What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
power loss at low revs - 02 1.8 petrol. - BK
hi guys, new to the forum so lets start, i have a 52 1.8 duratec mondeo its done 50,000 miles, at low revs say 35 mph in 3rd put your foot down and nothing until it gets around 3,200 rpm then it takes off like a rocket !! my old mondeo 1.8 zetec ( 98 ) would leave this new one standing.. any thoughts on this problem ? tried resetting the ecu by removing the pos batt lead but still the same.. fed up with it now, shame because its a top drivers car.. any thoughts ? cheers, BK ( BATH UK )

Edited to include engine variant. - PU
OK - no-reply, thanks, will seek advice elsewhere !

Fair enough but no need to be so impatient - shouting moderated and spelling corrected. -PU
power loss at low revs - 02 1.8 petrol. - injection doc
Try removing the Air flow meter & wash it out with carby cleaner & if it improves suspect AFM. To be honest it could be a multitude of things but AFM quite common & doesn't always show as a fault
Doc
power loss at low revs - 02 1.8 petrol. - carl233
Had the same problem - in my case it was resolved by a tank of 98 RON fuel and a dose of injector cleaner. Run the vehicle to at least 4000RPM to 'clean out' injectors.
thanks lads if your refering to the amf ( air flow meter) found the mass air flow meter on the zetec engine but seems not to be the same on the 52 model ? were the hell is this ? not being stupid but this duratec engine got me beat !!!! cheers , BK

BK
power loss at low revs - 02 1.8 petrol. - Ford Dagenham
Hello

I would follow the advice of Carl233

Fill it with super unleaded and a nice strong bottle of injector cleaner.

Give it an italian tune and see if it helps.

My current mondeo was a bit sluggish when changing into third so i had it checked by Ford and found that because i drive a bit slower than everyone else it carb'd up the injectors.
--
(iam not a mechanic)
Martin Winters
it also seems to go alot quicker when its cold, but as soon as it gets hot it gets less responsive,!
BK
power loss at low revs - 02 1.8 petrol. - injection doc
How's your loss of power? I seem to remember that the petrol engine duretecs had a progressive balance butterfly control in the inlet manifold manifold close to the ports & the spindles break causing the butterfly to drop off around 50k & apart from possible engine damage will make the low end power suffer. I can't remember whether fords replace these under warranty, Im sure a TSB has been issued. Its quite common on a few makes. manifolds £200ish. Common on Mercs too & they are about 1k so stick to a ford
Doc
just to add been filling up with shell super actane petrol and must say it has improved the performance quite alot but the car still runs better when cold than hot, its not responsive when hot ? any ideas ? cheers,
BK