Colt vs Getz vs Swift - movilogo
I'm in the market looking for a car (new or 1-yr old max)

I've short listed following three [all with 5 doors]

Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 (HJ doesn't recommend 1.3)
Hyundai Getz 1.1 or 1.4 GSI
Suzuki Swift 1.3 GL (no AC but otherwise very good equipments)

This week I'll be taking test drive in all of them.

Read lots of reviews on the internet (but none of my friends/family own any of these). No car is perfect - but found that above three are within my budget £7500 max and should serve no purpose.

I do Motorways only on weekends (but again if I change job I may need to go motorway everyday).
Estimated mileage 6k/year. Looking for great reliability and low running cost.

I'll be the only driver and since my wife just started learning she'd do after few months.

Recently in this forum there has been a long thread on Colt where everyone praised the car. Swift also got high recommendations from every where. It seems to be a very popular yet not so common car.

My current car is a Hyundai Accent (which is fairly good other than niggling faults - ABS, ECU, E/W etc.) Still considering Getz for 5-yr warranty (though probably if I buy 1-yr old car will sell after 2 years).

This is the first time I'm going to buy a new (or nearly new) car. Should I consider Jamjar/drivethedeal price as baseline for bargaining?

If I buy a 1-yr old model, what should be best price for each model?

Thanx
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - Altea Ego
Trade sales at slough have 1 year old, under 8k miles, 1.1 colts for £5999

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - barchettaman
Whatever you get, make sure it has aircon (cue debate about whether aircon is necessary....)
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
SWMBOs 1.4 GSI Getz is only returning 37mpg (several full tanks) which is the urban cycle consumption - despite a number of long outings. But otherwise is fine. Aircon works reasonably well in the current hot weather. Needed with the large windscreen.
My right leg gets a bit painful and ideally the seat need to be higher for me. But a test drive will show this up.
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - carl_a
1 year old Colt 1.1 with aircon £5700 at motorpoint

I'd also try the Daihatsu Sirion and New Kia Rio, both have aircaon and 5 dr as standard and great cars. Getz is ok but the 1.1 is poor.
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - daveyK_UK
try the sirion.

beware of the getz parts list should you have a knock or keep it beyond its warranty.

hyundai parts list is very expensive.

daihatsu parts can be sourced cheaply if you know where to look.
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - Collos25
If you are going that small then surely its worth your while to get one that comes into the low tax bracket Colt and Swift do not thats for sure even the colt in diesel form is over 120g but C3's, 1007's 1.4 diesels do plus a few more .
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - ablandy
no kia picanto in the short list?
Heres the under 120 DVLA shortlist there are one or two extra variants such as the 1.4 1007 diesel dolce(not sport)and few more I would guess.

www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/information/how-to-use-t...p
Daihatsu is not that popular so didn't consider that. And 1-yr old Serion costs nearly as much as 1-yr old Swift.

Test drove Kia Picanto, didn't like it.
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - jase1
I can't believe I'm saying this but, have you had a look at the Fiat Panda?

(I need to wash my mouth out with soap now!!!)

Apparently much better built than your typical rickety Fiat of old.

I'd be looking at the Skoda Fabia as well -- old model now so cheap.
I do like Fiat Panda BUT couldn't gather courage to buy it ;)

In fact I'm quite thrilled by its high mounted gear knob (another place where I found this in a much more expensive Mitsubishi Grandis)

1-yr old Pandas look like bargain in Auto Trader (£4500-£5000 range).

But perception will take a long time to change.

Colt vs Getz vs Swift - Pandaman
Colts can be fairly unrefined particularly on motorway. The 1.1 engine is 3 cylinder and does make a lot of noise. However they are cheap and well built. At your budget a Yaris is hard to beat. The dealers are much better than all the others and although expensive they are one of the few small cars that can hack it with anything bigger. Clarkson once said on Top Gear we will deal with small cars " Buy a Yaris or a Jazz, end of story". This still hold true.

By the way I drive a Panda!!
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - doog
We did a Colt V Yaris v Getz weekend

Colt: nice looking but awful drive (even the dealer knew the score)

Yaris: excellent drive..brilliant little car

Getz : ok drive..

Discounted Colt as it was so bad

Toyota: poor part ex offered and too expensive

Hyundai offered double the part ex that Toyota did (3k on clio)
hence purchased the Getz

no probs since with the getz..robust and reliable..servicing a bit steep however
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - Bill Payer
Colt: nice looking but awful drive (even the dealer knew the score)

What was so bad about the Colt? I think ours (3cyl) is a nicer drive than our Jazz (the Jazz being far too 'bouncy / fidgity').
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - doog
are you serious? the reason I ask is that having driven the colt ,I test drove a Jazz for the mother in law..different league ,although i maintain the Yaris was by far the best of the bunch.

We had our heart set on the Colt..but poor engine,(3 cylinder fan- see daihatsu thread) over steer and it just didnt feel solid enough to kart our 3 kids around in..flimsy rear seats etc...still each to their own
are you serious? the reason I ask is that having driven the colt I test
drove a Jazz for the mother in law..different league although i maintain the Yaris was
by far the best of the bunch.

Well we have both, I'm very pleased with our Jazz but you do have to bear in mind that to get a Jazz with a/c you're looking at the best part of £11k. Our 5dr Colt (with a/c) cost £7500.

The Colt (especially the 5dr) doesn't have the body rigidity of the Jazz but on the other hand its ride is *much* better (and I have driven a current Jazz, not just our 3 yr old one). It's handling is adequate for its intended application - in everyday use it's not going to be driven anywhere near its limits.

I think the 3cyl engine is fine. We also have 3cyl Seat Ibiza, and that's horribly juddery at low speeds (it seems altogether happier when it's having the nuts revved off it, though!).

When we bought the Colt, we did look hard at the Yaris, but again, to get a/c you have to buy the T3 and you're into 5 figures for the 5 door.

To be honest, if it was my money, I'd have probably bought the Yaris, if only because the T3 has 7 airbags and the others are remiss in this area. But it was my daughters money, and she didn't want to stretch that far. We could of course have given her the extra cost, but she wanted to fund the car herself.
We could of course have given her the extra cost, but she wanted to fund the car herself.

My god Bill you have one in a million there.
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - y2k+4
Having sat in all three, and driven the Colt and Swift, it is the Swift that is the superior car in my view. However, I only experienced the 1.5 gLX, whch has all the toys, whereas I believe you'd be looking at an entry level 1.3 GL. Because of this, I'd have to lend my nod to the Colt, which is simple, straightforward, economical, reliable and most of all very good value. 3 door is better looking and handles a bit neater in my view, though the 5 door is the obvious choice for space and practicality.
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - tr7v8
over steer and it just didnt feel solid enough to kart our 3 kids

Please tell me how on a test drive you manage to get oversteer on a shopping trolley type car. I though I drove hard but that's beyond what I could manage!
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - Vansboy
Have to be the Swift - much more of a 'new', new car & looks good too!

VB
Test drove all on this weekend (Colt - Getz - Swift in that order)

Colt 1.1 CZ1 - very good car, couldn't find any fault till 60 mph. Well, beyond that speed, 3-cyl engine had to work very hard. The engine noise could be felt at cabin. Dealer offered £7500 for brand new (incl. AC) on 5-dr CZ1. The space inside Colt was very good (for its size). 1.1 Colt is not suitable for frequent/long motorway use. 1.3 versions were too costly for a supermini.

Getz 1.4 GSI - Drive was good, immediatly after drving Colt I could feel how 1.4 engine pulls up the car till 70 mph without any problem. But the GSI version didn't have driver's seat height adjustment (CDX version does have though). That make my leg aching after 30 mins of driving! I enquired about Hyundai's 5-yr warranty. Interesting fact was that many things are not covered after 2-yrs this includes AC as well.... dealer offered 56 plate Getz 1.4 CDX for £8000 (didn't haggle much as I'm yet to decide)

Swift 1.3 GL - It's a pure driver's car. Handling was superb, driving comfort was good, 1.3 engine pulls till 70 mph absolutely fine (couldn't dare trying above that because of speed cameras). The car also felt solid and roomy compared to its size. The cabin materials also seemed best of the lot. Overall very inspring car - only gripe it doesn't come with AC and there's no footrest for left foot. Dealer was no way ready to go below £7600 for a new 1.3 GL 5-dr Swift.

But that's not end of the story, while coming towards home, just thought of having a look at Honda showroom. I knew Jazz is way over my limit, so peeked a look at a 3-yr old 1.4 SE Jazz.

The dealer promptly arranged a test drive. Could go to dual carriageway with Jazz but spent half an hour in coutry lanes upto 60 mph. The drive was superb! The interior looked class leading. The car had only 23k miles with gadgets! I was surprised to find the nearly 7-ft space with rear seats folding down (full flat floor). The only gripe (again) that driver's seat should have more height adjustment (my height is short) and there's no footrest even on Jazz! Now I really realized why everyone praises so much for Jazz! It's practicality is second to none. The sticker price of the car was £8000 and Honda doesn't seem to negotiate a bit on price. The only thing they could offer 2-yrs Honda backed warranty on the car for free.

Dealership experience:

Mitsubishi - very helpful, only one sales buy on showroom, shut the shop while accompanying me on test drive, couldn't see any other customer :)
Hyundai - big showroom, lots of customers, didn't have really time to spend with everyone
Suzuki - small showroom, few customers, sales guy told that they can't match internet price as they have to make some profit to sustain their business
Honda - big showroom, few customers, yet everyone gets individual attention, spent most time with me BUT unwilling to negotiate on price!

So, now I'm in a dilemma, where to buy a brand new Swift or 3-yr old Jazz for same price. Honda also valued my p/x as £750 where as Suzuki offered paltry £400. Jazz is no doubt best overall package but probably for pure driving pleasure, Swift still wins ( no. of airbags)! But I'm bit skeptical on Swift's resale value though.

Colt vs Getz vs Swift - Mad Maxy
Jazz.
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - jase1
Without a doubt you'll lose less on a 3yo Jazz than a brand new Swift, that's obvious.

TBH, given Honda's track record for producing bomb-proof reliable cars, I'd go for the Jazz. 23K is just run in, and I'm sure you'd be able to get a 2-year extension to the warranty thrown in gratis if you haggle :)

To be honest, with the addition of the Yaris and Fabia, I think you've looked at the best cars in the class in terms of value for money and the overall package.
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - midlifecrisis
I'd have a new Swift. It's new,you know where it's been and what its history is (and it's by far the better looking of all). Plus you won't have to buy the obligatory blue rinse that is necessary for Jazz owners.
It?s stupidly difficult choosing a small car ? our family has bought 3 in the last few years and it seems to be impossible to get the things you want all in one car.
Personally, I think a/c is essential, but some cars don?t have remote central locking, seat height adjusters etc. Only a couple of years ago VW wanted my daughter to buy a Polo that had a cassette player!!
Older Jazz?s all have sunroof ? very nice but my wife has *never* opened it (and keeps the shade closed).

The build quality of our 53 Jazz is very impressive. However I?m less than thrilled by its ride ? it really is far too bouncy.
Our Colt CZ1 (we paid £7500 for 5dr with a/c too) rides better, but really doesn?t have the quality feel of the Jazz. However I?m pleased with it. I can?t bear the hassle of buying used cars to save a couple of grand (although my own was 5mths old, but that was £10K less than new) and I think Colt is good value for a brand-new car.
I've driven it 4 up at 70ish and thought it was fine.

If you?re not bothered about a/c, how much is the entry level Jazz 1.2S ? maybe they?re available for an acceptable price from somewhere like DrivetheDeal?
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - Aprilia
In early March last year I was asked by my sister to sort her out with a new car. After trying out a few (Jazz, Colt etc etc) we settled on the Swift. Managed to get a 1.5GLX 5-door for £8500 inc. mats, tank of petrol etc. This was not from an Internet broker, but from a garage about 60 miles away. Bascially I called all Suzuki garages in 100 mile radius, asked to speak to sales manager and said I had money in my pocket - what your best price?

Swift has proved to be a very good choice. I get to drive it now and again. Its the 1.5 model with A/C, keyless entry, alloys etc. Engine loosened up quite remarkably by about 6k miles and it really pulls well. Ride and handling are very well sorted. No problems apart from front pads being too hard - discs scoring and new set fitted under warranty at 1 year old. My sister drives it very hard (mostly A and B-road driving, usually at least 5000rpm before changing up, late and hard braking!) and she gets about 36mpg. I did one long journey in it and reckon I got around 40mpg.

All the indications so far is that residuals will be strong on the Swift. Its trendy-looking, roomy, good to drive and they seem reliable, so I reckon they'll be in demand as a used car. Personally, pound for pound, I would take a new Swift over 3.Y.O Jazz anytime. Could you stretch to £8.5k and get the 1.5GLX? I think it would be worth it..
All the indications so far is that residuals will be strong on the Swift.

Looks like so! I am searching for a 1-yr old used Swift and the price is merely £500-£1000 below brand new model! Jazz 1.4SE also loses value @ £1000/year (new 2007 Jazz £11k, 2004 £8k and so on). Another surprising fact is that, my insurance quote for Swift 1.3 is coming as £100 more than that of 1.4 Jazz! Is Swift more prone to be nicked?
my insurance quote for Swift 1.3 is coming as £100 more than that of 1.4 Jazz!

The 1.3 Swift is group 4 insurance, Jazz, Colt etc are group 3. However £100 more seems a bit steep.

This stopped us even looking at Swift - we'd have had to go for the 1.5 (for a/c) and that's group 6. OK, it doesn't make too much difference for an older person, but I was looking for my 21yr old daughter.

I note Aprilia's points, but we had trouble getting rid of a 1.6 Clio in the past - the problem is that people buying used supermini's generally expect a small engine.
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - machika
>> All the indications so far is that residuals will be strong on the Swift.
Looks like so! I am searching for a 1-yr old used Swift and the price
is merely £500-£1000 below brand new model! Jazz 1.4SE also loses value @ £1000/year (new
2007 Jazz £11k 2004 £8k and so on). Another surprising fact is that my insurance
quote for Swift 1.3 is coming as £100 more than that of 1.4 Jazz! Is
Swift more prone to be nicked?

We got my wife's 10 month old, 4.5k miles, 1.5 GLS Auto for £7500, from a dealer, which is a lot more than £1K less than the new price (currently just under £10k on drivethedeal.com).
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - machika
We got my wife's 10 month old 4.5k miles 1.5 GLS Auto for £7500 from
a dealer which is a lot more than £1K less than the new price (currently
just under £10k on drivethedeal.com).

Should be GLX auto, of course.
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - Aprilia
Another surprising fact is that my insurance
quote for Swift 1.3 is coming as £100 more than that of 1.4 Jazz! Is
Swift more prone to be nicked?

I would try a few different insurance co's. I can't see it should be that much different.
Colt vs Getz vs Swift - bintang
Odd range of views on identical cars. I find the Colt quite restful at motorway speeds and I get about 50 mpg on long cruises. I thought the Yaris would be too choppy on these. However, I find the rearward vision poor (needs sensors) and - unbelievably, for a recent model car - the battery is the type that needs topping up.

Incidentally, I was allowed to take my previous Colt away for a whole unaccompanied weekend before making my mind up to buy. This time, I only got about 20 minutes with an (ignorant) salesman. Same dealership, different owners. Neither of these cars was anything like as nice as the predecessor model, which I regret having sold.