What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
06 1.8TDCi Engine re mapping - Marko
I own a 56 Focus 1.8TDCI. I have been told engine re mapping not only improves performance but also fuel efficiency and drive ability. Does any one know where I could find out more information.

Engine variant edited into the subject line - OOooooh as per the stickey up there ! - PU
06 1.8TDCi Engine re mapping - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I have become involved with DPT (Diesel Power Tuning) www.dieselpowertuning.co.uk. I have a Merc E320CDI with which I tow a large twin-axle caravan. Fuel economy was always reasonably good but since fitting one of these units I have noticed a significant improvement. For example, my wife uses the car to commute around 15 miles each way to work in reasonably heavy traffic, the readout on the mpg display would typically read 25 to 26 at the end of the trip, now reads between 31 and 32. A regular longer trip of between 40- 50 miles would just see 38-39 but now reads 43-44 but the best improvement has been when towing. this has improved from 21-22 to 25-26. The car pulls more strongly and smoothly especially between the 40 -60mph with the van in tow and you realise you are merely resting your foot on the gas pedal on a journey. I am informed by my colleague who drives a TD4 Freelander (manual) that the improved mid range torque means fewer gear changes and hence better economy.

I must disclose that I am now an installer of these units.

Andrew

--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
06 1.8TDCi Engine re mapping - oldtoffee
My experience over several modified diesels is that driveability and performance are substantially improved and overall fuel economy is no better or worse. Certainly because you have extra torque you may not need to change down and rev the car quite so hard or long to get to the speed you want to. So that can possibly save a bit and if you don't constantly exploit the extra power that often I'd imagine you might see a small improvement. But the extra power is quite addictive and more power comes from amongst other things more fuelling so IMO it's a swings and roundabouts scenario.