What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Design Innovations - Keith S
Following from the design faults thread, there must be a similar list of design innovations that have eliminated many causes of misery.

As a starter for ten I would suggest plastic fuel tanks and those spring loaded radiator hose clips.
Design Innovations - sajid
got a jazz for me the fact that the tank is placed forward than the back freeing up more space, the rear seats lift up, other things like its got 8 spark plugs to mprove the burning of the fuel, read honest johns summary of the jazz, states its a leap forward for 60 years last car was the mini
Design Innovations - Altea Ego
Nothing special about a jazz. Not even the first to have 8 plugs.

Its just a regular car.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Design Innovations - mike hannon
Well, its engineering is sufficiently innovative for it to give motorists looking for good economy an alternative to filthy, stinking diesel.
Design Innovations - Pugugly {P}
so there !

Let battle commence, My next car will be a petrol engined one much as I have loved all my diesels...
Design Innovations - mike hannon
;-)
Maybe I'm just stirring it because I'm bowing out shortly for a visit to the UK and a few pints of Ringwood...
Design Innovations - component part
Innumerable really-there are a lot of cars out there considered mediocre, but pretty much all modern vehicles are built out of hundreds of precision engineered, complex components, the function of which has been innovated and refined over a long period of time. Let's face it, unless a car has a serious ergonomic fault, is ridiculously unreliable or has any outright dangerous flaws then it can be said to contain many design innovations:

Inertia reel seatbelts,
effective crumple zones,
engine components machined to tight tolerances,
ultra reliable fuel injection systems,
airbags,
etc etc

Hard to pinpoint just one really. Suppose you'd have to go back to when the innovation was invented as all cars do much the same thing really, albeit to varying levels of competence and perceived/actual quality.

Just my $0.02 worth:-)
Well its engineering is sufficiently innovative

Pity the fool < Mr T Voice >
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Design Innovations - Dynamic Dave
Cable ties. Wonderful things.

Can be used for a multitude of tasks - from holding CV boots on, to securing cables, to holding that radiator pipe away from the exhaust system, to keeping the kids shackled in the back of the car (joking, before anyone reaches for the report button)
Velcro cable ties.

(you can use those on the kids)
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Design Innovations - OldHand
The first car I had with auto dipping rear view mirror a now elderly 530 BMW. Saved me being blinded at night.
Design Innovations - billy25
And if you've enough of them you can use them as a makeshift repair to hold the car together till you get it home!!

::winces, says sorry an legs it::
Design Innovations - jase1
Nothing special about a jazz. Not even the first to have 8 plugs.
Its just a regular car.

So where's the innovation in a Renault Migraine then? Except for the pink fluffy dice gimmick of course.
Never claimed there was any. Its a car. Prettier than the jazz for sure, but just a regular car.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Fair enough. Thing is, are there *any* truly innovative cars anymore, apart from the big luxury barges?

well if there are they have to be *truly* innovative. Most things have been invented.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I've mentioned this before, but one nice little touch in, of all things, the Daewoo Nubira impressed me.

It has air vents in the side of the dash, which mate with receptacles on the door, which in turn blows air out the top of the door trim onto the side windows, thereby demisting them.

Small little thing, and costs all of a fiver to implement, but I haven't seen this on other cars and it's quite clever.
>but I haven't seen this on other cars and it's quite clever

1979 Fiat 131.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
>but I haven't seen this on other cars and it's quite clever
1979 Fiat 131.

Even if it is reinventing the wheel, I think it's a pity other manufacturers don't do this, and in any case I doubt Daewoo engineers have even *seen* a 1979 Fiat 131!
no-one did after 10 years, they all reverted to iron ore.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Design Innovations - nick
>>but I haven't seen this on other cars and it's quite clever.

1976 Rover SD1
Design Innovations - Kevin
Best design innovation - Disc brakes.

>Nothing special about a jazz. Not even the first to have 8 plugs.

Agreed, both my cars have 8 plugs.

Kevin...
Design Innovations - bathtub tom
>>no-one did after 10 years, they all reverted to iron ore.

Pedant alert!
I hope you mean iron oxide ;>)
Design Innovations - sajid
true the alfa twin sparks had 8 sparkplugs sorry, but having 8 spark plugs in other cars are not common enough, but moving the petrol tank forwards rather than at the back thats innovative
Design Innovations - Pugugly {P}
Didn't the Ford Pinto have its petrol tank in an innovative place ?
Design Innovations - Big Bad Dave
I would like a cruise control with two settings so that I could flick between 60mph and 30mph as I pass through towns on my regular journey.

Does anybody already offer this?
Design Innovations - Old Navy
I would like a cruise control with two settings so that I could flick between
60mph and 30mph as I pass through towns on my regular journey.
Does anybody already offer this?

Conrad Anderson do a "cm8" module with 3 speed memories.
Design Innovations - Nsar
The Prius engine. OK it's fuel consumption is unremarkable and otherwise the car is pretty ordinary but it is innovative.
Design Innovations - Vincent de Marco
Man, you're spoiled...
- - - - - - -
Free enterprise is the basis of western democracy.
Design Innovations - Kevin
>but moving the petrol tank forwards rather than at the back thats innovative

911?

Kevin...
Design Innovations - Kuang
The Miura had a fore tank, apparently contributing to lift as it emptied. As for aircon and vents - doesn't one of the new landrover concepts have a series of tiny holes around the entire cabin to chill the car without draughts? That's potentially very smart indeed.
Design Innovations - cheddar
As per my post in another thread today the Montego of all things had great wipers, they parked right off the glass area under the rear edge of the bonnet, great when cleaning the screen, then moved onto the glass when swithched on, stayed on the glass even between intermitent wipe strokes and only parked again when switched off.