What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
£1500 to spend this weekend - NickS
Hello ladies and gents, hope you are all well.

I came on here about 6 months ago, to get peoples opinions of a suitable car for the Student version of the gumball rally, that we have entered at the end of this month, to raise money for Childeren's Cancer trust. Now with 2 weeks to go (due to some family problems) we are still yet to purchase a car, so this weekend has been dedicated to the search.

We want something a bit different, with a big engine that will get us round our 4000 mile trip to Southern Spain and back with the minimum of hassle, in the maximum of comfort. Short-list so far is:

Jeep Cherokee 4.0
Mercedes 300TE/S-class (if we can find one in budget
BMW 5/7 series (530/535)
Range Rover 3.9

Or any other suggestions!

Help is really appreciated guys!!
£1500 to spend this weekend - Soupytwist
Rather than looking for a specific car, I'd spent tonight going round my local supermarkets looking at the 'For Sale' board and noting down anything of interest - depending on where you live you'd probably get a shortlist of 3-5 possible cars to look at over the weekend.
As everyone says when shopping at this end of the market, buy on condition. You might strike it lucky with a pensioner's pride and joy that they're having to get rid of 'cos they're no longer up to driving it.
--
Soupytwist !
£1500 to spend this weekend - Stuartli
...or local newspaper.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
£1500 to spend this weekend - local yokel
By an Omega off Ebay - there's always plenty, and the 2.5 will carry you there in comfort, and with enough speed when legal. I'd avoid BMWs, and also look at the 230/300E saloons from the last of the W124 model, which is around an M plate from memory.
I did a search local to me on Autotrader - not a million miles from you if that BMW is near you - and among the totally unsuitable found the following that could be worth a look :

a 4 litre Jeep Cherokee
2 Honda Preludes
a Scorpio Ultima
a Porsche 924 with 70 odd thousand miles on it
a 306 sedan
2 Mazda 323s
a 2CV
an Audi 90 20V quattro saloon
a 2.0 16v Primera
a 1980 MG midget

Some more suitable than others, depends if you want the 'likely to get me there' car or the 'will make look a bit wacky and stand out from the crowd car'.
--
Soupytwist !
£1500 to spend this weekend - OldHand
In reply to soupy and FAO NickS : it's probably still going to be 30 degress or hotter in southern Spain in September, do yourself a favour and get a car with working aircon if you're going to be spending so much time in it. Remember he wanted to do it in comfort not in a baking hell of motor noise (as you'd get in the 2CV)
Well of the two categories of car I suggested, the 2CV was firmly in the 'will make look a bit wacky and stand out from the crowd car' rather than the 'likely to get me there' car...
--
Soupytwist !
£1500 to spend this weekend - teabelly
Had a look on autotrader and I found a scruffy paintworked toyota celica L reg for £1000 here.
dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/88802/stock.htm

A tata gurkha diesel for £1000: www.tradeupmotor.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=11927&page...1

Alternatively I also found a y reg sukuki swift for £1000. Probably get you there with a lot less drama than all the others :-)

teabelly
£1500 to spend this weekend - Brit_in_Germany
Or simply donate the money plus the expected petrol an other costs to the charity.
£1500 to spend this weekend - rtj70
I assume all of the sponsorship money will go to the charity... therefore isn't this going to cost a lot for you personally to get there and back, including crossing the channel, fuel, accomodation etc.? Assuming 15p/mile in your big engined car then that's £600 to do 4000 miles for fuel alone and the channel crossing won't be cheap.

Or it is a bit like to Mongol rally where you end up using some of the sponsorship for expenses... which would not please me if I were a sponsor.
No we're funding the trip ourselves (car purchase and petrol), and any sponsorship money goes straight to charity. If used it for expenses it would be a free holiday more than anything, and not really a charity event.
Let us know the outcome of the car you buy, and the trip.
Currently corresponding with a guy selling a BMW 730i, J plate- tinyurl.com/2vn5re

Have knocked him down to £1000 as i live locally so can pick it up straight away. Thoughts?
£1500 to spend this weekend - Chris White
I think I'd go for something Japanese if you need to cover great distance in a short time.

Not sure where you're based, but how about a Toyota Camry - tinyurl.com/2wrj7f - 3.0i V6 Sport 4dr Auto Saloon, Midnight Blue, Full Toyota Service History, Unmarked Grey Leather Interior for £1,495

Or a 1998 Mitsubishi Galant 2.5 V6-24 4dr Auto Saloon - tinyurl.com/36j262 - 98k miles. Alloys, full beige leather interior, climate control, cruise control, 6 CD auto changer - £1,600 ono

Chris.
it's good the 7 series is local but I'm always suspicious of cars that have had 'loads spent' other than on servicing and consumables. I can't help thinking they are going to need 'loads more spent' to keep them running.

My vote also goes for a large Japanese car if you want reliability. Plus I reckon elderly german luxo barges are hard to sell on because people assume they are unreliable.

Nissan QX 3.0, Honda Legend, Toyota Camry are all going to be good bets if you choose carefully.

£1500 to spend this weekend - Mapmaker
I reckon you're spending two to three times what you should. £1500 buys you nothing better than does £500 - £750.

Personally, I'd spend £300 of the money on a new cambelt for a trip like that one. And then the balance on an early Audi A6/late 100; a W124 Merc or a Nissan QX (because they're so popular amongst members of this board). Saloon, of course. And the balance will cover your petrol.
I think you'd be better off finding a car that had it changed on schedule buying euro recovery (incidentally there is no reason you can't buy this from ADAC Germany which is miles cheaper than any UK based company) and taking a gamble if you will flog the car off afterwards.

That said mapmaker is correct in what he says there is a chance you'll find just as good a car for £500. What I'd be looking for is a car with recent service/cambelt change and WORKING AIRCON for as little money as possible.
£1500 to spend this weekend - Mapmaker
>>I think you'd be better off finding a car that had cambelt changed on schedule

In principle, OH, of course I agree with you. The problem is that with cars of this age, finding one with a recent belt change can be tricky. Even if it has been done, has the waterpump (if needed) and tensioner?

>£1500 buys you a better car than does £500

Instead of comparing a MK i primera to a MK ii, (where of course your extra money will give you something that looks much better) look for one of the £500ish cars that have been mentioned here. There are plenty of modern cars with all toys for £500ish.

Spend £200 and you're getting a shed, agreed.
I reckon you're spending two to three times what you should. £1500 buys you nothing
better than does £500 - £750.

Having recently (within the last few months) had £1500 to spend on a car I'd disagree that £1500 buys you nothing better than £500-£750.

I was looking for a Nissan Primera and ended up with a P-reg 1997 2.0SE Mk11 model with 75k and full service history for £1400.

Now if I'd have spent £500-£750 I'd have ended up with a Mk1 Primera and probably not a 2 litre with all the toys.

Simply put, if you buy right, you do get a better car the more money you spend.

Chris
£1500 to spend this weekend - flunky
I was looking for a Nissan Primera and ended up with a P-reg 1997 2.0SE
Mk11 model with 75k and full service history for £1400.
Now if I'd have spent £500-£750 I'd have ended up with a Mk1 Primera and
probably not a 2 litre with all the toys.

Nope, you just paid at least £500 too much.

Nissan Primera Saloon (96-99)
2.0 16V SE 4d 1997/P
Average mileage 90,000 miles
Original Price £17,840
Independent Dealer £860
Private Good £805
Private Poor £590
Part Exchange £705
snipqquote

Flunky, I'm sure those prices are meant to be accurate but in this case they don't reflect real world prices.

For a good Mk II 2.0 Primera (varying specs) around 1997 with between 80-90k miles on, you'll be looking at between £900-£1000.

I don't how specification affects cars at this end of the market, but I like my leather, air-con, sunroof, electrics and other bits.

Trust me, I could still get £1400 back for the car if I sold it today (also mine's got 15,000 less miles than the prices you give).

Thanks, Chris :-)
Ebay 120150245068 Camry 2.2 auto saloon - £1295 BiN, 12 months MoT - working air con, looks very good, what more do you need?
Contact the Camry guy, offer him a grand for it and drive away- local yokel's right.
£1500 to spend this weekend - Stuartli
My used car dealer friend had a spotless T-reg Vectra Estate 2.0 CDX the other week at £1,600 - it proved in such demand from potential buyers that he sold it for somewhat more than that price...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
How about this for £895 inc 12 month MoT - take your tweeds and green wellies with you? www.gumtree.com/london/23/12107623.html
£1500 to spend this weekend - LinuxGeek
If possible avoid any fancy old German car within your price range. A friend of mine purchased an old J plate S class Merc from his boss in the beginning of last year and whenever something goes wrong it costs him a bomb each time, since he had it, central locking, starter motor, front door handle, driver side headlight had to be replaced and they COST!
Just look for an estate Japanese car, you could picked up an S/T plate diesel Mazda 626 within your budget. All the best, let us know how it goes!
£1500 to spend this weekend - Sprice
I'd get something with a chain-cam like a Primera GT- good drivers car these and quite quick.
£1500 to spend this weekend - Group B
How about a Saab 9000, 2.0 or preferably 2.3 Turbo (full turbo not LPT nonsense). Very comfortable, fast, very cheap mile muncher. tinyurl.com/2fharv

If you buy wisely it should be reliable. I bought one for £200 with 180k miles on it, no SH, and did another 18k miles with no trouble. You could easily buy a better one than that and be fine for the trip.

As oldhand says get one with working aircon.

Good luck with it, it sounds like a complete hoot. I wish I could go!
£1500 to spend this weekend - RaineMan
I would avoid an Omega as they suffer to many electrical problems. For a UK barge (although German built) I would go for a late Carlton/Senator or the bug eyed Scorpio (far better than pevious model). If lucky you might find a 24 valver. You should get a good one for under a grand. Worth replacing the cambelt if over 40k or 5 years since last replacement (if known!). Aircion useful in South of France and Spain!
£1500 to spend this weekend - JohnPug
As you're driving through France a lot, why not buy something french? If you must have a big engine, how about a Renault Safrane. Ebay has a few and most are under a grand.
£1500 to spend this weekend - rtj70
Best of luck with the event and car hunt. Should be easier than the Mongol rally - they want you to use sub 1litre cars! I think I'd go for a Japanese designed and if possible built car too. Something comfy for the long journey. You'll probably get the money back on your return ;-)
£1500 to spend this weekend - DP
There are a few Scorpio 24v Cosworths on Autotrader under 1500 quid this week. Luxo barges are not my thing, but I have driven a few of these, and always found them an absolute riot. A very good compromise between entertainment and mile munching comfort. Surprisingly quick in a straight line, lovely seats, and loaded with toys, most of which should still work if the car's been looked after.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
£1500 to spend this weekend - XantKing
Might I suggest a Xantia? Almost all available for banger money now, get yourself a decent diesel or the bigger petrol motors with working aircon.

And ignore anyone who might suggest that the suspension and electrics might give trouble, make sure it has decent history and you should be fine. I'm on my third.
£1500 to spend this weekend - Pugugly {P}
A sheddy old Landie - at least it'll make you look the part of the expeditionist abroad !
£1500 to spend this weekend - Hamsafar
The best Omega you can get - even Jeremy Clarkson said they were the most comfortable cars to ride in the back of that he'd ever ridden in (the audience laughed) and he reiterated that he had been in all sorts of Mercs etc.. and the Omega was by far the best.