What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
E class wheel bearing £260 repair bill ? - R.Turpin
My sister in law's 2001 E class Mercedes needs a new wheel bearing and she has been quoted £260. Surely this is unreasonable? Any views?
Also, I've done wheel bearings on several old BMC and Ford cars in the old days. Are modern ones such as this any different ? Could I do it myself?
Any opinion greatfully received.
Thanks. Richard
E class wheel bearing £260 repair bill ? - Armitage Shanks {p}
She has been 'quoted' £260 - what was the breakdown between the part and the labour?
E class wheel bearing £260 repair bill ? - martint123
Some vehicles need a new hub as the bearings are integral with it. Not knowing your model, I had a look on Eurocarparts and it's quoting £97.41 + vat for a complete hub.

Have a look and see if you can check your model www.eurocarparts.com

Martin
E class wheel bearing £260 repair bill ? - Aprilia
I would say that is reasonable. Its over £100 for the part and a couple of hours to do the job. As with any job, it depends on the cost of the labour, but I'm sure you could find more expensive and also cheaper. I would be surprised if you could get it done for less than £200 at an independent, for example.
E class wheel bearing £260 repair bill ? - jc2
In the old days,Ford wheel bearings could be changed in less than 1/2hr.but modern systems are different.
E class wheel bearing £260 repair bill ? - Carl2
Are these prices being quoted for rear bearings? Only I would have thought there was a big difference between front and rear prices.
E class wheel bearing £260 repair bill ? - steveo3002
there might be a hours wheel alignment on that? not sure if you disturb it on a merc or not