What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Expensive rain - Aprilia
Stopped by my Diesel-repairer mate today. He told me he's got three cars booked in this week with suspected hydraulic damage from ingesting water over the last few days. One is a Mondeo TDCi towed in off the motorway and they already know that the head has cracked! One is a BMW 320D - don't know for sure what's wrong with it yet but it drove through a deep puddle, cut out, and now its dead! Third one is a Renault Espace and they think con rod(s) bent. All sounds very expensive - I think he's looking forward to a bumper set of accounts this year!
Expensive rain - injection doc
.*********
Expensive rain - injection doc
One mans loss is another mans gain! , very common & I alway's smile when I see a car go fast through a puddle & think now where's that air intake! woops another hoover. had a shed load a few years back with two being the most expensive as an Audi 2.5tdi & omega 2.5D sucked up big time totall new engines for both but with the Audi engines wern't available at the time so had to buy it in total kit form. Interestingly enough claimed for accidental damage on all the engines replaced with flood damage no probs at all. i think the clients had to pay a betterment value against the milage.
Expensive rain - Brian Tryzers
Hmm - Easter 1998. My first Saab drowned in them floods. Four weeks later, I got a call to say it had been written off and would I like to come and collect my things from it? When I got there, I found they hadn't even opened the windows - by that time I wouldn't have wanted it back if they'd offered to fix it.

Curiously, I checked its number on that DVLA link someone posted the other week and it's back out there. I wonder if the present owner knows about its watery past.
Expensive rain - Morpheus
Curiously I checked its number on that DVLA link someone posted the other week and
it's back out there. I wonder if the present owner knows about its watery past.

Can you tell me more about this DVLA link please... must have missed that post. Anyone got the link still?!?

Cheers
Expensive rain - Kevin
I took the day off last Friday to sort out some things around the house.

While having a cuppa I was watching Sky News who had a camera crew outside a tool company called W.H. Smith (Tools) Co. somewhere in the midlands. 42 workers were trapped in the factory by flood water.
While the presenter was face-on to the camera telling us how deep the water was, the camera caught a car in the background being driven down the flooded road with water already up to the top of the sills. Needless to say, the inevitable happened.

I thought the news crew were very professional indeed - not splitting their sides with laughter.

Kevin...
Expensive rain - Martin Devon
WHY are air intakes down there?? Aprilia!

vbr md
Down there the air is cooler and therefore denser, so you get more oxygen (and hence combustion) per unit volume. Less performance-oriented vehicles - expedition-spec Land Rovers, for example - have enormous snorkel intakes.
Expensive rain - Martin Devon
Down there the air is cooler and therefore denser so you get more oxygen (and
hence combustion) per unit volume. Less performance-oriented vehicles - expedition-spec Land Rovers for example -
have enormous snorkel intakes.

So Mr. WDB. Are you suggesting that my Renault Master van, GT + GLF and stuff is NOT performance orientated cos its intake ain't "down there."?? I'll 'ave you know........................

vbr.............MD
Expensive rain - nortones2
I thought temperature was cooler the higher the altitude:) Albeit slightly less dense. Air close to tarmac must be warmer than that taken in at say 1.5m. so the snorkle could give a boost to power as well as avoiding nasty H2O ingress.....
Expensive rain - Hamsafar
Some of the cars mentioned above, have headlamp level intakes, which is about as high as you can get without a chimney.
So, maybe the water becomes a bow wave, or get's swept up by other cars.
Expensive rain - J Bonington Jagworth
"Down there the air is cooler"

I'm not sure that 2 feet makes a significant difference to the density, even if all roads were at sea level! You could argue the reverse for temperature, as the air near the road is likely to be hotter on anything like a warm day...
Expensive rain - nortones2
Snap!
Any balloonists here? Yes, tarmac on a hot day gets hot, which must also affect the air close to it. But that air then becomes less dense than the cooler air above it, which sinks and pushes the warmer air upwards. Simple convection - if you want cool air, look low down. It's why your radiators (or convectors, to be more accurate) are mounted at the bottom of the wall, not the top.

This may not be the only reason - there could also be considerations of turbulence, which I expect will be less in air close to the the ground. Possibly aesthetics too.
Expensive rain - Armitage Shanks {p}
So really we are no nearer knowing why diesel cars have low intakes and get "hydraulicked" and petrol cars don't and don't! As someone with some knowledge of weather and structure of the atmosphere I can safely say that a 2 foot height difference isn't going to do anything and people who have said the air near the road will be hot are correct, on a hot day and on tarmac obviously!
I don't think it has anything to do with diesel or petrol, AS. Both need oxygen for combustion, so both would prefer denser air. My drowned Saab had a petrol engine, for what that's worth. I confess I didn't know where its intake was but since I was in three-inch deep water that suddenly started coming through the doors, I doubt it would have helped me much if I had.
Expensive rain - Armitage Shanks {p}
WDB - I had just been left wwith the impression, apparently held by others, that overall diesel cars have low intakes and petrol cars don't, although your petrol SAAB proves the exception. With cars having turbos and intercoolers and lots of very high temps I can't think there would be any disadvantage, temperature wise, in taking air in thru a duct at the front of the car, to the side of radiator to get fresh cool air straight from the atmosphere and not via the radiator matrix. The density of the intake air isn't going to measurably affected by two intake locations, one under the car and the other at the front.
Expensive rain - Westpig
Some years back, whilst driving in particularly foul weather in South Devon, whilst driving up a main A road, I came across an AA van blocking the road (Ermington towards Ugborough). As there was no obvious reason for it, I got out to query what was what. He advised that there was an RAC van at the other end of a 5 mile stretch and that between them they'd decided to close the road, to prevent them having to continuously attend their members who would try to drive through the major flood in the middle...and get stuck.

Good bit of initiative, but what a stinging indictment of the lack of sense of some drivers. They come across a flood, no thought on 'how deep' and then plough on through regardless.

I'd want to know how deep it is first, even if it meant parking up and walking it.
Expensive rain - Pugugly {P}
Good reason to keep the Defender and forget the Roomster idea then. Even a bog standard Landie has reasonable wading capability.
Expensive rain - Pendlebury
When we experienced heavy rain in the past I took my Saab in for a service and they had 3 cars just recovered to them with the same problem.
Are saabs particularly prone to this ?
Expensive rain - Civic8
>>Are saabs particularly prone to this

Any car going too fast through deep water fast could suffer,and often do..
Expensive rain - fossyant
My colleagues Mondeo TDCi 130 suffered this fate some months back - went through no more than a few inches (say 3) following another car, but there was enough splash for it to go straight up the intake and into the engine.

A local garage managed to dry/restart it, but the turbo failed soon after - fortunately said owner didn't mention about the water and a new turbo fitted under warranty.

The lad is a sensible driver, and the water was no more than a puddle. He did get told that it was a known 'issue' with the Mondeo, and recommended he remove the lower part of the intake !
Expensive rain - Westpig
is it possible to fit something to your low down intake.....something akin to a hoover/ tumble drier hose and re -route it higher into the engine bay......maybe even have it facing backwards, so that a quick surge of water wouldn't do this?... even if it had a mild negative performance issue

you'll probably realise i'm not technically minded in the slightest, but good at ill conceived theory!
Expensive rain - kithmo
The Mondeo air intake tube starts at headlamp level then drops down low and back up again. I suspect that if the lower section is under water then any leaks in the tubing, which is not sealed, just push-fit together plastic pipe, will suck water in in considerable amounts and hence the damage.
Expensive rain - Westpig

hmm.......so if that set-up were to be properly water proofed, for the cost of a few quid....then it would negate several thousand pounds on an engine re-build

seeing double there with a repeated post - rubbed it out ! - PU
Expensive rain - Westpig
BFFS..........Big fat finger syndrome
Expensive rain - Bill Payer
This does seem to be a recent thing though - for 20 years I drove company cars through places where I'd certainly think several times about taking my own car. My tactic was to approach and drive through as fast as I though I could possibly get away with - thinking if the car did conk out then the momentum would have a chance of carrying me through.
I never had a moments trouble.

I did have a Capri that would break down due to soem random electrical problem as soon as there was water on the road, but leave it for a few minutes and it would be OK again.
Expensive rain - Aprilia
I think Diesels are much more prone to this because the compression ratios are a lot higher than in a petrol engine (typically around 20:1, as opposed to 9:1 on the petrol).
Expensive rain - cheddar
The reasons for the air intakes being low down are, I beleive:

1/ Hot air rises, the lower the cooler, the cooler the denser, the denser the more oxygen, the more oxygen the greater the efficiency. thus not negating the great job done by the intercooler.

2/ Low down though above the spliter is an area of high pressure, much preferable to an area of higher pressure which would negate to a degree the great job done by the turbocharger.

The Mondeo intake is 9" or so off the ground so unless the car is driven slowly through 10" deep water or fast enough to create a bow wave in shallower water it should not be a problem.

However it would be a good idea to have some kind of buoyant flap that redirects the intake upwards as the water level rises.
Expensive rain - L'escargot
I pumped 150 mm depth of water out of my inspection pit last Friday and another 150 mm yesterday. Not expensive, but definitely tedious.
--
L\'escargot.
Expensive rain - SteVee
The higher compression ratio in diesels means that a much smaller volume of water is required to cause the problem.

The problem has obviously been solved in jet-skis and other marine applications.
I've not seen this problem on motorcycles either.

Am I right in thinking that some air filters are much better in protecting the engine than others ?
I thought that K&Ns, for example, would starve the engine of air rather than let water through.
Modern induction design obviously puts water intake problems at a low priority.
Expensive rain - jc2
It's amazing how many cars are damaged by driving thro' "1/2 inch of water at 5mph".Incidentally I see racing at the Southwell all-weather track has been cancelled due to "bad weather".
Expensive rain - Aprilia
The Mondeo intake is 9" or so off the ground so unless the car is
driven slowly through 10" deep water or fast enough to create a bow wave in
shallower water it should not be a problem.

Heavy spray can be a problem. Lots of spray gets sucked in and accumulates in the intake trunking. It takes very little water to cause major damage. Take a 2.0 Diesel engine. Each cylinder is 500cc. At 20:1 compression that means 25cc compressed volume - or about 5 teaspoonsfull. A couple of teaspoons of water in there could spell engine damage.
Expensive rain - BazzaBear {P}
All the 'on the spot' news reports throughout last week showed most cars in the background travelling at ridiculous speed through deep puddles, hardly surprising that we're now hearing about problems.
Do people have no sense at all?
Expensive rain - cheddar
Sorry that should be:

2/ Low down though above the spliter is an area of high pressure, much preferable to an area of LOWER pressure which would negate to a degree the great job done by the turbocharger.

Expensive rain - Roly93
WHY are air intakes down there?? Aprilia!

I dont know about other makes, but on my 2.0 TDI Audi the air intake is just below the bonnet shut line, so not too bad.
Expensive rain - midlifecrisis
In reply to Kevin - Mon 18 Jun 07 20:38

I could hardly type I was laughing so much. They've even got a helicopter view of it.

They were asking "where are the emergency services". Here's a thought, get out and get your feet wet you dimwitted airhead!

Reminds me when we had a similar situation around here. Guy drives his Mercedes into the water, breaks down and then expected me to wade in and carry him out. He was given 'suitable words of advice
Expensive rain - mrnikko
After all of these comments I sure am glad I drive a 4 x 4.
I regularly go through an 18 unch deep river ford near to where I live with no problems just take it slow let the bow wave bulid up and keep to a constant slow speed.
Seriously though after been on the road for 32 plus years it never ceases to amaze me to see drivers of cars attempting to drive through deep flood water at breakneck speeds or not thinking about the depth of the water.
I remember when i first learned to drive this was one of the skills that my driving instructor taught all of his pupils' perhaps because we lived in a rural area and regularly had floods it was hammered into us about treating water with caution.
Expensive rain - billy25
never had any problems on like this on my old carburettor engined cars! in those days (even after going through a decent flood) a "hydraulicked engine" was a rarity! in fact in cold weather you used to twist the nozzle on the "frying pan" like filter housing to point to the exhaust manifold, so it sucked in hot air, and in summer, you twisted it straight down, to get cooler air from under the car. as you may remenber, these air-boxes sat virtually on top of the engine, low intakes must be an injection fad type thing.

billy
Expensive rain - bell boy
very good point billy
and if we were really brave we had no airfilter at all :-)
Expensive rain - billy25
He-he, i remember those days! how many times did you open the filter housing to "see" what was stopping the choke from shutting? only to pull half a trees worth of dead leaves and insects out of the butterfly valve!. we often used to put a hose from the crankcase breather pipe into there as well to stop the car filling up with fumes.
Ahh those were the days - simple motoring.

billy
Expensive rain - james86
A couple of months ago I parked my Focus 2.0tdci in a public P&D car park overlooking the sea at Broadstairs, full of other cars at the time (if any of you have been you'll know exactly where I mean!). Just finished parking and as I go to shut the window and switch off a massive wave came and drenched the car (and in through the window of course). No indication that the sea (some 50ft away and 20ft below the level of the car park with a sea wall) was this rough.

While I'm trying to mop up the water from all over me, the car beeped and showed an engine fault. Car still seemed ok (engine was on, revving up to the limp home limiter at 3000, etc) and as I didn't want to go anywhere I just turned the car round so that its front was facing away from the sea and went off to the beach as planned. I did try turning engine off and on and made no difference. Came back at the end of the day and car showed no engine fault and drove like normal - something must have tried out during the day - a lucky escape I think!
Expensive rain - madf
Better designs of air filter have a low air pressure area at the bottom which enables water to drain away (I guess it's low pressure).
Citroen Xantia diesels had a low mounted air intake and were notorius for water ingress I believe.

I've had water come through the floorboards of my 1929 Riley and flood the ignition of several Minis but never engine damage so far (touch wood)...

But there are people who drive down slopes into flooded areas and are surprised when the water is over 0.5 metres deep and the engine stops. I would imagine they are a product of darwinism.
madf
Expensive rain - jc2
Years ago,I was driving thro' a flood at an appreciable speed in a 2.5 D Turbo Scorpio,Peugeot not VM-A Land Rover came the other way,also at a good speed-my window was closed-unfortuneately for him,his wasn't.