What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - evie_b
We have a 7 month old baby and 5 grand to spend on upgrading our TINY clio. The two choices that we have ended up with are a Focus and a Golf. My partners brother works as an assistant manager at Fords so I do feel that The overall parts and service for the focus will be alot cheaper in the long run but We can't help loving VW Golfs for thier reliability and the fact that they are much better looking! Can Anyone please help us with our dilema!!!!! ta!
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - Altea Ego
Ok - I can solve half your dilema. Golfs are no more reliable than a focus.

There its just on looks now. Consider you will get more focus for your money (less miles, younger) than a golf, which will be overpriced becuase people think its more reliable.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - Mad Maxy
What he said. But are you buying 100% with your head or with your head plus a bit of your heart. Most people do the latter...

Reading between the lines, sounds like VFM/cost is important, so go Ford. Besides, the latest Focus is a very good car.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - LHM
I remember talking to an AA (or was it RAC?) breakdown person, who said he'd never attended a broken-down Focus in three or so years after its introduction. Impressed me, anyway :-)
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - alex

So surprised that you believe the Golf to be "much better looking than a Focus."

The Focus Mk 1 (which I guess is the model you refer to) is an iconic vehicle with innovative styling.

By contrast, the Golf Mk 3 or Mk 4 (which I guess is all that £5,000 would buy you) look as dull as ditchwater.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - cheddar
That will be a MkI Focus and MKIV Golf, the Focus should be more reliable and much better to drive (ride/handling, sweet steering), you would need to spend twice as much on a MkV Golf (which is nice looking) to find one that drives as nicely as a MkI Focus.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - 1066
go for the focus.
much better ride and great chassis if you want to push it a little harder in the corners.
the myth that golfs are more reliable was exploded many years ago.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - L'escargot
go for the focus.

Yep. And the biggest petrol engine you can afford. Also check out the seat comfort properly. I much prefer the flatter seats as in the Ghia and base models. I'm not keen on the "sports" seats found in some models.
--
L\'escargot.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - stevied
I know it's subjective but.... the Focus Mk 1 is HIDEOUS IMHO. I am the only person on this planet, it would appear, who prefers the new one. Even with the new one I can't get on with the rear end styling.... a huge expanse of desert below the lights.... yuk. Like the smilier front though, which I am assured is bland, well it's better than the cross-eyed Mk 1. Vile thing. People complain about flame edge/flame-grilled/flame academy whatever they are BMWs, what about the horribly jarring curves and angles of the original Focus?

Not a fan, can you tell?
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - Cliff Pope
What colour are they?
The golf is silver....1.6 16v 2000 and is 3800 and the focus is light blue 1.6 and 2002 for 3800
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - cheddar
I know it's subjective but.... the Focus Mk 1 is HIDEOUS IMHO. >>

www.specsavers.co.uk
To use an acronym I learnt yesterday PMSL!!!

: )
To use an acronym I learnt yesterday PMSL!!!

I'm not as incontinent as that! ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
I know it's subjective but.... the Focus Mk 1 is HIDEOUS IMHO.

I buy cars for their functional/driving characteristics. I'm not at all bothered about the styling.
--
L\'escargot.
Fair enough, l'escargot. So do I for the most part, which is why I had a Fabia vRS (although it did grow on me, bless it, I was very fond of it's boxy little shape and shiny alloys by the time I had to change it: would love another!)... but I was replying to this comment:

"The Focus Mk 1 (which I guess is the model you refer to) is an iconic vehicle with innovative styling."

I suppose it IS innovative! Just don't like it! : )
so you would drive that you hated the look of just for the characteristics would you?
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - Stuartli
but.... the Focus Mk 1 is HIDEOUS IMHO.>>

Well I've always liked it, considered it groundbreaking and was extremely disappointed when Ford went back to comparatively staid, conservative styling; however, it looks OK side on...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - Pendlebury
I thought Ford were very brave with the Mk1 but I was not a big fan.
I thought it would age very quickly but in fairness I was proved wrong.
I do prefer the new shape - it is much more pleasing on the eye IMO.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - Altea Ego
am the only person on this planet, it would appear, who prefers the new one.

Hi there stevie, How are things on planet lonely?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I'm used to being isolated and picked on, as my other posts this morning show!

: )

Stuck between a focus and a Golf - MW
This is easy. The Ford is an excellent car, but you have ignored the key fact that you have 'a brother' working at Fords. I assume he will have a word with the service manager who should put aside the best trade in that comes his way. Have it serviced MOTed etc etc plus guarentee and you have 5 years of no trouble, plus cheap (and good servicing) as he will make sure its done properly on 'his car'.
I understand your point but I forgot to add that he is very unreliable, we put our car into him for a service the day our daughter was born and waited 3 months to get it back! We have already been waiting for 2 months for him to come up with a focus, that's why we have been looking elsewhere...
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - Roly93
We've got a 53 plate Focus which we've had since almost new. Its a very good and 100% reliable car. However being a VaG fan I understand your dilema, so I would make the following statement and let you decide form there :-
Golf Pros :-
Better build quality than the Focus, although the Focus is a great car, there is much more evidence of cost saving parts and contruction than the VW.
More likely to hold its second hand value than the Focus.
Parts just as cheap as the Ford if you get from Euro Car Parts or similar.

Cons : Significantly more expensive new & used

Focus Pros :-
Very nice to drive even in fairly basic form.
Very reasonable to buy nearly new or older.
More mechanical knowledge among independant garages for repair servicing etc.
Cheap main dealer servicing.

Cons : Weak paintwork
More tendency to develop rattles

Stuck between a focus and a Golf - DavidHM
Focus by a mile.

Much better to drive and more space, and at least as reliable as the Golf (probably more so, simply because it's newer).

My parents' 2002 Focus is now on 81k and utterly rattle free and reliable even though it could do with a good interior valet. The paintwork is also fine (though not chip free) - and having looked at nearly new Golfs with 15k I'd find it hard to believe that VW paint is any stronger.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - barchettaman
Evie, check that your pram fits in the boot of the hatchback Focus first. Or get the estate, of course. Best of luck.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - ForumNeedsModerating
we put our car into him for a service the day our daughter was born and waited 3 months to get it back

Seems odd - servicing a Clio in a Ford dealership...and they presumably gave a a courtesy car for 3 months?
- or you had no car for that period.... hmmm
I really have to go with the flow above and suggest that the Focus would be the better car.
The chassis on the year of Golf you are looking at is not a pacth on the Focus which will be much more comfortable and handle better as well.
From comparing friends who have these cars the Focus will be more reliable, cheaper to insure and cheaper to maintain - even without the help of your relative.
The Focus everytime.
VW are doing a fantstic job of marketing their reliability, build quality & now the choice of car if your having a mid life crisis, whilst living of a previously good reputation but as the guys above say - the VA Group do NOT produce reliable cars compared to other brands including Ford.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - oldgit
the VAG Group do NOT produce
reliable cars compared to other brands including Ford.

That's a terrible indictment, isn't it? I happen to own the 'new' Golf by the way and it's the best car I have ever owned and after nearly 2.5 years have had no trouble with it but there again I'm not you average driver, I suppose, as I only do 6k miles a year and drive in a gentle and considerate manner for all things mechanical and the inside of the car and the engine bay are kept as I like my house to be - clean and well ordered.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - Martin Sweeney
OG I'd relax since it would only be a terrible indictment if there was any truth in it. If you read through the thread you'll notice that contrary to what "Pendlebury" said, none of the previous posters stated that VAG did not produce reliable cars.

{8< Snip - accusations regarding another BR member removed - DD}

If I had to make the choice I'd go for the Focus because of the clearly superior handling.
>>That's a terrible indictment, isn't it?<<

Apologies Old Git - what I meant to say was that IMO VAG cars are no more relaible than any other brand including Ford.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - Ruperts Trooper
In '99/00 I had to choose between a new Golf, Focus or Astra.

The Golf was eliminated for it's rear legroom, the Focus because of it's noise level. The main press criticism of Astras at the time was drab interiors but I thought the Golf with black trim was just as drab. I know the Focus is credited with better handling in track tests but I don't do that sort of driving.

I ordered an Astra with light grey trim.

Over 7 years and nearly 100,000 miles later I'm still very pleased with the Astra - servicing is cheap / easy and it still runs just as sweet with negligible oil consumption, it should go on for years yet. I've got nearly 5 years of the rust guarantee left, but no sign of tin worm!

>>none of the previous posters stated that VAG did not produce reliable cars. <<

Martin, I just want to correct you on this point if I may.
The attached list are extracts directly from 5 posts above:-

1) Ok - I can solve half your dilema. Golfs are no more reliable than a focus.
2) who said he'd never attended a broken-down Focus in three or so years after its introduction.
3) the Focus should be more reliable and much better to drive
4) the myth that golfs are more reliable was exploded many years ago.
5) and at least as reliable as the Golf (probably more so, simply because it's newer).

I agreed with them in my post and further clarified my position in my response to OG. In all honesty it could have been clearer but all 5 have stated that the Focus would be the more reliable car.
Cheers

Stuck between a focus and a Golf - Avant
Buying new, I'd have a Golf as - despite what everyone says - the perce[tion of quality is higher and it'll hold it value better. Oversupply of Focuses is a factor too.

But for £5k, for the above reason, you'll get a newer Focus; find one that's been looked after, perhaps from a dealer as you may get some form of warranty with it. And as others have said, it's at least as reliable as a Golf, and the 1.6 petrol Focus is livelier and more fn to drive than the 1.6 Golf.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - Pugugly {P}
Buy a Golf, its a nicer looking car. (said he being totally biased and having defended the ugliest BMW in history by saying it doesn't matter when you're sitting in it) :-0
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
At £5k, it's the Focus all the way. Ford reliability is at least as good as VW. In fact I had far less problems with a Mk 2 Mondeo over 5 1/2 years than 3 Mk IV Golf owners I know had with their cars. On that small sample, I would be tempted to suggest that the Ford may even be better.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - David Horn
I suppose in the end it comes down to whether you like blue or green dash lighting at night.
I suppose in the end it comes down to whether you like blue or green
dash lighting at night.

The trouble is the Ford interiors look and feel 'low rent' in comparison with equivalent VAG products. Admittedly, some of the plastics in my 'new' Golf aren't as good as they used to be perhaps in earlier marques but the overall solidity of the car makes up for this.

OG:

The interior of Focus Mk2 was improved compared to Focus Mark 1. And Mk 2 continues with the same advanced suspension design.

As has been documented in the motoring press over the years, Focus Mk 1 has an inferior cabin to Golf Mk4 because Ford spent much of its Focus budget on developing the Focus' sophisticated multi-link suspension which, of course, gives this vehicle such a great ride and handling.

My comparison, VW spent more money on Golf Mk 4's interior but kept the older-style suspension. That's why Golf Mk 4 isn't such a good drive as Focus Mk 1.

By the time Golf Mk 5 arrived (which I guess is the version you own), VW had realised its mistake. So it spent less on the cabin but more on the suspension. In other words VW also adopted Focus' multi-link suspension for Golf Mk 5.

The question to ask here is ... would VW have spent a fortune on improving Golf Mk 5's suspension had not Ford developed such an outstanding ride and handling for Focus Mk 1 and Mk 2 ?

Stuck between a focus and a Golf - daveyjp
In a similar vein. Is the improvement to the Ford Focus Mk II interior down to Ford now employing a designer who was previouly employed by VW?

BTW I'd still have a Focus!
In a similar vein. Is the improvement to the Ford Focus Mk II interior down
to Ford now employing a designer who was previouly employed by VW?
BTW I'd still have a Focus!

Well, the MK II Focus isn't THAT bad, I grant you, but the reports I read suggest that the ride is somewhat on the firm side and I get fed up with reading car tests that report similarly. I don't like hard rides in my cars. After all, we are not all trying to emulate rally or racing drivers.

BTW. My Golf is the MKV and has a superb ride, combining excellent level cornering and yet not jolting the living daylights out of you as you traverse the ever worsening road surfaces that are now to be found throughout the UK.
OG

I agree with you about the Mk5 ride and handling as I hired a diesel Jetta (similar suspension to your Mk 5 Golf) a few months ago.

I've also hired several Mk 2 Focuses and not found the ride to be that firm.

But as I said earlier, would Golf Mk 5 be so good today had Ford not done such a good job with the Focus ?
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - DP
Another recommendation for the Focus.

I put 99,000 miles on a (company owned) 02 reg Focus LX estate (1.8 TDDi) in 3 yrs and apart from routine servicing, it needed only a pair of headlight bulbs, and an auxiliary belt tensioner (squeaking on cold starts). Never failed to start, never let me down, and the only things that ever needed topping up between services were the fuel tank, and the screenwash. This was the most reliable car I've ever had by a country mile, and actually have ever heard of, come to that. Still taut and rattle free when it went back as well, with a lovely well-oiled, "free" feel to everything, but without a hint of feeling tired.

SWMBO's family have several mk4 Golfs, all of which are the higher powered TDI variants. The mkIV Golf is an effortlessly quick car with the bigger TDI engines, and is more comfortable, and better trimmed than the Focus, but in all other respects, particularly dynamically, the Focus is in a different league. You don't really get in a Focus and go "wow", but after familiarisation, you get out of a Focus and in to something else and get annoyed. Or I did anyway. You really miss the steering feel, properly servoed brakes, and wonderfully taut, sharp chassis when you don't have it any more. Or when you get out of a Focus and into a Golf.

The Focus isn't perfect. It suffers from road noise, some of the plastics look no different to those on a Sierra my dad owned 20 years ago, and there are some truly woeful Ford dealers about, but cars don't drive like this by accident. This car had time and attention lavished on it by people who really care about driving. There isn't one control that is not weighted, damped or modulated to perfection.

The mk5 Golf is a big improvement over the mk4, but I read somewhere that Vw's engineers spent a very long time dissecting a mk1 Focus while it was being developed, and that the rear suspension of both cars has more similarities than differences....

Cheers
DP
>>Is the improvement to the Ford Focus Mk II interior down to Ford now employing a designer who was previouly employed by VW?<<

I think the chassis designers went to VW and the interior designers to Ford.
End result:- 2 cars with high quality interiors and cracking chassis's.
Win Win
I totally agree with OG - too many cars are produced with firm sporty rides and this seems to satisfy the young motoring journalists for their one off test drive and no-one else.
As OG says particulalrly with the worsening road conditions in this country then VW have done well to maintain good handling and comfort with the Golf.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - akr
Aren't the 1.6 Golfs the ones with the exploding plastic belt tensioners?
I don't see how many more posts this guy needs to read before he realises the Focus is the far better buy.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - John F
Our 2000 Focus 1.6 estate - new rear wheel bearing at 45,000, corrosion on 3 of the 4 doors behind the rubber strip along the bottom, but still v pleased with it, feels a thoroughbred [which is surprising for a Ford]. 1.6 is perfect size for this nippy little car - and 40mpg is v welcome!
The best bit is easily getting 2 large suitcases alongside each other - this was impossible in our Passat 'cos of rear suspension intrusion.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - DP
The best bit is easily getting 2 large suitcases alongside each other - this was
impossible in our Passat 'cos of rear suspension intrusion.

I managed a double divan bed (in 2 sections) and mattress once on a run to the dump! It's a brilliant estate car.

Cheers
DP
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - agrb
focus every time>I bought at auction in january 06 a Y reg 1.8 ghia with 115.000 on the clock for £2800.High mileage I know but it was a lease car and probably was mostly motorway mileage.I assume this as the previous owner lived 50 miles from where all the service history is.So probably a commute.I received a full service history printout showing the mileages at which every service, change of tyres etc was recorded. It was mot for 6 months.It has not used a drop of oil and is the quitest car I have had in 50 years of motoring.I also fitted an underbonnet sound felt.!!what ever you call it.Also changed the cam belt and tensioner.It has not given me any problems and has now done 125000 miles. Driveability is superb. Why anyone wants a Golf I dont know but it is probably down to personal choice,but I would go for the Focus every time. I would mention that I have a part time job and drive 2 or 3 different cars a day including Golfs but I get in my Focus at the end of the day and it still brings a smile to my face!!
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - agrb
re above-forgot to add that the bodywork was unmarked without a chip in sight and certainly no rust.It does 35mpg.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - bradgate
Jeremy Clarkson has owned a 1999 Focus 1.6 from new and has repeatedly written that it has been literally faultless and the most reliable car he has ever owned.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - y2k+4
Re: some of the comments above, people are claiming high-quality interiors in the Focus mk2. I strongly disagree. It's but no means badly built, though there is a creak somewhere, and yes, it has a soft-touch fascia but unlike my mk1, the drinks holders are hard plastic and as such don't grip as well as the previous rubber ones, the door trims are again hard plastic, unlike the soft-touch materials used in my standard mk1 LX. Having heard raves about the increased interior quality - and having an 05 Mondeo in the family I was a touch disappointed with the Focus interior. That said, the mk5 Golf interior is apparently worse than the mk4, so perhaps this is how the alleged gap has closed.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - MikeTorque
evie_b, go for whichever one you feel most comfortable with. If you can't stand the looks of one of them then go for the other one.
The Focus is the better car all round and cheapest to run and own, but if your heart is set on having a Golf then go for that instead but don't blaim any of us for not telling you so when/if you get hit with bills.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - andymc {P}
I get the impression - particularly from many years of reading owners' comments on here - that a Focus is less likely to give trouble than a Golf, and will be cheaper to fix if/when it does go wrong. But you prefer the looks of the Golf to those of the Focus. In that case may I introduce the Mazda3. Focus platform (as per Golf/Leon/A3/Octavia), but different and in my opinion superior styling. Should be around long enough by now to depreciate to your price range.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - jase1
Problem with the Mazda 3 is that it suffers from "Skoda syndrome", namely that although actually a bit better built than the Focus, it doesn't look it. For someone who prefers the Golf to the Focus, this may be an issue.

But yes, nice car.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - scott1s
I think the answer lies in the following:-
2000 Golf (early-mid build if I'm not mistaken)
2002 Focus (late build so any glitches will have been ironed out by this stage)
IMHO FOcus wins hands down. Great car.
SWMBOO had a standard 1.8 as a courtesy car many years back when her Mk4 Golf GTi was in the garage for one of it's many visits. Ok obviously not as quick in a straight line, but roomier, more comfortable, better equipped (if not finished) and an absolute joy to drive especially on the local back roads. Superior car in almost every way.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - oilrag
Neither of these, find a car with a chain driven camshaft that has had main dealer servicing, with no missed oil changes.
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - George Porge
Neither of these find a car with a chain driven camshaft that has had main
dealer servicing with no missed oil changes.

Have you ever seen an engine thats chain / hydraulic tensioner has let go? The whole thing is near scrap, pulley, idlers, tensioners, castings etc etc on top of the usual valves, followers, guides. Complete carnage and on a car having covered 24K miles with full MDSH

Stuck between a focus and a Golf - Vin {P}
"Have you ever seen an engine thats chain / hydraulic tensioner has let go?"

No, because they are much, much rarer than snapped cambelts (I've seen and heard of a few of them). And the post to which your're replying is quite clear in mentioning no missed oil changes - so even less likely to be a fail point.

V
What engine was that Dox ?
And did it have scheduled oil services ?
Stuck between a focus and a Golf - George Porge
Full Ford history 2L twin cam 8V K plate Sierra 24K miles. It was my fathers car and I dragged it home on the end of a rope behind my inferior Golf. I dragged my brothers Orion home several times too.

VW VR6s are known for chain problems as are the current corsa 3 pots, my bro in law has just traded his in, it was less than 3 years old and has already had the chain and tensioner replaced twice under warranty and it still rattled like mad on start up.

Many thanks Dox - that is interesting as I had always considwered chain cams to be bullet proof.
You learn something new every day.