Opinions - cattleman6
I like the new report in AutoExpress about the new C200K Elegance. I actually took a very thorough test drive in the 200 Elegance with auto gearbox a little while ago, I was very impressed.
I see they actually very much recommend the SE version with so as to trim the cost.
It may look a dull colour to some, but after looking around in various showrooms, I think the very dark blue with the darker interior actually suits this car. mercedes is best described as a car with understated elegance.
New Merc C-class - 659FBE
Theyr'e just waiting for your cheque.

New Merc C-class - cattleman6
I respect what you say 659FBE; but after hiring one of the old shape C 200 CDI this last april and driving over 1,000 miles in it in all sorts of different driving conditions, I know I would be getting a good car if it was a new C Class Elegance or indeed the cheaper SE version.
New Merc C-class - Bill Payer
Here's a video for you about the C Class:

tinyurl.com/25qbaw
Bill Payer thanks for showing this video.
If you print in C Class Whatcar Brooklands in to Google search and watch the clip on what certain Whatcar readers thought it is quite interesting. Of course it was first impressions, as they hadn't driven it yet.
New Merc C-class - RickyBoy
I've driven/delivered new Merc's on a part-time/casual basis for the Corporate Division of my local dealership for around 12-months now.

Apart from the CL500 and the CLS63AMG (my current faves!) I've got to say that the new C-Class Sport (Auto) is an absolutely top motor to drive. My only quibble is the Volvo style 'pop-up' monitor (I much prefer the Command System set solidly into the centre console) and the 'cheapish' finish of the dash surface in general. It seems to attract an inordinate amount of dust & dirt.

Spent most of last month moving demonstrators around the country as there was a shedload of interest from our client base.

Plenty ordered for September 1 delivery as a result. It looks absolutely awesome in Metallic Red or whatever fancy-dan hue it is labelled in the brochure!
Your letter is extremely interesting "RickyBoy". I always really like to see what the people who have genuinely driven it a lot really think. I found that the very light coloured dash and almost orange dashboard top of the one I test drove really didn't suit it. It is such a pity they slightly cheapened the dash.The older shape one which I hired this last April almost felt more classy in the dashboard. The new one as a whole is obviously a very nice car and one worth having. One must check all the details of improvements where it really matters.
I definitely think a tremendous amount of expertise and indeed thought went in to designing this car.
One car I really love is the E Class and I also like the BMW 5-series ( they improved the look lately). I would find the I-Drive a bit complicated. They say the E Class has a fantastic ride and is very refind. They will be updating both cars in late 2008 or 2009. I looked at the pictures on Google search.
Back to the C Class, it would be easier to park in a tight space in a shopping centre car park. One must remember though, that the successful new Ford Mondeo is supposed to be similar in size to a 5 series BMW. I saw a new Mondeo on the way to the HSS ferry at Holyhead the other day.
New Merc C-class - Pugugly {P}
I was genuinely shocked to see how big the new Mondeo is, no doubt there will be old Mondeo sized Focus saloon(hopefully not in Beige Adam if you still pop in).....
Pugugly{P}. I am actually not too keen on the look of the rear of the new Mondeo. I know it is an excellent car.
New Merc C-class - CJay{P}
Judging by your comments on this thread, and the number of recent threads on the c-class, cattleman, there is no doubt you absolutely love the C class.
Yes I certainly like it a lot CJay{p}. They have done a very good job with this car; but as one reporter said, it is a pity they didn't genuinely make it a mini S Class like in the cabin for example. It is very well made; but I found particularly the dashboard plastic ( specially in the very light colour) and the feeling of the back seat in the Elegance, I feel they could have done better.The new Lexus IS 250 and 220D SE cabin has a fantastic wow factor; but the C Class is a more satisfactory car in many many ways. The ride is excellent in the Elegance.The C Class of course has far more rear space. The Lexus IS is a superbly built car and it looks great in black.I only wish they had made it with the inside rear space of an Avensis; but with the quality, good looks and extreme plushness of a slightly bigger Lexus IS 250. They certainly spent money on those cushioned front seats in the Lexus.
As I said before I was impressed with the recently updated old model C class I hired in April 2007. If one really looks into it, the new one must be better all round though. It is definitely a good car to buy, if you don't over spend on extras.
As I said before, my favourite car is an E Class Mercedes Saloon. I also love the recent updates on the 5 series BMW saloon. I know they are of course in a more expensive class though. I feel though it is a mistake going for the absolute smallest engine in these cars. 220 diesel in the E Class and a slightly bigger engine other than the 520 diesel in the 5 series.Obviously one must respect taxes etc.the I-Drive would be a worry with the BMW. I'm talking,as I'm not buying one tomorrow. They are lovely looking cars.
I still am very interested in a new C Class; but my family are not so keen as I often carry a full load of adults. I am particularly keen on an E Class or a 5 series BMW.Up in the North of Ireland I saw a shiny new Black 525d. It really looked lovely. The E Class is a superb car with fantastic ride quality. I know they both have had troubles with reliability. I know in both cases though most of the problems have been fixed.The E Class looks far less showy, but since it's recent improvement the 5 series is now a good looker.They have also improved the I-Drive.I know people very kindly gave me information on that;but the I-Drive still worries me.
New Merc C-class - Pendlebury
Is anybody convinced that MB have fixed their poor manufacturing & quality issues yet ?
With MB's recent record I would wait a year or 2 to see what problems emerge.
I know they are trying hard to fix things but only time will actually tell if they are making a difference.
I would only buy a MB now if I wanted to pay for the privilege of contributing to their improvement programme - as opposed to buying one when you are convinced they have fixed the issues.
Pendlebury. I certainly respect what you said. Worldwide MB have had appalling problems.
I feel though that the correction is very well under way. I have spoken to many professional people including Mercedes Taxi drivers. They are replacing those electronic problems etc. They have been putting a great deal of their profit back into the company. I can afford to wait a good while.
I read BMW also had big problems electrically with the 5 series. They claim to have fixed it. I read on youtube the boss in Germany actually offered a complainer to come to Germany and see himself as they had got rid of their problems. That is a clever boss!!
I know true trust is hard to come by in such cases ( I speak for myself). My present inexpensive car has been incredibly reliable. It has now done 146,000 miles and it still drives superbly.Quantities of included extras and they all still work including the origional battery and clutch etc etc.
I think you are correct cattleman - I am also aware that they are trying hard to fix things and what gives me confidence is that you know a company are serious when they go public with their problems & the plans to fix the issues.
I was not trying to be as cynical as my post reads - having read it again myself this am - I was just trying to help and advise. (Although lesson for me is take more time posting to get point acrossin the correct manner).
PS - out of interest what do you drive currently that has provided 146K of trouble fee miles - are you able to share with us ?
Pendlebury. I drive a lovely dark (indigo) blue Seat Toledo TDiSE 1.9 110 bhp. I boucht the car new near the end of 1999. As i mentioned it has now done 146,000 miles. Very recently I had to get the major job done on the cylinder head gasget and also the valves as they got burned when the coolant went down. Funily enough the temperture guage stayed normal. I am suspicious that the gasget might have got damaged from people overfilling the oil. The car goes incredibly well. It litterally has pages and pages of free extras which all work perfectly. It includes climate control, heated electric mirrors which move automatically, stability control and traction control. The car cost 17,000 pounds at the end of 1999. I certainly can't complain.
I suspect the new Lexus IS is one of the few that one can rely on for reliability. In the recent Which ( I am a paid internet member), the 3 series BMW pipped the new Lexus IS for first place for reliability and the E Class Mercedes was put just ahead of the BMW 5 seies. The Audi A6 actually got first place in it's section ahead of Mercedes E Class and 5 series BMW.
To be honest, I wouldn't totally judge a car by those tests, as the general public write in about their cars I think.
Pendlebury. You were extremely polite and you put the points across very helpfully which I very much appreciate.
After having been to Japan on holiday Aprin'06, I would certainly find it hard not to have trust and respect for Lexus.
As I mentioned before I was very impressed with the cabin etc of the Lexus IS 250 and 220 D SE.
I was talking to a person in the motor trade. He got to drive the new C Class and various other cars round a track at the launch of the C Class in Spain. He liked the new C Class and obviously the other cars like the BMW rival. Funnily he was surprised that the Lexus IS was noisier than the Merc and he found he didn't have enough head height when driving the Lexus. I would be very interested if anyone disagrees with that man etc. I personally think the Lexus IS is a lovely car; but it is almost too compact. I must actually test drive it before commenting.
If the Lexus is made as well as the Shinkansen, then I'm impressed.
I wish I could hire an E Class Mercedes or a 5 series BMW just for a day or so to really get to know the car. As I mentioned before that it was incredible hiring an old shape C Class and going on every sort of trip that I do normally,extremely heavy traffic and long distance( I had to hire a car for 12 days whilst mine was out of order due to the cylinder head gasget). I know unfortunately it of course costsa lot; but it's the best way of knowing a car before you spend all your money on it. I know, in the UK they allow you to go on extended test drives for days with luxury cars. I don't know if they do that in the Irish Republic here in Dublin.
Some years ago I hired a Toyota Avensis as my car was in the wrong country. Well it was no Lexus, but I was so surprised at the quality of the plastics and the seats etc. It was a petrol model so on start up it was extremely quiet.A good test is when they give you the most basic model. If that is good then the range is certainly good!!
Cattleman - you may get to test drive for a day or 2 if you ask - it may be a long shot but I know certainly for company car sales our local MB/BMW dealers will always let us have a car for a day or 2.
Of course the only problem with the Lexus deisel is lack of an auto although that may not be a problem to you.
A colleague drives a 320D and I can recomend that combination. (If the 3 seroe sis not too small)
Pendlebury. Many thanks. I will go along and check out the 320D BMW.
New Merc C-class - CJay{P}
Cattleman, are you saying that Mk I Avensis plastic quality was good? I am a bit more than surprised.
CJay{P} I am saying the new model Avensis was better than I expected, as I was given the most basic one they could find in the hire company.The engine was too small,smaller than they allow in the Uk. Around that time they hired me out the very small Toyota which I truly hated. The Avensis though is very much a basic non exciting car; but they are amazingly popular in the Irish Republic.The design dearly needs a sporty update. I am not for one moment saying the plastic is of top German quality.
CJay{P}. I apologise I wrote the last article a bit too late at night, so I have to correct myself.
The only reason i mentioned the Avensis was because I am sorry the Lexus people couldn't have put a little more room in to the Lexus Is in the rear. The Lexus has superb quality.
It's not finantially viable probably altering these cars, as the class the small Lexus is in has all smaller cars of much higher quality and infinitely more expensive.
The Avensis is pretty well made for cars in it's class. It does excellently with sales. The new Ford Mondeo is apparently the King in that class at the moment. The Passat for me looks the nicest and is reasonably well built.
Some years ago I was given the truly most basic Yaris by a hire company in Ireland. It really was horrible to drive. I know at the time the more expensive models were far far better. Apparently the new one is good.
Anyway I haven't given up on the C Class and it's quality!!!
I agree with your comments on the IS rear leg room.
I think whatcar once described the Avensis as the first step to Lexus ownership and I have to agree with them. My brother works on the Avensis production line at Burnaston and after hearing some of his comments on how dedicated they are on quality above all else then I would have to agree with them.
Having said that I ended up with the Accord mainly due to rear leg room & styling - the Avensis always struck me as looking more of an older man's car and of course I am such a young stallion.............. LOL.
Penndlebury. I found your letter very interesting. A lot of people over here like the Honda Accord and there are quantities of Avensis. I think Toyota are the top seller in the Irish Republic. I know they are now the largest in the world. I hope they manage to keep to their quality.I have had a few Avensis taxi rides recently in Dublin, they have just updated it's quality and I was pretty impressed to be honest. It does very well in it's class.
I found yet another AutoExpress road test on youtube last night. If you print emhewson in to the youtube search it will appear.
I still well believe it is best to buy an automatic with mercedes. It will help resale value etc. The dealers mostly say that.
They obviously spent a lot of their money improving roadholding etc etc. I still fancy this car a lot. When I took a test drive in a 200 Elegance, it was the first time ever I had driven an automatic. I am happy with auto or manual, it would never worry me.
If you do decide to go for the C class then my advice cattleman would be to have an auto - especially with the MB foot operated parking brake (not sure what configurtaion is in the new C class). MB autos are much easier to shift when you decide to trade it in. I have also looked at the review on 4car.co.uk and they rate it highly except for a flimsy boot - which is basically saying they cannot find anything wrong and MB have driven 200 cars 15M miles to ensure decent quality & reliability. Canadiandriver.com are also a good website as I find they report on cars from a North American perspective which is usually driven by reliability and service rather than image etc.
I really like the look of it but I am always nervous of buying anything but Jap because I value reliability & dealer service above all else - which means I am probably missing out on some good cars.
Thanks very much for that very useful information Pendlebury.
There is quite a thorough write up in Parkers on the new C Class.
It just shows the competition is hotting up. Mercedes, BMW and Audi watch each other's every move. If you print in thecarfanatic in to the youtube search and then click on the same name of the sight, you see a youtube video of the new Audi A4 and also one on some slight changes to the Audi A8.
I still fancy a Mercedes or a BMW 5 series in time though; but the new A 4 has pretty good looks.
New Merc C-class - maz64
Don't know about the car (out of my league unfortunately) but surely the worst car advert currently on TV. No problem with the images, but the dialogue...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo_hhTrFR98
They need to copy the catchy Renault ad. they were great to watch.
There is an interesting report with pictures on the new Audi A4 due to be released before long. The website is
www.cartoday.com

I like the new C Class a lot; but take the E Class which has more understated elegance than any other luxury car in my mind.
New Merc C-class - Bill Payer
the new Audi A4

I do have a hankering to own a four wheel drive car - I'm concerned about getting stuck in the slightest of slippy weather in my RWD Merc.

My brother has an A4 Avant and he's very pleased with the car, but has had terrible trouble with Audi dealers - he's tried several and in diffferent part of England and they seem equally appalling. Must be a culture thing with Audi.
Bill Payer. I feel exactly the same way about four wheel drive cars. Audi always amaze me how good they are with four wheel drive. The only problem is an expensive fuel bill; but I too don't like driving on slippery wintery roads. Even though my Seat Toledo is not exactly in this same class, I am used to front wheel drive having had it in several cars ( all from the VW group). I loved driving the hired C class and also the new C Class in a test drive, but I would have to be careful with rear wheel drive in winter.I think a lot of luxury cars are rear wheel drive though. It is interesting what you mentioned about Audi dealers. I remember some of the other makes had pretty awful dealers. People keep on praising Lexus dealers; but I'm quite sure some other dealers must be good.I used to get excellent service with the main Seat people when I lived in Devon. I again get superb service from my local small "platinum" Seat dealer in Dublin.They are small and give me fantastic service. some dealers of much more expensive cars are darned snooty. My brother in Devon has driven BMWs for years and loves them;but many years ago he had a big Audi.A dealer managed to smash it up and then denied that they had done it of course. Everybody's nightmare.He understandably didn't let the dealer get away with it.
I see the new Audi A4 has suddenly appeard in AutoExpress.
Sorry you temporarily need to click on the web adress:

www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews
It's always interesting to see the results of the American crash tests, as so many of their vehicles are of the tall variety.

Please print in to the youtube search:

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety: New Side Crash Tests.
Opinions - barney100
No worries on the quality front, Mercedes have been excellent to me over the last five years and take quality now very seriously after the dodgy period. The new C class looks the business and has been tested to the nth degree with millions spent on making sure this car is right.
Opinions - cattleman6
Thanks for your reply barney100. I like Mercedes best by far. I well believe that Mercedes Benz have improved quality control completely. The previous boss has been replaced. The new man looks as if he gets down to the job quietly and efficiently.
I was so relieved to read your letter.Mercedes is just too important, they will definitely show they are true quality.
Opinions - nick
Have you considered a Jaguar XJ? Fine cars by all accounts and come near the top in reliability and satisfaction surveys.
Opinions - cattleman6
nick. I'll definitely take a good look at it. I kow it's a very good car. Such a shame Ford is selling off Jaguar. It's such a terrible shame that Ford have got in to such a bad financial trouble, as they have excellent cars under their wings. The new Jaguar XJ is a truly lovely car.
Opinions - cattleman6
barney100. I would be very interested to know which model of Mercedes you drive. I just happen to be rather a big fan of the car.
Opinions - cattleman6
with very high prices in Ireland, it is probably better worthwhile paying only a little extra to get a baseline model E Class rather than a C Class. Far more rear space for passengers, more comfortable ride and reasonable residuals. The BMW 5 series is very good, but the 520 D needs to be revved hard to get it moving. Good economy apparently, but not a great engine I have read ( better on paper than in practise I have heard.
Opinions - cattleman6
I wonder if the fairly basic model E Class Mercedes is in fact a better car then the basic BMW 5 series models? When I regularly drive up to northern Ireland I see quite a large number of new 5 series BMW. A lot of people go for the least powerful models understandably.
Opinions - Pendlebury
That is probably a sensible choice cattleman - MB have had a long time to sort out any problems with the E class (and there were a few) but to be fair to them they have done a good job and I imagine it is now a reliable car - as well as having all the other attributes you associate with the brand like refinement etc.
Opinions - cattleman6
Pendlebury. I will soon be going along to various dealers.
Even though it is very popular, the 5 series BMW still has probably too many complications with I-Drive.