What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - rubber
hi,

Just follwoing on from the thread from the V12 engines.
I have always driven 4 cylinder car, and occasioanly had the chance to drive a few v6's.
I assumed differestn engines will have different characteristics?

Can anyone tell me what each one would be like to drive, overtake, sound etc?

Interested in comments on all engines

3 cylinders
4 cylinders
5 cylinder
6 cylinder
8 cylinders
12 cylinders

why are most of the cars on the road 4 cylinders?

would it be possible to have say a 1.8 petrol v12?
would be awesome in a mondeo!!
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - BazzaBear {P}
Described aurally I would say:

A 3-cylinder sews
A 4-pot whirrs
A 6-pot purrs
An 8-pot growls
a 12-pot screams

Although that's stereotyping for convenience sake. It's also affected by my bias, because I prefer a V8 (80's Aston) to a V12 (80's Ferrari).

And while the V6 which I now have does indeed purr when cruising, it's got a hell of a growl to it when it wants to.
Oh, and I've missed out 10 because I'm not sure I've ever really heard one outside of F1.
Oh, I've stuffed it up. V8 should be roars, not growls.

Basically a pushed V12 sounds like a 50's housewife standing on a chair with a mouse running round the kitchen floor.
A pushed V8 loads like a lion roaring defiance to the very heavens.

Told you I was biased.
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - OldHand

Best thing about V8's? They cause an amusing rocking motion when you blip the throttle.

I prefer flat 6 to V6 simply because they are smoother.

I've never cared about smoothness. You should hear my chat up lines. ;)
I kind of care about performance, although I'm not bothered about ridiculous levels, as long as it's competent. But I'm a sucker for a sweet sounding engine. Hence the Alfa V6.
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - Lud
Most cars are 4 cylinder because it is the cheapest configuration that gives a reasonable combination of power, economy and refinement.

Some Ferraris in the 1950s had V12s displacing only 1.5 litres. Raymond Mays's unsuccessful first BRM project had a supercharged 1.5 litre V16... made a great noise when it was running, but unfortunately didn't run much... the development money ran out before it had been made more or less viable.
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - Mr Tickle
This is an interesting topic. I'm no engineer, but I suspect that a 1.8 v12, while revving very freely, would have so little torque as to be almost useless for normal motoring. I have always been interested in the very rare and, to me, highly exotic straight 8. I don't know why, but it seems far glamorous than a V8. Anyone know why straight 8s never caught on (apart from the length)?

Mr T.
The length of the engine wasn't the problem, but the length of the crankshaft. At high rpm torsional vibration could easily break the thing, so straight-eights tended to have a low rev limit although they had lots of torque and were very smooth.
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - rubber
what about 5 cylinders

wasnt it old audis and volvos who did them?
why an odd number?
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - DP
what about 5 cylinders

Volvo still do, as do Ford (same engine) in the Focus ST, S-Max and new Mondeo.

5 pots warble. It's a lovely, mellow sound that makes me feel instantly at ease. When it's overlaid with a turbo whistle it's very, very special. My mate's ur-Quattro 10v makes a noise to die for.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - ukbeefy
I had heard it was because it was the longest engine they could fit in the space available with not enough space for a 6 either longitudinally ahead of the front wheels (Audi) or not enough space transversely (Volvo) in at least the 850 where it started (yes I know the S80 had a transverse straight 6 later on).

Also Audi were trying to sell it as better than a 4 cylinder without the weight/size of a straight 6.
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - normd2
don't forget the big Harley V-twin - followed one yesterday and went off my route just to listen to the noise as he went up through the gears, burbled off throttle but when he opened it up - lovely, anti-social but lovely.
don't forget the big Harley V-twin -

Ah, the old potato-potato. Harley tried (unsuccessfully) to patent it a few years back.

Cheers
DP

--
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - normd2
I've just sat here going 'potato potato potato' to myself and yes that's exactly the noise - got some funny looks from the others though.....
Ducati's 90° V-twin (L-twin) is my personal favourite of the twin cylinder units, particularly the later Testastretta units.

Utterly glorious, utterly distinctive sound even at its lazy, lumpy tickover, but at 9,000 RPM on WOT with a set of Termignoni pipes, it makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

Cheers
DP
--
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
My RS2 was 5 cylinder and did make a fantastic rasping warble at high engine revs.

My favourite car sound is that made by the flat 4 you find in Subarus however.

Cut n paste the link to hear it

www.scoobyclinic.com/frameset.htm

Not an advert but this outfit are amongst the best around when it comes to Subarus.
3 cylinder engines are also characterful. The best thing about the Daewoo Matiz I was given as a (dis)courtesy car was red lining it in a vain attempt to get it to accelerate.
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - billy25
The "ideal" has to be the 6-cylinder, smoother and silkier than the "lesser" potted engines, and can be equally as "throaty and growlsome" as the "greater" potted engines, but without the drink problem! Tis an engine for all occasions, suitable for taking gran on her Sunday run, through to teaching the "baseball caps" who's boss!! (when needs must! ;-) )

Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - flunky
what about 5 cylinders
why an odd number?

my 5-cylinder turbo Volvo is beautifully smooth and quiet, ideally suited to an executive saloon. Compared to my old car (1.6 litre, 8-valve 4-cylinder) it's hard to even hear that the engine is on.

Some comments on WIkipedia:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight-5

A 5-cylinder engine also gains smoothness over a 4-cylinder engine because, with the latter, there is no point when all pistons reverse direction at the same time. A typical inline-4 has the center pistons rising and falling together and the outer pistons rising and falling together. When pistons #1 and #4 are at top dead centre (TDC), #2 and #3 are at bottom dead centre (BDC).

Every cylinder added beyond five increases the overlap of firing strokes and makes for a smoother engine. An inline-6 gets a power stroke every 120 degrees. So there is more overlap (180° - 120° = 60°) than in a 5-cylinder engine (180° - 144° = 36°). However, this increase in smoothness of a 6-cylinder engine over a 5-cylinder engine is not as pronounced as that of a 5-cylinder engine over a 4-cylinder engine. The inline-5 loses less power to friction as compared to an inline-6.

A 5-cylinder engine is longer and more expensive to manufacture than a comparable 4-cylinder engine, but some manufacturers feel these costs are outweighed by its greater smoothness.
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - billy25
>>Compared to my old car (1.6 litre, 8-valve 4-cylinder)<<

My old car used to have 8 valves as well!!
Trouble was four of them were in the radio! ;-(
An oddity is the V5 engine used in older V-AG cars. As far as I know it shares much of it's design with the V6 but it's a terrible engine. Not particularly nice sounding and not smooth not to mention being heavy and bereft of power. It came in 2 version 150 and 170 bhp- neither any good IMO.
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - cheddar
I had a Bora for a short while, IIRC in 2000, a V5 150 (the 170 was 4valve/cyl), it was not smooth though was charaterful. Likewise my Vectra V6 which was strangely unrefined though nice and gutsy at low revs (compared to a Mondeo V6 for instance) though smoothed out beautifully at higher revs, something to with variable length inlet manifold.
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - Stuartli
A Honda V-Tec given its head beyond around 5,000rpm has the most glorious howl.

The Alfa Romeo three litre V6 also emits a wonderful noise.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - dxp55
Big block American V8 has to take biscuit especially with open pipes and Ducati in bike world -- at moment my V6 sounds grand at 4-5k when supercharger is howling.
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - Group B
Big block American V8 has to take biscuit especially with open pipes

I have to agree dxp, I was at Santa Pod last weekend for the Mopar Euronationals. The noise of a 7.5 litre engine through big unsilenced pipes exiting just behind the front wheels is incredible!

;o)
No one has mentioned the purr of a Citroen flat twin at speed.

No one has mentioned the horrible clamour, worse than any lawnmower, of single cylinder cars like the Bond Minicar or BMW Isetta...

I don't share this passion for large American V8s. They make a graceless, lopsided sort of beat, and when highly tuned go BLATBLATBLATBLATBLAT at large throttle openings.

I'm not saying I don't like the engines. I just think they make a yobbish noise... :o)
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - dxp55
Can I have the honour of being the oldest Yob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haven't been to Santa Pod since early 70's - good old days
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - tyro
>>Basically a pushed V12 sounds like a 50's housewife standing on a chair with a mouse running round the kitchen floor.

No wonder they don't sell many of them :-)
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - ForumNeedsModerating
The nicest sounding/feeling engine I recall was that in my uncle's Daimler Dart (V8 2.5L) sports car. It was cream with, IIRC, red leather interior. It seemed incredibly fast at the time (as a passenger) - I still vividly remember a blast up the 'old' A13 (Grays-Southend section) in 1963. It was seen, I believe, as the less garish & 'yobbish' alternative to the sensational new E-type of the era, and certainly made an impression upon me, more used to Dad's relatively lumpy Ford Consul 375.
On the four cylinder side, the wonderful Vauxhall C20XE in the Astra GTE 16v was proof that a four could be intoxicating. They had that distinctive deep rasp from the tailpipe under load, and a lovely induction hiss around 3,500 RPM that developed into a full blown snarl as the revs climbed. One of my favourite engines, ever actually. Torque everywhere, 7,200 RPM on tap, and in 1000 odd kg of mk2 Astra, astonishingly quick. Also experienced it tweaked to 180 bhp in a Caterham - wow!
--
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - Altea Ego
The finest combustion engine sound I ever heard was:
48 cylinders, 192 valves, 108 litres, 4 superchargers, 4000 BHP, arranged in 4 banks of v12s.

A lancaster bomber.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Four Merlins in a Lanc were / are nearer 6000hp however they sound better in ones, i.e Spitfire, Hurricane or Mustang, likewise the Griffon sounds better in a Spitfire than four did in a Shackleton.
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - mike hannon
My 3-cylinder 991cc two-stroke Wartburg used to sound rather nice, as did the similar 843cc SAAB my friend owned.
Seconded on the Honda VTEC, Stuartli. I still wind it up just for fun, even at my time of life.
And, remembering the sound of one at 120mph, I am even now toying with the idea of finding a nice low-mileage NSX.
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - Pugugly {P}
Merlin - any day of the week.
Four cyl motorcycles with after market exhaust pipes, in the '70s a 400/4 with a Yoshimura system sounded great, now days the 400s and 600s reving well beyond 15000 rpm wail at high revs where as the larger fours have a deeper note, my ZRX with its titanium Akrapovic sounds deep and burbling, mellow at low revs remaining restrained at higher revs, the ZX7R was altogether more urgent in note with the same exhaust system though did not wail like the 600s.

I was following a Faser 600 with a race pipe the other day

Also two strokes with expansion chambers, a twin has as manny firing pulses as a 4 stroke four at the same revs, a triple the same as a six.
Sorry, I was following a Faser 600 with a race pipe the other day, lovely rising falling wail if perhaps a little noisy through some of the quiet villages.
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - Cliff Pope
The broad general rule is that the more cylinders, the more flexible the pulling power.
My Triumph (straight 6) will burble quite happily from walking speed in 3rd gear. If feeling very lazy there is no need for any gearchanges at all, just flicking the overdrive switch in 3rd.
In my early days with a Triumph Stag (V8) I forgot which gear I was in and found it had started effortlessly in top gear - I thought I was in 2nd.
6 cylinders in my view make the most refined noise - quiet purr, with a hint of burbly power when you put your foot down.
V8s are unashamedly made for power, and often make an interesting beat note between the two pipes. You either love it or hate it.
I've never heard a straight 8, but I can imagine it's the best.

I agree about the Daimler Dart - it's on my dream wish-list.
Character Of Different Engines eg V6,V8 - Cliff Pope
And for a real oddity at the other end of the scale, listen and watch a single cylinder semi-diesel Fieldmarshall tractor. At idling speed, about 60 rpm, it heaves up and down with a deep grunt like a steam engine, sending smoke rings out of an enormous exhaust pipe.