What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Maverick - Peter
A friend of mine wishes to sell her Ford Maverick, 70k, L reg, 2.4 petrol, 12 months MOT & 6 months tax. Well maintained etc.

What price can she expect if 1) she sells it privately or 2) as a P.ex.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Maverick - The
Oops, not a Desperado thread then!;-)
Re: Maverick - Honestjohn
£3,000 for a SWB; £3,750 for a LWB. Same money whether private sale or p/x.

HJ
Re: Maverick - Chad.R
HJ,

Does this mean that in todays market P/X prices and private sale prices have normalised or is it just this particular model ?

Chad.R
.....so queer as folk! - David W
Chad,

I can't speak for HJ and why he would say this but I always have advised a private buyer never to pay more than the trade-in price when buying from another private person.

Say a guy is buying replacement for £10K and gets a best trade-in offer of £4K. He will be so much better off if he sells the trade-in at exactly the px price or perhaps a little lower. Not only should he get a discount on the replacement but it makes him immune from the "trade-in" nonsense at the dealers....sorry sir silver cars never fetch top money, we can't sell a manual/auto, as a VW dealer we'd have to trade a Fiat straight out...you know the guff.

Also it gives the buyer a chance to get his replacement privately if he wants to, saving another wedge.

I have known folks who get this £4k trade-in offer then spend a couple of weeks trying to sell privately (and spending £40 on ads in the process) at £5K because "if the dealer offered £4K it *must* be worth £5K". They reluctantly cut the price in the second week to £4,750 but fail to sell and end up doing the trade-in after all at £4K.

If they had pitched the old car at £4,250 and let it go for anything over £3,800 they would have been better off.

There is a strange thing with the private buyer the trade knows well. Pitch the new car £1000 over the top and offer him a trade-in £500 up and he's happy. Reduce the new car by £1000 and drop the trade-in £500 and the chap wanders away *insulted* by the offer despite it actually being worth £500 more overall.

David