What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CB650 - Should I or Shouldn't I - Pugugly {P}

I've been offered one for just over grand - it ticks a few boxes as a second bike. I've owned one before and I know it's shortcomings. It comes taxed and tested, I can insure it for peanuts. Mrs PU is passively against it. The home it comes from is a caring one and has been extensively re-built. I love the reversed Comstar wheels............put me off it.
Honda CB650 - Should I or Shouldn't I - FotheringtonThomas
Try asking a question on Usenet newsgroup: uk.rec.motorcycles. Make sure you've had your rabies jab first.
Honda CB650 - Should I or Shouldn't I - blue_haddock
For a grand it's virtually disposable and you shouldn't have any problem moving it on if needs be.

Buy it, ride it for a bit then sell it on.
Honda CB650 - Should I or Shouldn't I - cheddar
>>you shouldn't have any problem moving it on if needs be>>

sohc4.glennstauffer.com/index.php?title=CB650&Item...7

Its not a true classic like a 70's CB400/4, CB550, CB750, Z1, Z1000 or even Z650 so it needs to be VGC for a grand. Also it was not a ball of fire in its day, the '81 XJ650 being much more powerful and faster despite being a shafty.

That being said if you know it well and know what you are letting yourself in for then go for it.
Honda CB650 - Should I or Shouldn't I - Westpig
'you can't take it with you'.......as long as you don't stymie yourself financially and will get some enjoyment out of it, without incurring too much wrath from Mrs PU...then why not?

If you change your mind you'll get a fair chunk back for it.

I sold an older bike nearly 5 years ago to a mate (1989 'G' Yamaha FZ750) for £500 and after a cheap (£150) re-furb, he's just flogged it for £750!
>>older bike>>

The CB650 will be around 1980 I guess.

Its on a 83 Y plate, The current owner is a Mechanic (Time served not a "technician"), its had a wheels up re-build, including replacement of the Carb diaphragms (known weak point) its been professionally painted in its original colour. Its got new tyres, new cam chain had a heads off service, seat has been re-covered and its the Nighthawk version. Carole Nash wants 56 quid (fully comp) to insure it - on the same policy as the BMW. Off in a minute to have a look with me Camera will post some pics. Apparently if I don't take it its going on E-Bay. The Mechanic is known to me having breathed on the Office hacks in the past.
Thanks for that link Cheddar - printing that out to take it with me.

BINGO - Just found out my BMW insurance covers me third party on this one ! Where's me helmet ?
Honda CB650 - Should I or Shouldn't I - Altea Ego
At the very least it looks like what a proper bike should look like. Good comfortable upright chest out sports touring. None of this man boobs on the tank, builders cleavage flapping in the wind rubbish.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Deal done = photo will be uploaded shortly when I find the USB lead. Its a cruiser style thing, felt like a 125 compared to the BMW - superb sound through the non standard pipes. lack of torque though compared to the Boxer. But a proper bike as TVM says.
Good luck PU though I am not so sure, if its a Nighthawk it is high bars and stepped saddle, wouldn't appeal to me I am afraid.
The bars are higher than normal, the bike's had a new only slightly stepped seat put on, the BMW has a stepped seat. It's only a bit of fun - picking it up tomorrow.
Honda CB650 - Should I or Shouldn't I - Roly93
Its not a true classic like a 70's CB400/4 CB550 CB750 Z1 Z1000 or even
Z650 so it needs to be VGC for a grand.

>>
Brought a tear to my eye, I rode or owned all of these bikes except for the Kwackers. My softest spot is definately for the little CB 400/4.
Yeah and me, can't get them for love nor money now, I saw a nice yellow one the other afternoon....I'm not worried about the classic thing, even though ultimately it gave me cheap insurance for this one - for me its a retro bit of fun with some chrome to polish etc.
Honda CB650 - Should I or Shouldn't I - milkyjoe
go for it pug, i had the cb 750 kz version with the comstar wheels too, it was on a t plate (78) i think you should still pull a ton ten on it on a quite bit of motorway
Anybody got any Solvol (joke) ?
Honda CB650 - Should I or Shouldn't I - milkyjoe

blimey that takes me back!!!

Good question, I tried to buy some Autosol the other day, will have to try harder, my Kawa has a lot of alloy and titanium (the exhaust) to polish and Autosol is the biz.
Well picked it up earlier. Rode it the 15 miles home. Some thoughts.

First Impression

Well its small - very small...compared to the BMW, also incredibly light, I can "paddle this one with feet very flat on the ground. Fire it up a bit of hesitation, oh, it's got a fuel tap !, rev it slightly, sweet noise from that 4 into one Motad exhaust, very sweet that short Japanese four bark, almost Kawasaki like, I like that....! First gear, forgot side stand, no cut out, no warning light. Move off, that classic Honda gear "noise" as it slinks through its gears in a way that BMW will never manage - hell this is a 25 year old bike ! Moving brake test, not linked, no ABS, No Servo - well the drum at the back is up to the job even if the fronts feel a bit "wooden". Reach top gear (5th) on the DSG (bikes have had them for years....) - complete absence of torque, have to keep changing down but it pulls like a good 'un when the revs are matched to the gear.

Suddenly the bike's alive, head swivelling like a swivelling thing (no mirrors fitted yet), all the switchgear works like it was made yesterday - totally logical in layout - have a look at this BMW !

Conclusion its sweet - it goes, it stops it almost handles ! Its retro Avon Roadrunners grip, its nice. What it does prove to me that Honda know how to build bikes, more importantly they know how to make bikes that last. This bike is nearly 25 years old but it feels barely run in.....yes I'm going to enjoy it !

After being nannyed by BMW technology for the last twelve months this is true back to basics stuff....and none the worse for that !
--
PU without his Mod Hard Hat on !
...but I still love that computer on wheels called the R1200GS.....different machine for a different job !
Honda CB650 - Should I or Shouldn't I - Altea Ego
Enjoy PU. I am not a fan of modern over user assisted bikes.
At least this will put some thought back into your biking. Side stand cut out or warning light - PAH you soon learn to lift it up after it spears you in the hedge for the first time.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Reckon I was just as confident on my RD250 with Avon Roadrunners in the wet as the dry, dry weather grip has come in leaps and bounds in 25 years, wet weather grip less so IMO.
Honda CB650 - Should I or Shouldn't I - J Bonington Jagworth
>fronts feel a bit "wooden"

If it's a stainless disc, it won't feel of anything when it rains (but at least it won't lock up...).

I don't know if cast iron replacements are available, but I'd get one if they are!

Sounds fun, though.