What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Proton Coupe 1.8 - Been Standing - Jonwm {P}
Hi All

Before i start I'm a total car nut but no nothing about them mechanically and drive a Company Car so don't have to do anything on it bar ring the service dept.
Anyhow I've been given a bit of an opportunity to take on this car for a drink basically to get it off someone's drive, the car is a persona coupe 1.8 on a S plate, looks good, a few dinks, starts 1st turn and goes well.
The problem is the car has been stood since the tax expired in October 2006, i have taken it out a few times this last month for a blast around the lanes, (yes its insured now before anyone shouts!) the back discs do not appear to be ridding themselves of the rust and the handbrake no longer works well it barely makes a contact, will not hold the car, so it seems that there is no fluid getting to the rear brakes, could this potentially be leading to major work needed on the back or is it something like a cylinder or just the fact it needs a good run? what are the other things i should look for before taking on this if the car has been stood such a while?

All help appreciated

Jon

Amended subject to attract more interest perhaps ?
Been Standing Proton Coupe 1.8 - Saltrampen
Normally an oil, air filter change and possibly clean up plugs may help. Maybe an idea to change the brake fluid if you/garage end up taking them apart. For peace of mind try a full service at a good garage. Often the manual that came with the car tells you what to do if car has been standing for months.
Brakes - You can keep trying them hoping something might shift, but more likely pistons and/or caliper guides may have seized slightly. In these cases, it is normally corrosion rather than fluid problems. Taking the brake calipers off and cleaning guides cleaner and reapply copper grease etc may help. This is a cheap (1 hour labour or less) and easy job for most garages.
However if you have a seized piston (which they will probably spot) then you have to pay for a caliper rebuild (cheap kit + 2? hours labour) or new set of calipers (£100s+), if bore is damaged with corrosion.
If there was no fluid or air anywhere in the system the pedal would feel very spongy.
Been Standing Proton Coupe 1.8 - Aprilia
I suspect that the calipers are OK.

Remove handbrake cable from rear calipers, remove caliper carrier and then discs. Get the discs skimmed (assuming they are not too far gone).
Get a new set of pads. Retract the calipers (screw the piston clockwise - long-nose pliers in the slots in the piston usually work).
Refit it all and check the handbrake cable is not siezed. Adjust the handbrake cable for 5-7 clicks and make sure that when the hanbrake is off the little lever on top of the caliper is resting against the stop peg on the caliper.
Been Standing Proton Coupe 1.8 - Jonwm {P}
Cheers for the responce guys, i'm getting it over my way on Saturday so will have a look and if need be take down my local garage, here to hoping its not too bad!! Does see to stop ok and there does seem some movement on the pads when the handbrake is applied.