What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Key replacement - Ford Focus - fordprefect
Daughter's partner had his car key stolen from his firm's van: he has a spare key but it is not the master so has been quoted c. £150 for replacement from Ford dealer.
Is there a cheaper alternative anyone can recommend, please?
Key replacement - Ford Focus - henry k
There is no "master" key.
If you do not have two keys that both start the car then £150 seems to be about the rate to restore things.

Try a forum search on the subject. It has been suggested that some locksmiths may have the kit to sort out the electronics.
Key replacement - Ford Focus - stuartl
>>>> It has been suggested that some locksmiths may have the kit to sort out the electronics.

A year or so ago I had a similar problem with my R Reg Fiesta. Someone said Timpson could provide a replacement 'Red Key' but I tried two different branches and were told 'absolutely not' on both visits : o (

If it was stolen the firm's insurance should pay for the replacement anyway, it shouldn't be down to the driver.................
Key replacement - Ford Focus - Galaxy
The Ford Focus won't have a "Red Key" but you still need two working keys to be able to "Clone" a third key, I'm afraid.

If you haven't got two working keys then I'm afraid that I think it's a trip to the local Ford Main Dealer for connection to the Ford Computer. This is the only other way I know of generating new keys.

That's a very sensible and valid comment, stuartl, regarding insurance.

Key replacement - Ford Focus - L'escargot
If you haven't got two working keys then I'm afraid that I think it's a
trip to the local Ford Main Dealer for connection to the Ford Computer.

When you've done that, play safe and get a third key. I got one complete with blue "chip" cut at my local (small) Ford dealer cheaper than a genuine spare from Ford.
--
L\'escargot.
Key replacement - Ford Focus - jc2
Most firms with cars keep an extra one for themselves.
Key replacement - Ford Focus - henry k
When you've done that play safe and get a third key.
I got one complete with blue "chip" cut at my local (small) Ford dealer cheaper than a genuine spare from Ford.

>>

Tthen you have to program it yourself. This is fairly straightforward.
Instructions are available from www.mirez.co.uk/KeyProg.htm
Key replacement - Ford Focus - fordprefect
Many thanks to all for your very helpful advice, I shall pass it on tonight.