What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Reliable cheap small auto - oranjeboom
Hi Guys I'm looking for some advice on reliable cheap small automatic cars.

My other half is learning to drive in an automatic and is looking for a nice first car, golf size or under.

The budget is under £2000.

Can you offer any advice on which cars automatic gear boxes are long lasting, as well as general reliability?

I would also like the car to have some safety kit, and an ok ncap score.

I have been looking online at the following cars.

Mid 90's + civic
Golf 92+
Ibiza
Polo
Starlet
Matiz
Punto
Corrola
Atoz
Amica
Lupo
Arosa
Almeira

etc

Reliable cheap small auto - movilogo
Add Nissan Micra (old shape) and Nissan Sunny in your list. They are available under £500 and if you don't like you can always change later :) Their reliability is next to none.

I'd be skeptical of French auto cars.
Reliable cheap small auto - normd2
Suzuki Wagon R? aged parents on their 2nd auto one. At least a couple of late 90's ones on Autotrader under £2k.
Reliable cheap small auto - Gromit {P}
Punto autos aren't torque converter, but CVT, and not known for reliabiltiy as the miles add up. I'd also look for Golf/Almera sized cars rather than Superminis, from what I know of them the autos in older small cars tended not to give a smooth drive.

The Almera would be a good option, its a 1.8 litre so not desperately underpowered, and Nissan autos enjoy a good reputation for longevity.
I know she does not like the Micra or the Corsa. I do like the Almera, and The Wagon R I think they will both be worth a test drive.

What is the best way to test an auto box on a test drive?

Does any one else have any first hand experience with a small automatic car?

Reliable cheap small auto - normd2
on a test drive make sure you use the manual positions of the selector lever too - just push the lever foward (or whatever, to change up) Test the kickdown, drive at say 50 and floor the throttle, you should hear one or two downchanges depending on the car. Ensure it can't start in anything other park or neutral. Pay attention to the brakes, they get more use in an auto. Select drive at tick-over and it should move forward slowly without touching the throttle. There should be a mechanical device to prevent reverse being selected by mistake (button or special move of the lever)
Reliable cheap small auto - bell boy
OP you are looking for a niche product and at under £2000 these cars (good ones) are not plentiful,i would run auto city if i could source plenty of cheap smaller autos,therefore you need to do plenty of legwork with something like the link to your left on autotrader,i also think you are wrong to dismiss the best 2 small autos ie the micra and the corsa these cars if bought wisely just keep on going without drama .
Be aware that this type of car under £2000 is usually put up for sale due to age mileage or impending doom therefore do not buy at auction unless you are 100% confident as anyone in my business uses this tool to offload bad ones (ones ive shot are corsa,metro,mini,clio,106,astra,every type of ford etc)
ideally you are looking for an octogenarium who is giving up driving.
good luck
Thank you for the info. She is still only learning so I have some time to shop around and find the correct car.

I know it is more money but shew does like the Panda. Would this have the saem Fiat auto box as the Punto?

She does not like the micra becaUse her ex in laws had several over the years. The Corsa is a popular with the chavs in my area.

She does however like the old Tigra. Would the auto in this be the same as the Corsa?

Does anyone have any views on the Mazda automatics. 323f, mx5, mx3? Ot the Honda, Toyota models?

Thanks again
Reliable cheap small auto - Another John H
I know it is more money but shew does like the Panda. Would this have
the saem Fiat auto box as the Punto?

Yes it is - CVT.

Take note of Bell Boy's advice.
Reliable cheap small auto - slowdown avenue
i would say corsa 1.2 old model full auto box, starlet, almeria, micra,
Reliable cheap small auto - Niallster
SEAT Toledo 2.0 SXE. £2,000 should get you a mint 1998ish example and probably £500 change.

Essentially a MKII Golf (OK a MKII Jetta with stretched floor pan if you want to be technical).

Everyone hates them no one knows why. Absolute bargain.