What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Haggling for a new-ish Honda Civic at a dealers - valmiki
Hi

I've been looking around at some new Civics, to replace my wife's ageing 2001 Civic and a local-ish dealer is selling a 2006 Honda Civic 1.8 EX with low-ish mileage for £13995. I'm tempted to go up there this sunday when it's hot, and hopefully empty, and offering him £13000 cash (or equivalent). I'm not to good at haggling, and this is the sort of money I want to spend, do you think he would drop down so far?

I'm sure he'd do me on the part-ex, so I'm prepared to sell the old Civic in the paper and get some more than he would offer me, I'm just hoping that August would be slow with people on hols, and the impending new reg coming out to make him do me a deal. He's also got multiples of the same model, same year, in a range of colours.

What I'm really asking, is can I get away with haggling a £1000 off these cars at these prices, or is that too much? I know I can wait until Sunday and I'll find out myself (duh), but a little knowledge of how realistic I should be would help set the tone!

cheers

valmiki

Correct model year edited in for you - PU
Haggling for a new-ish Honda Civic at a dealers - 659FBE
Try it, you've nothing to lose, but the absolute golden rule is to be prepared to walk away empty handed.

I did this when shopping for my Skoda Superb (a good candidate for a hard bargaining session). I made a low cash offer to a dealer - offer refused. I then left my card on the table and said that I would hold the offer open for a week.

Three days later, I found a better one to match my target price. With some satisfaction, I 'phoned the original dealer and withdrew my offer.

Haggling for a new-ish Honda Civic at a dealers - Falkirk Bairn
How long has it been on the forecourt? A deal is more likely the longer it has been around and the VAT payment might be due!

Look for deals on new cars and see how close you can get to the 2nd hand price - few hundred more for a new motor is better than a 2nd hand car.

Bob Gerard in Leicestershire sometimes has good deals on Civics & Accords.
www.bobgerard.co.uk -

seen the website no connection to me
Haggling for a new-ish Honda Civic at a dealers - Pendlebury
Offer him £12500 even - and then come up to £13000 but as the man says be prepared to walk away.
There are a number of strings he can pull to still make a profit and if has enough margin he may be prepared to let it go for his bonus etc.
Honda are doing some offers at the moment and IMO are going for some market share - previously this did not bother them and trying to get a deal on a Honda was very difficult as they sell quite well in limited numbers -i.e. to people like you and I who will probably never own another brand because we have experienced how good the cars are.
Haggling is not difficult - just keep a straight face and walk away when not happy.
It may be that he says no and then sells a few more and needs your sale to clinch his bonus and in that case he will call back in a week or so when everyone else has paid £13995.
A friend has just done this on a new X type estate. He walked into the delaer and handed the sales man an advert with a car supermarket price advert for a x type sport (I think it was £3500 less than sticker price) and told him to give him a call when he could match the price. 3 weeks later he got a call and they did the deal. If you don't ask - you don't get.
Haggling for a new-ish Honda Civic at a dealers - barneybee
I walked away from a dealer and a few days later I got a callback, I saved £750 by being patient so it's worth a go.
Haggling for a new-ish Honda Civic at a dealers - CGNorwich

You can get a brand new 1.8 i-VTEC S 5dr i-SHIFT Auto for £13,717 with 3 year warranty and 12 months tax at DTD
that's a good price for a new one!

I wonder what an EX without the i-shift would go for though, via DTD. That's the trim I'm (well, my wife) is really interested in. I'll look into that.

So I should offer 12500 to start off with, and then walk away offering 13000 with a week for him/her to get back to me.

Sounds like a plan, I think I should go for that, I noticed that the part-ex price on this car is about 13000, and see if they'll bite.
Haggling for a new-ish Honda Civic at a dealers - T Lucas
The one at the dealers is probably an ex daily rental,pay a bit more and get a new one in your colour,especially if you are prepared to sell your current Civic yourself.
I recently sold a crtdi to a dealer Honda dealer who promptly welded 2000 quid to it and sold it very quickly.
Used they do not seem very good value.
I just tried DTD, their price is 16458, so I'd be saving 3500-ish assuming I get it for 13000. I'd settle for that, also not sure about the ex-daily rental bit? The models on sale all have less than 10k on the clock.

p.s. I thought HJ suggests that the best cars to buy are ex-rentals as they've been run-in well? (read driven 'aggressively')
Haggling for a new-ish Honda Civic at a dealers - bathtub tom
Please, let us know how how you get on.
Please let us know how how you get on.

oh I will do, no probs, though reading the bugs section of the civicinfo.com forum makes the depreciation on these easier to understand (gulp)

I always thought that Honda suffered from the occasional poor dealer (from my own past experience), not that the car themselves might be shoddy.
Haggling for a new-ish Honda Civic at a dealers - BobbyG
A friend has just done this on a new X type estate. He walked into the delaer and handed the sales man an advert with a car supermarket price advert for a x type sport (I think it was £3500 less than sticker price) and told him to give him a call when he could match the price. 3 weeks later he got a call and they did the deal. If you don't ask - you don't get.

Pendlebury, why didn't your friend just go to the Car supermarket?
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
He wanted the "dealer service" and was of the view that come warranty time you don't get the same treatment from the delaer if you have not bought from them.
That was his response when I asked the question BobbyG.
Haggling for a new-ish Honda Civic at a dealers - geoff1248
SiL stranded in the middle of nowhere at 10-30pm in hubbies Civic with a flat tyre. Calls RAC to change tyre who arrive in a Transit and inform her that these cars do not have a spare but a can of gunge in the boot and a mini compressor to reinflate the tyre. Unfortunately the puncture is more of a tear in the tyre wall that the gunge cannot fix. RAC man then calls in for a recovery vehicle to recover the car and Sil home. Total time taken was almost 3 hours from her first call to the recovery truck arriving. They decided to trade the Civic in the next weekend for a car that actually had a spare wheel.
Haggling for a new-ish Honda Civic at a dealers - tyro
They decided to trade the Civic in the next weekend for a car that actually had a spare wheel.

Er, isn't that a bit of an over-reaction?

I know that it is daft of Honda to supply cars without spare wheels, and I've no objection to customers voting with their feet to indicate their displeasure, but surely it would be simpler just to buy a spare wheel for the Civic and keep it in the boot?
Yeah - I am a big Honda fan but have to admit I do not like the fact that they often provide a tin of gunge instead of a spare.
Haggling for a new-ish Honda Civic at a dealers - helicopter
Just do what I did with the Accord and buy a spacesaver. Its only a £100 or so for peace of mind.

The compressor and gunge sit in the garage.

As far as haggling is concerned - I am completely in favour of making a what might seem to you a silly offer to the dealer, you get them doing it to you on part exchanges so why not ? You might just get away with it.
Haggling for a new-ish Honda Civic at a dealers - nb857
my local honda stockist has used Civics above the list price for new ones, what's that all about?

A spare wheel, tyre, jack and wheel brace will be included in the base price on any future car I buy. My £1,400 Skoda Estelle did in 1990, so a car that lists at £15k or more had better. The only 2 times I have had to change a car tyre have been side wall related (oops) and a can of goo won't doo...
went to the dealers this afternoon, and saw all the ones he had. Hot sunny day, the garage showroom was quiet.

Salesman said that they were ex-Honda management vehicles. Went for a test drive, had the usual sales patter. Interestingly, the 'haggling' lasted all of 5 minutes! The price on the car was a cash price, so no discount to be given. He said he may be able to sort something out on the road tax, but that was it. Flatly refused to reduce the price, in fact he didn't even give me an opportunity to mention a price at all!

I left, and asked him to give me ring if they decide to reduce them in the near future.

I know they were very keenly priced, but still I would have expected them to knock £500 quid off or so!
Haggling for a new-ish Honda Civic at a dealers - bell boy
Game set and match
The dealer has it, you want it ,but not at his price.
He obviously knows his product knows his market and knows that he can sell all his produce
Sounds like my kind of man
Have you ever considered a ford? i hear they are rather good these days ;-)
Have you ever considered a ford? i hear they are rather good these days ;-)

>>

the near-mention of the F-word would send my wife screaming out of the room...now there's an idea ;-)
Haggling for a new-ish Honda Civic at a dealers - Pugugly {P}
Next door neighbour went to look at an ex-demo CRV today (seen in the local press) - Garage was shut.....shut I ask you ! They must know their market as well !
yes it will sell just as well on tuesday and no double times and a day of in lieu to worry about
plus think of all the tyre cleaner they wont have to but
no offence OP i know you are a buyer
t is the new y :-(
>>Flatly refused to reduce the price, in fact he didn't even give me an opportunity to mention a price at all!<<

As I said earlier, Honda do seem to know their market and do not have many problems selling cars - especially to you and I who know they will never let us down and hence want them. - Try getting a discount on a Jazz - now that is a challenge.
Having said that, you needed to establish how far they would go and so going in with a view to making a much reduced offer was still the right way to go IMO. You now know the price and if you do decide to purchase you will not be driving of the forecourt wondering if you got the best deal. Last time I was in my Honda dealer for some new wiper baldes (£8 each which I thought was cheap and that is not just the rubber strip either) there was still alot of people looking at Civic's.
You could either call his bluff and see if he calls you before end of month of go for it.
Good luck.
Haggling for a new-ish Honda Civic at a dealers - pendulum
"The price on the car was a cash price, so no discount to be given."

That's what they all say.

The only people I know of who have paid full asking price for a car are all idiots. I would feel embarrassed to actually pay the full asking price without having obtained any discount at all. You did the right thing by giving your contact details and leaving. The ball is in his court. It's up to you of course, but personally after making an offer I would never go back to that dealer unless they took me up on it, or at least agreed to give me near to the discount I was after.
my thoughts exactly!

who pays sticker price on cars nowadays?