20p a mile - for using your bicycle - Baskerville
Not quite the same thing, but back in the early 1990s working as a civil servant I used to claim mileage for using my bike for work journeys. And why not? I had to buy cycling gear and keep the thing in running order. I think it was 12p a mile, so significantly cheaper than hiring a car or taking the bus, and faster across town too. I saved the UK treasury quite a few quid by doing that and it was over 15 years ago.
Claim 20p a mile - for using your bicycle - milkyjoe
i think il enter the tour de france next year , by the end of the tournement il be quids in .....
Claim 20p a mile - for using your bicycle - daveyjp
We can claim bike mileage, but in Pennine Yorkshire not many people take up the offer!
Claim 20p a mile - for using your bicycle - IanW1977
I'm sure you can claim in the NHS for this too.

Claim 20p a mile - for using your bicycle - Bromptonaut
Civil Servants can certainly claim 20p per mile.

Use the facility regularly between my Chancery Lane office and Departmental sites in Westminster. Much better value for the taxpayer than the return tube fare and quicker as well!!!!!
Claim 20p a mile - for using your bicycle - David Horn
I worked out that my bike costs me £32/hour to ride so 20p a mile doesn't sound too bad!
Claim 20p a mile - for using your bicycle - GregSwain
I'm sure you can claim in the NHS for this too.

You can indeed. When I was a radiography student I was paid 23p/mile for car mileage, but would've still got 10p/mile had I used a bike. Not likely as my weekly 200 claimable miles might've taken a while by bike!
Claim 20p a mile - for using your bicycle - turbo11
Yes.As I now work as a contractor, I claim 40p/mile for my commute.The journey has to be purely work journeys ie commute to/from work giving destinations and post codes with the shortest route mileage claimable. I wish I lived close enough to claim 20p/mile unfortunately a 140 mile daily commute by bike is even beyond me,especially after a typical 14 hour day.
Claim 20p a mile - for using your bicycle - Cliff Pope
I used to claim bike mileage from the GLC years ago. It was much the quickest and pleasantist way of getting around London.
Claim 20p a mile - for using your bicycle - Mapmaker
>>Yes.As I now work as a contractor, I claim 40p/mile for my commute.

You quite possibly can't. Are you by any chance paid by an umbrella company - they confuse PSAs with deducibility of expenses against tax.
Claim 20p a mile - for using your bicycle - Gromit {P}
A professional society I'm a member of pays 20p/mile for cycling to attend their meetings. They also won't pay the cost of car journeys unless you can demonstrate there was no other suitable way of travelling. Both of which makes sense, as they're based in central London.
Claim 20p a mile - for using your bicycle - AlastairW
You can also claim for walking (12p per mile iirc)
Claim 20p a mile - for using your bicycle - Mapmaker
Alastair, are you saying that you can claim a tax deduction for business-related walking? I couldn't find anything in hmrc's manuals...
Claim 20p a mile - for using your bicycle - pug_leeds
The HMRC inspector's manual ( tinyurl.com/2yplfe ) gives the rates payable. If your employer will pay the 20p per mile it is free of tax and NI. If they pay less (or nothing) you can claim tax relief for the difference between what they do pay and 20p. To support a claim you would need to demonstrate the business reason for the journey and the starting and finishing locations.

Claim 20p a mile - for using your bicycle - Lounge Lizard
What's a 'bicycle'?

If it's a some kind of personal road-transport contraption then I'm sure it's not been mentioned on this forum before or on Top Gear.

I'd gladly pay 20p per mile NOT to use one. Or am I doing that already, maybe.
Claim 20p a mile - for using your bicycle - Baskerville
I'd gladly pay 20p per mile NOT to use one.

You can send me a cheque or pay by PayPal if you like. I have my eye on a new Cannondale.