What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Derailleur gears on motorbikes - Chris S
Has anyone ever manufactured a motorbike with derailleur gears?

They'd be cheaper to manufacture than a conventional gear box and you wouldn't need a clutch.

You could also have a freely rotating sprocket for a neutral gear.
Derailleur gears on motorbikes - jc2
Used to be m/cycles with Sturmey Archers.
Derailleur gears on motorbikes - ForumNeedsModerating
I'm sure I've seen these gears on those mopeds in France - long-ish time ago though. They definitely had the characterisitc hanger below the rear hub.
Derailleur gears on motorbikes - Peter D
Two main problems. The rear sprocket width and the major fact that you would have to have a free wheel or when you backed off the throttle the chain return would tension and snap the derailleur and wrap the chain around the rear sprocket and frame. I can see the rider flying through the air as I type.
I hope that thought of yours did not keep you awake last night. !!
Regards Peter
Derailleur gears on motorbikes - Armitage Shanks {p}
Further quick thoughts, negative I regret! There would be a major problem with transmitting any large amount of power through a derailleur and there would be a problem with the variation in the chain alignment. A chain capable of transmitting high power would not be happy if the drive and driven sprockets were out of alignment.
Derailleur gears on motorbikes - pyruse
Yes, can't see it working with motorbik levels of power.

On the other hand a planetary gearbox like a sturmey archer should be fine; you'd lose a bit of power due to frictional losses, but most motorbikes have so much power they don't know what to do with it anyway.
No problem putting high power throguh planetray boxes, that's why they are used in buses.
They have the great advantage that you don't need a clutch, because all the gear changes are done using band brakes on the different gear cages.
Derailleur gears on motorbikes - Sofa Spud
Quote: "No problem putting high power throguh planetray boxes, that's why they are used in buses."

But not so much in heavy lorries, which tend to be more powerful than buses. Automaitic gearboxes are mostly planetary and buses tend to have auto boxes to make driving easier in city traffic and because engines are usually at the back these days and a mechanical gear linkage would be difficult although not impossible (Some rear-engined coaches have manual gearboxes)

However, deraileur gears give enough trouble on pushbikes so imagine the problems on a motorbike!
Derailleur gears on motorbikes - Sofa Spud
If gyou had petrol-electric drive on a motorbike (engine drives generator, wheels powered by electric motor) it would be easier to argange for a 2-wheel drive bike. It would probably be less efficient than manual but could be mildly hybidised with a small battery pack - oops - I think I'm talking about something that will end up heavier than a Harley-Davisdon!!!
Derailleur gears on motorbikes - martint123
How does it scale? Human on pushbike ?? be generous quarter of a horsepower? Bike at 150HP. So, whats that, 600 times the power?.
Derailleur gears on motorbikes - bathtub tom
'I'm sure I've seen these gears on those mopeds in France - long-ish time ago though. They definitely had the characterisitc hanger below the rear hub.'

I think you'll find that was just the tensioner. I recall old Raleigh mopeds had the same but on just the pedal-powered chain side. The other side had a larger chain transmitting the engine power.

'Human on pushbike ?? be generous quarter of a horsepower?'

I think you'll find a fit athlete can generate approaching one HP in short bursts, and maintain three quarters of that for considerable time.
Derailleur gears on motorbikes - rogerb
Maybe what you saw in France was an ordinary 'push-bike' which had one of these 'bolt-on' 49cc two-stroke powe-packs, with a friction drive on the tyre?
Usually mounted on the rear carrier... they had a brief period of popularity ...late 50s, maybe? (Especially in France, I think!)
They were followed, IIRC, by the Velo-Solex, one of the first 'mopeds'.
Derailleur gears on motorbikes - ForumNeedsModerating
Maybe what you saw in France was an ordinary 'push-bike' which had one of these 'bolt-on' 49cc two-stroke powe-packs,

Yes, could well have been - mind you my memory could have been moderated by, IIRC, M.Pinot et M. Grigiot.