What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Air conditioning, could be better? - oilrag
Air conditioning in cars.

How come air conditioning is often so troublesome in cars?
Contrasted that is, with the household fridge which seems so similar.
we have two fridges past down from owner to owner with the house and are running fine at 25 yrs old, running 24/7.

Build quality or design? is there an argument, that air conditioning in cars is often not fit for purpose, due to the basic principle having proved so robust, but the actual application in a car often so fragile and troublesome?

As an aside,
I can remember as a lad in the 1960`s a big cold room being set up and an ancient compressor unit being brought in. Its memorable because I remember the engineer instructing us all to run if it ever leaked because it used something similar to first world war mustard gas.
He had all the doors and windows open and was notably nervous in filling the system up.

I was amused to call back 20 years later and it was still running.

So the principle and application is really reliable, but what happened with cars?
Air conditioning, could be better? - Stuartli
Completely different environment in which to operate.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
But shouldnt the engineering be sufficient for the environment ?
Just to follow myself up :)

I`m thinking of a Philippine navy warship, on which I was a guest in the wardroom years ago.

That had an old Fedders aircon unit jammed into a space cut out of the steel wall. That ran fine too and had been there for years despite its back end being exposed to the salt air and tropical sun. Out of its normal environment that is.

Can it be that car aircon units are not actually designed to last the life of the car and are used as a sales essential, pruned down in quality by the accountants? ( and in a way that would never be done outside of the automotive world)
Air conditioning, could be better? - Quinny100
In my experience if you run it all the time and aren't unlucky enough to suffer physical damage like a stone through the condensor, like car A/C is pretty reliable and fit for purpose. Domestic fridges aren't a reasonable comparision - they don't use much pipework, the compressors are small and often don't do a lot of work. Buliding A/C systems need far more maintenance than a fridge eg. a recharge every 3 years or so, annual service etc which is not dissimilar to a car.
Air conditioning, could be better? - frazerjp
Fridges running in homes run all the time 24/7.
Air conditing systems in cars however don't unless you can switch it on overnight which i don't think you can unless you run the car engine on all the time.
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
But its normal in the tropics for aircon units in homes and restaurants (for example) to be turned off during day or night.
Can it be that they are engineered to do it and that is the difference?
It could be the case with a cheap and cheerful car, but I've always found that vehicle A/C systems are both very efficient and generally give no trouble.
Yes, I guess its the cheap and cheerful I`m thinking off. ( my category:):)
The stone through the compressor is an example of what I mean though, as a little more engineering in the form of grill mesh would remove that particular risk.

Air conditioning, could be better? - Dave N
Because it's poorly designed, and cheaply made. The harsh environment doesn't help, what with heat, cold, vibration, and a nice salt spray every so often.

But the bottom line is, as long as it makes it though the warranty period, then why shoud the manufacturer care. After all, manufacturers (of cars especially) need to sell the lowest quality product they can get away with, for the highest price they can get. Sometimes, though, they get it a little wrong.
Air conditioning, could be better? - Pugugly {P}
Another thought - probably wrong - is due to the fact that the units are far smaller than fridge or warship units ?
Air conditioning, could be better? - Aprilia
Car aircon units are designed to be light as possible, cheap as possible and just make it through warranty. Typical Ford and GM (Mondeo, Vetra etc) seem to last 5-6 years, if you're lucky, and then condensor rots through or compressor packs in. Jap onese seem to last a bit longer. Its rare to see old cars (8+ years) with gas-tight aircon though. Even if you regas them they seem to leak after a few months.

It always surprises me how many cars have a bit open gap under the bumper so stones can hit the condensor. A bit of mesh in there would help I think!
Air conditioning, could be better? - NARU
Agree with Aprilia. Plus of course, the seals around the drive from the ending to the compressor - an opening from the closed circuit of the AC to the outside world is just asking for leaks.
Air conditioning, could be better? - NARU
Oops. The system didn't keep up with my typing and missed half a sentence in the middle there. I'm sure you get the drift!
Air conditioning, could be better? - Vin {P}
When you used old style refrigerants, if they leaked and hit a hot surface (e.g. exhaust manifold) they produced phosgene, IIRC. Phosgene really isn't something you want to breathe, ever, so the new refrigerants are much better bets.

As for the overall question, I think 90% of it is due to lack of use. Your fridge never stops, so the seals never dry out.

V
Air conditioning, could be better? - Micky
Refrigeration in the 1950s/60s was performance engineered, it's now value engineered. The freezer at Chez Micky is of indeterminate age, it makes quite a noise, probably uses lots of power but it can solidify magma within a couple of hours. Which is a big improvement on the previous shiny devices. I have fond memories of R12 equipped vehicles from many years ago when cold = cold.
Air conditioning, could be better? - Roly93
Fridges run all the time and are a totally sealed mechanism, whereas car aircon systems may go for weeks/months without being run and as a consequence suffer eventual leaky seals and lost refridgerant, I am the biggest culprit of this myself as I only use the aircon in desperate circumstances !
Air conditioning, could be better? - oldgit
Fridges run all the time and are a totally sealed mechanism whereas car aircon systems

Where does this nonsense come from? Domestic fridges DON'T run all the time, at least mine never have. They may be plugged into a mains supply all the time but the compressor does not run all the time as it is controlled by a variable thermomstat. At worst, I think that I timed mine running about 50% of the time but then the weather and hence, the ambient temperature was high and the door had been opened many times - or have I misunderstand that original statement?
Where does this nonsense come from? Domestic fridges DON'T run all the time at least
mine never have.

Okay so we're splitting hairs, friges run at least once an hour then, as opposed to once in a blue moon for some car aircon systems. I am well aware that they have a thermostat and switch on and off as the temp chages etc.
Air conditioning, could be better? - Kiwi Gary
I agree with Roly on this one. A sealed domestic unit will retain its charge and shaft seals are relatively unimportant. When I had to replace the compressor unit in my Nissan, I was instructed to make sure that it was run at least fortnightly to keep the mechanical seal faces lubricated. Not a problem for me, as I usually have it on anyway, certainly during the winter. Where Roly and I do diverge is that, in my view, air conditioning is second to seatbelts as a safety device because of its ability to keep the inside of all glass clear of mist. In my 1992 Australian Ford, the aircon came on automatically whenever I put the ventilation system to "demist". { Factory design setting, not a fiddle by me .}
See:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=14
Air conditioning, could be better? - legacylad
TIC
Air conditioning flaps on my 12 year old Defender have proved incredibly reliable. Have not tried to regas them yet!
Air conditioning, could be better? - billy25
Re- Aprilia's comment about Japanese aircon units, mine, on a '92 import Prelude (15yrs old) has never been re-gassed or even serviced, but it still goes from Phew!----->Brrrr in under 5 mins.
Compared to a "friends" aircon unit on a "British Spec" prelude, mine is a lot heavier, robust unit, and unlike his, you can hear the engine note change when you turn it on with the engine idleing.
Although his seems to have the same Brrr factor as mine, i somehow dont seem to think that will be the case when his is 15 yrs old.

Billy
Air conditioning, could be better? - dieselbob
How do you quantify "brrr factor"? The climate control in my octavia seem to struggle on warmish days. Does anyone know the minimum temperature of cold air (in any make/model) available from the vents on a a1 working system?
Min temp can be no lower than about 3 deg at the vent.
Air conditioning, could be better? - dieselbob
Thanks, must be me then as the climatronic dianostic is telling me 3 to 4 deg at the vents and the fan blows ok.
To be honest 3-4 degrees is very good, on most aircon systems if you can get 5 degrees at the vents you have a result.
Air conditioning, could be better? - L'escargot
I don't think they should be allowed to call it air conditioning. It's just air cooling. True air conditioners regulate the humidity as well as the temperature.
--
L\'escargot.
I don't think they should be allowed to call it air conditioning. It's just air
cooling. True air conditioners regulate the humidity as well as the temperature.
--
L\'escargot.

Sorry, but that is NOT correct is it? Part of the process of the appplication of aircon in cars IS the removal of moisture in the atmosphere on the condenser, hence the trail of water left by cars drainpipe, when it is on.
The removal of moisture, from the incoming air, is part of the reason, aside from the cooling effect, that aircon makes driving more comfortable in hot humid weather. The lower humidity, inside the car, allows the human body to function properly and hence feel better because of lower humidity levels in the air-conditioned environment!
Sorry but that is NOT correct is it?

Sorry, oldgit, but I stand by what I said. The reason I know about such things is that part of my degree thesis at university was to calculate the design parameters for an air conditioning unit for a room containing a very high accuracy lapping machine. In my post I specifically said true air condiitioning. The units they have in cars are only coolers because they don't regulate the humidity. Moisture is incidentally removed during the cooling process but that is not the same as regulating it. Regulating the humidity can sometimes require the addition of moisture to the air after it has been cooled to replace some, or all, of the moisture removed by the cooling phase. Units which only cool (as in cars) are exactly that ~ coolers ~ not air conditioners. Air conditioners regulate humidity as well as temperature. The "condition" of air embraces humidity as well as temperature.
--
L\'escargot.
>> Sorry but that is NOT correct is it?
Sorry oldgit but I stand by what I said. The reason I know about such
things is that part of my degree thesis at university was to calculate the design

>> L\'escargot.

Well I also have a BSc, admittedly obtained in the sixties, when they mean't something but I clearly, then, don't know much about air conditioning and therefore bow to your superior knowledge on this matter.
How do you quantify "brrr factor"? The climate control in my octavia seem to struggle
on warmish days. Does anyone know the minimum temperature of cold air (in any make/model)
available from the vents on a a1 working system?

I bought a nice digital thermometer, with probe, from www.tomsgadgets.com (no connection etc.) for 11.99p + pp and placed the probe in my central air vents where a minumum temp. of 3.9 Celcius was recorded after a few miles and on one of the recent 'hot' days.
My sister's Fiesta got down to 2.9 degrees, however! The trouble is, all these cheaper thermometers, with thermistor probes, only have an accuracy of+/- 1 degree celcius.
However, everything else being equal, I'm quite happy with my car's aircon efficiency - at least I can keep a check on it from time to time.
I bought a nice digital thermometer with probe from www.tomsgadgets.com (no connection etc.) for 11.99p
+ pp and placed the probe in my central air vents .........

That would be a handy device to check the rate of warm-up of the heater. Some years ago I borrowed one from work and carried out a test at idle (the worst condition) of the defrost air warm-up rate from cold of a 1.9 diesel ZX and a 1.8 petrol ZX at our local dealer. The 1.8 petrol (as I was sure it would) won hands down, and that is what I chose. The dealer said it was the first time he'd seen anyone do such a test.
--
L\'escargot.
Air conditioning, could be better? - DP
In my
1992 Australian Ford the aircon came on automatically whenever I put the ventilation system to
"demist". { Factory design setting not a fiddle by me .}

As does my mk2 Mondeo's. Works very well.

Mine's still going strong after 7 years, although I've only had the car 2 years so don't know what's original and what's not. Never had it charged either.

Cheers
DP

Air conditioning, could be better? - Mumstheword
My cars both seem to have poor air con. On is a corolla, which 3 years ago took the car to icy cold on hot days but now struggles to compete with an open window. The car is about 9 yrs old now. The other is a 5 yr old focus, but we've only had that since the end of summer last year so I dont know how good it ever was.

Is it worthwhile getting them 'refilled', or whatever it is they do?

I think we were quoted about £60 or so when we enquired last year. But, I have read somewhere about people getting refridgeration engineers to do it instead at a cheaper rate...is that right? Is the machinery the same, should they be able to do it?

Ta!
Ruth
Air conditioning, could be better? - IanW1977
My Focus is 1998 and the Aircon is brilliant - I think this is a lot to do with Fan speed - EG my Wifes CLio has just been regassed and today to feel the benefit it had to be on fan speed 4 for a good 5 minutes but on the Focus I have only ever used Fan speed 3
Air conditioning, could be better? - nb857
My 1998 Civic's air con still works ok, it's not that powerfull but it has been checked and the pressure is right.

I think alot of problems that people have with air con is that they don't use it. When I first sat in my car 5 years ago I turned the ac on and it has been left on ever since.

Why do they say a new compressor is £1,500 when the entire system was only a £750 option?

My company vehicle (farm tractor) has the mutha of all air con systems, miles better than the car and has never been touched in 5200 hours and 7 years work. Combine harvesters have miles of AC pipes (the engine is a long way from the cab), they work when it's hot in a cloud of dust, the machine generates tonnes of heat of it's own as it burn 450 litres of fuel a day. These machines will sit in the shed for 10 months and the air con will still be cold when it get's fired up in july.
Air conditioning, could be better? - Jonathan {p}
Incidentally while having my ac regassed a month or so ago, I enquired why some cars have low pressure ac (mine) and others have low and high (my wifes car for example). The engineer admitted he didn't know. Does anyone here know the difference and why?

Thanks

Jonathan

It's cheaper.

In their infinite wisdom, Renaults only have one service port, and it's a high pressure side fitting on the low pressure side of the system. These fittings are standard world wide, but the french decide decide to swap them around.

Fiats also use an a/c low side fitting on the fuel rail. More than a few recovery machines have been ruined recovering petrol.

fully quoted post removed to tidy up the post ! - PU