What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Geting the car out and putting it away - Bill Payer
My daughter has just bought a house in an area which is mainly occupied by older (as in their 70?s+) people and she?s noticed that every morning they get their cars out of their garages and park them in the road. Then in the evening they put them away again, without the car ever having been anywhere.
Other people don?t come and park in the road or anything like that, so she is baffled by their behaviour.

Thinking about it, I remember my Grandad always did this.

I can think of all sorts of reasons why they might do this, but does anybody have a definitive answer?
Geting the car out and putting it away - yorkiebar
So if they need to go somewhere the car is ready? Saves them the aggro of taking it out of the garage suddenly (think of all the extra stress?)

And plus they know the car will start when they need it? If they didn't start it daily then maybe when they did need it, it wouldn't start?

Other than that I often wonder why too.
Geting the car out and putting it away - MichaelR
And one day these cars will end up on a dealers forecourt and people will fall over themselves to buy a 'lovely low mileage car'. Oh dear.
Geting the car out and putting it away - mss1tw
And plus they know the car will start when they need it? If they didn't
start it daily then maybe when they did need it it wouldn't start?

Is this sort of activity precisely what is likely to make it fail to start?
Geting the car out and putting it away - Kuang
If I did that to my K11 Micra it'd die on a daily basis, and the prospect of having to regularly turn it over with the fuel pump fuse out doesn't fill me with joy :)
Geting the car out and putting it away - P3t3r
I can think of all sorts of reasons why they might do this but does
anybody have a definitive answer?

I can't think of any good reasons, seems silly to me.
Geting the car out and putting it away - GroovyMucker
The old are different. They've lived longer.

And they've developed habits. And they often feel as if they're living in a vacuum. Habitual behaviours give a - perhaps spurious - sense of purpose, or of meaning.

All being well, we'll all get there. Perhaps our behaviour then (who watches too much television? drinks too much? fights with his wife/partner? gets annoyed when another driver cuts him up?) may be more logical.

--
Stevie
Lakland 44-02 Sunburst
Yamaha YTS-23
Mexican Telecaster
Alesis Micron
Geting the car out and putting it away - dxp55
Dynamo mindset -if you don't start it every day the battery goes flat or so they think - besides gets them out of house away from her in doors.

Dave

Zimmer frame
incontinence pants
hearing aid
false teeth
wig
glass's
High BP
Diabetese
angina
Gout
Viscious veins
piles
Kwaker green meany
Geting the car out and putting it away - Pugugly {P}
"Kwaker green meany"

Mmm that'll be me !
Geting the car out and putting it away - Micky
">
Zimmer frame
incontinence pants
hearing aid
false teeth
wig
glass's
High BP
Diabetese
angina
Gout
Viscious veins
piles
Kwaker green meany
<"#

This list makes no sense at all. A general report on the perils of getting old. And reference to one of the most frightening motorcycles known to man. The H2 (or Mach IV) could out-perform a Z1 up to about 60 miles. And then it ran out of fuel. 12ish for the 1/4, in the early 1970s. But that noise, I like triples. There's a 1977 Jota in one of the periodicals at the moment for 3.5k. My legs weren't long enough in 1977, do you think they've stretched? I could always just wheel it out onto the drive and start it up to annoy the neighbours.
Micky imagine one of them with modern tyres, brakes and a trick frame/suspension set up.....what a way to go, I would ride that at fordprefect with its dim little headlamp on main beam for a laugh !

A drinking friend of mine had a Jota in the early eighties, not sure whether the drink was cause or effect, but we drank Stella Artois like the loonies we thought we were - that's when it was something, an alcoholic equivalent to Shell V Power !
Geting the car out and putting it away - Micky
But it's the early Jotas that had the 180' cranks, very lumpy idle, awful vibration, clip-ons, Slater bros exhausts.

I wonder if the seller accepts credit cards. I really should buy it, I've only wanted one for 30 years.
Geting the car out and putting it away - martint123
I'm not that old, but I sometimes take my car out of the garage and dump it on the road.

Mainly because I don't want it covered in sawdust, weld splatter or angle grinder sparks. Plus it gets in the way when I'm in the garage.
Geting the car out and putting it away - FotheringtonThomas
I can't think of any good reasons seems silly to me.

I've never seen it done. Perhaps it's just a couple of old 'uns trying to out-do each other.
Geting the car out and putting it away - Clanger
Who are these people who have room in their garages for cars?
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
In fairness the garages may double as little workshop or a potting shed and they move the car out for that. In one hideous house we lived in the ceiling in the garage used to leave a deposit of dust on the roof, I used to move the car out in the morning whether I was likely to use it or not on a day off, this gave me access to gardening tools etc. Maybe every day is a day off when you're old. Mmmm Green Meany - get my medication nurse.
Geting the car out and putting it away - L'escargot

Us. It's the first dimension we look at when reading estate agents' sales brochures. If the garage isn't big enough we don't pursue it any further.
--
L\'escargot.
Geting the car out and putting it away - Clk Sec

Us. It's the first dimension we look at when reading estate agents' sales brochures. If the garage isn't big enough we don't pursue it any further.
--
L'escargot.

We do the same. Fat lot of good, though; still can't get the car in.

Clk Sec
Geting the car out and putting it away - colin-e
>>
>> Who are these people who have room in their garages for cars?
Us. It's the first dimension we look at when reading estate agents' sales brochures. If
the garage isn't big enough we don't pursue it any further.

I thought I was the only one! My wife laughs at me for looking at the details of the garage, before reading the rest of the sales particulars for houses!

We now have a two car garage, with two cars in it! (I think there is a house attached somewhere too).

Eventually, we will downsize our house to two bedrooms, and up-size the garage to take 10 cars! (just don't tell my wife!)

----------------------------------
Colin-E
----------------------------------
Geting the car out and putting it away - drbe
My daughter >>>> I can think of all sorts of reasons why they might do this but does
anybody have a definitive answer?

>>

Perhaps, Bill, your daughter should ask them?
Geting the car out and putting it away - MagDrop
My across-the-road neighbour (70+) does this too, with a brand new VW, even when it?s pouring down. There are some others with strange motoring habits near me too. One always drives with his interior lights on at night. Another (20?s this time) drives past my house, which is on a bend, leaning hard over to his left as though on a motorbike. Then there?s the one whose garage is at the bottom of a fairly steep drive. He always arrives home, switches off the engine then opens the garage door. He then gets back in, starts the car and drives it into the garage. After the third borrowing of my battery charger I suggested he keep the garage keys separate from the car keys and leave the engine running. I also explained the possible employment of gravity in the process.
Geting the car out and putting it away - Vin {P}
I can only speak for one person here, and he's a retired chap who lives a few doors away from me. His reason is quite clearly that he doesn't like people parking outside his house. I'm quite clear on that because he's mentioned it quite forcefully to other neighbours when they have used "his" space, even for a few minutes.

I don't like to extrapolate, but I'm sure a proportion of those people who appear to do this for no reason do it from the same motives.

BTW, this chap buys a new car every three years; the old ones must be sold with a nice low mileage for very high prices to ignorant punters. In his defence, though, he does give it some gas when he does get moving.

V
Geting the car out and putting it away - retgwte
my dad does this as an attempt to encorage kids to play football in the street somewhere else

having had his front (house) window smashed by footballs several times, often knowing which kids did it, experienced that in practise he will have to fund the new window as the parents will not pay up, and that if you take the ball off them the police threaten you with arrest (even when the kids are kicking the ball directly at the window on purpose as an obvious attempt to try and break it)

the car is a sacrifical object there in front as the only practical way of encouraging the kids to go somewhere else

Geting the car out and putting it away - Cliff Pope
the car is a sacrifical object

That's it - you have summed up the western Cult of the Car perfectly.
Devotees worship the idol, which is kept in a special shrine called a garage. It is daily taken out , washed and waxed, and then reverently put away again.
The most devout parade the idol around the roads, challenging others in mock ritual fights to scratch or dent it. This damage is lovingly repaired at enormous expense.
Some, perhaps through being too poor to afford a proper shrine, or because they also worship other idols, keep their cars in the drive or the road.
Geting the car out and putting it away - Round The Bend
It gives them something to do before and after the post office closes. :)

I recall an elderly neighbour who used to push his car out of the garage every morning. Saved petrol or something.
Geting the car out and putting it away - madf
It's obvious most of you are growing old and losing your marbles.:-)

Surely you must remember you drive the car out of the garage at 8am because:
experience tells you by 9am you will have forgotten where you put it and:
by 10am you will not remember the colour and:
by 12 am .. "I don't have a car".

I'll get my coat.

madf
Geting the car out and putting it away - Bill Payer
I suspect that it?s a combination of FotheringtonThomas?s ?it's just a couple of old 'uns trying to out-do each other? (although we?re talking Metros etc here) and GroovyMucker?s ?they've developed habits?.

I reckon it?s just part of their everyday procedure of opening up the house, and the car is put out in the same way a grocer would display produce outside his shop.
Geting the car out and putting it away - martint123
It's when the put the car out - and then check the oil level of the cat.
Geting the car out and putting it away - jase1
It's when the put the car out - and then check the oil level of
the cat.

lol, poor puss ;) the mind boggles!
Geting the car out and putting it away - dxp55
The mention of Green Meany has bought all the old codgers out from their garage/workshops - the list was all the things I can easily get -but could never afford Kwaker - had a poor second best a Suzuki GT550 ram Air -only sold it four years ago with 13k on it - probably as well I couldn't have greenie as would more than likely killed myself. The Suzuki didn't handle much better - not as good as the old T110 pre unit - now the grand dads will come out. - The Desmo Duke was also one I wanted.

Dave
It's force of habit. They get the car out ready to go to work, and only then remember that they retired some years previously. When it's time to arive home after work they return the car to the garage and only then remember they haven't been to work!
--
L\'escargot.
Geting the car out and putting it away - oilrag
How do you know we havn`t been anywhere during the day :)

We wait while you have all cleared off to work, give it until the rush hours over then go off to the coast, having a laugh as we are now permanently on holiday :):):) Then we get back home before you and the rushhour and stick the car outside so we can fool around with all the tools and gadgets in the garage.

The car outside also means its on `standby` for anything that takes our whim as we have also tossed our work diaries away and now operate on an instant pleasure seeking basis as our freedom means we do not have to wait.

Sometimes however just looking at the car is enough, especially if a cloud passes over as we know that we can clear off somewhere tomorrow.
In these instances we put our feet up in the garden drinking iced beer and having a laugh at everyone rushing about.

Putting the car outside daily is also a positive statement to the community that we are still around and have survived another night without a visit from the Grim Reaper.

Regards

Geting the car out and putting it away - Brian Tryzers
>> It's when the put the car out - and then check the oil level of the cat.

> lol, poor puss ;) the mind boggles!

Haven't tried this with mine (but then I'm not retired.) Where does the dipstick go?
Geting the car out and putting it away - barchettaman
I have been known to push the car out of the garage, but only to access the Chateau Barchetta range of red wines, which are maturing gently in cabinets behind the tailgate.
BTW it´s an underground carpark with limited temperature variation. The reds seem to love it down there.
Geting the car out and putting it away - Pete M
Perhaps it's one of those strange things they do in England, like using a washing up bowl to do dishes in, instead of the perfectly usable kitchen sink. When I was living over there, I did my dishes in the sink itself, to the horror of friends. They couldn't give me a good explanation apart from the one starting with "My mum always..."

Green Meanies? I had the very first of the H2 Kawasakis and it was bright blue. Could it lift the front wheel? Oh yes... I'm not sure how I survived, but when you're young you don't think about survival. Now in my fifties, I've still got a 1982 Suzuki Katana. I don't take the car out of the garage every day just for air though.

I recently moved house, and two car garages were common, but we needed space for three, which we eventually found. Caveat: This is in New Zealand, where motoring is still for the most part pleasurable.
Geting the car out and putting it away - R40
and of course it's not something that 20 yr olds do is it? Of course not, nor 30, 40, 50 - perish the thought lol
like using a washing
up bowl to do dishes in instead of the perfectly usable kitchen sink. When I
was living over there I did my dishes in the sink itself to the horror
of friends. They couldn't give me a good explanation apart from the one starting with
"My mum always..."

>>

Gosh, how true. I've always used the sink, but I am the only person I know who does. People spend thousands on fitting out a kitchen with all the latest equipment from Naff, and then use a tatty plastic bowl to wash up in. They probably wonder what the dishwasher is for.
Geting the car out and putting it away - nick
Doing it in the sink scratches it. Much cheaper to replace a cheap bowl than the sink. Also you use less water and the water stays warmer longer. If I can think of any more reasons I'll let you know. ;-)
Gosh how true. I've always used the sink but I am the only person I
know who does.

We use the sink. You can get more in it than you can in a bowl. I think people use a bowl to save water. Then they waste water by leaving the tap dripping. Incidentally, I have a theory that leaving a tap dripping erodes the tap seat and makes it progressively more difficult to stop it dripping.

--
L\'escargot.
Geting the car out and putting it away - Vin {P}
"like using a washing up bowl to do dishes in"

So that when you get a filthy plate you can bung the bulk of the detritus over the side and not unnecessarily dirty up the water in the sink. It's all in the pursuit of efficiency, you know.

Tssk.

V
Geting the car out and putting it away - deepwith
More efficient, using less water and able to rinse as you go. If you drop a glass directly into the sink it is more likely to chip than in a bowl. Having said that we use a machine ;~)
Back to the original thread, I presume these are the same elderly drivers who spent up to two hours queuing for petrol during the last 'crisis' who then could only fit less than £1.50 worth in - the amount they had used queuing probably. In our village the petrol station eventually allowed some locals to queue jump (ie me!) if you really needed the petrol, although we still had the rationed amount.
Geting the car out and putting it away - madf
Washing dishes is for wimps:-)
madf
So that when you get a filthy plate you can bung the bulk of the
detritus over the side and not unnecessarily dirty up the water in the sink. It's
all in the pursuit of efficiency you know.

I let the filter in the dishwasher do that. It saves blocking up the sink outlet. Then the grey water that comes out of the dishwasher can be used for watering the garden, which saves on the use of fresh water, which can then be used for washing the CAR, after I have pushed it out of the garage.
Geting the car out and putting it away - Dynamic Dave
fresh water which can then be used for washing the CAR after I have pushed it out of the garage.

Ooh look, something motoring related. Thankyou Cliff & deepwith. Now perhaps others could follow suit and steer this back to motoring discussion.

DD.
Geting the car out and putting it away - SteVee
Ask these people to check their insurance documents.
The excess can be greatly increased if you tell the insurance company that it's garaged and it is then damaged or stolen while on the road outside their house.
These old folk need to worry more - it exercises their brain :-)

I also remember the Kwak triples, and the memorable quote from a newly launched 'Bike' magazine:
You need to a man with a neon capital 'M' to ride this bike.
I would also add that you would need a man's wage to keep it in petrol.
Geting the car out and putting it away - oldpostie
I also remember the Kwak triples and the memorable quote from a newly launched 'Bike'
magazine:

Those Kwak triples would pass anything but a garage. Amazing loony machines.
Geting the car out and putting it away - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
My elderly next door neighbour does the same with their remaining Ka.

He definitely wants to discourage people parking outside his house. Moaned to me about covenants when friends parked outside our house. Claimed all vehicles had to be parked on driveways. Was talking nonsense as the covenants only applied on our property and obviously to our own vehicles.

Neighbour also recently sold their other similarly treated Ka and it was snapped up as a one owner low mileage vehicle.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Geting the car out and putting it away - BazzaBear {P}
Ask these people to check their insurance documents.
The excess can be greatly increased if you tell the insurance company that it's garaged
and it is then damaged or stolen while on the road outside their house.

I think the full wording is 'where is it normally parked overnight', so they'd be fine.

For that matter my car is normally garaged, but every week or so I leave it out overnight in order to wash it the next day (on-topic link - I do this because I'd hate to just start it up, move it out of the garage, then switch off again, must be terrible for the engine!). I'm pretty sure that doesn't break the terms of my insurance.
Geting the car out and putting it away - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Visitor parked outside our house this morning. When they left our house , car was damaged due to woman across the road hitting car.
£2000 (Two thousand) of damage estimated to visitors car. SWMBO heard nothing.
Perhaps parking on the driveway is a sensible idea.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Geting the car out and putting it away - Hamsafar
I agree with Pugugly, the retired man needs to spend at least an hour in the garage sharpening chisels, mending things and looking for things he's lost.