The lost art of car salesmanship - philipb
Last century (!) when I first starting buying cars, the process seemed pretty simple. You went for a test drive, the dealer had a look at your p/x, consulted some mysterious guide in his top drawer, named a cost-to-change, a quick bit of bartering to get the price down by a few hundred and then sign on the dotted line.

These days, I seem to come across more and more car salesmen who don't seem to understand the basic principle that the process descibed above should be carried out within about 30 minutes and certainly before the punter makes any attempt to leave your showroom. Ruth Badger certainly had the right idea on last year's Apprentice but the two bozos (no naming or shaming unfortunately) at a MINI and at a Ford dealership somewhere in the North West of England would have been fired by Sir Alan in the warm-up.

I tried to p/x my Touran for an S-max earlier this year. The "salesman" refused to give me a p/x price on my car for TWO WEEKS!!!! In the end, I decided to stick with the Ran and wait until the S-max acquires the new 2.2 diesel engine next year.

This week I tried to p/x my Mini Cooper S for a new Mini. Dealer 1 was very straightforward - test drive then straightforward p/x offer, with a two hundred pound discount. I then approached Dealer 2 to see if they would give me a better p/x price. The car "salesman" looked over my car yesterday morning at 08.30, filled in a sheet and said he would get back to me later in the day. He then told me that he could only give me a p/x price if I was willing to do the deal the following day - which, by coincidence, I was planning to do although it seemed a little strange. At this point, I felt he was either going to give me a really good deal or going to totally waste my time. Needless to say, after repeated phone calls throughout today, I finally got his valuation on the Mini at 18.40. It was £1000 less than Dealer 1 who I will be contacting in the morning.

I told an American friend about my S-max experience and he was incredulous. Stateside, it is impossible to get out of a car showroom without being offered a deal. What is it with UK car salesmen? Are they only fit to do a job where the main question is "Do you want larges fries and a milkshake with that"?

Perhaps someone in the trade can explain this new pyschology of car selling because it has me totally baffled. I have certainly learnt my lesson - if the dealer can't give me a valuation on my car within 10 minutes of seeing it, I will just walk out the door and move to a more competent dealership. I will never waste my time making or receiving phone calls to car salesman chasing down a p/x valuation that has so far proved universally disappointing.
The lost art of car salesmanship - bbroomlea{P}
We were looking at swapping my girlfriends MINI Cooper earlier this year and the difference between part ex price was over 2K over 8 dealers, taking lowest to highest. None of them had a clue and could barely read a book let alone match our specific requirements on a replacement car, hence why we still have the MINI !!!

I have been very dissapointed with the experience of trying to buy a dealer car, they just force everything and anything to get rid of what they dont want. I couldnt understand how and why they make so many sales until a work colleague got a 'mail drop' to replace his last of the line Lupo's for a Citroen C1, 1 hr later and a bad deal over 5 years he walks away with an inferior car to what he went in with..all because he saved £25 a month on the finance!! Something that would have been easier on the highstreet!! -

To cut a long story short, most car salespeople dont have a clue about their product, finance deal or customer requirements and work mainly off the current customer finance and monthly payments, negating the fact of duration, apr and product.

Car buying is now all about finance product rather than tangiable product and there are no two guesses where their main revenue falls
The lost art of car salesmanship - ForumNeedsModerating
As per your post, I don't fully understand how many franchise dealers make a living- unless it's by simply being
a front for the rip-off 'service' department. I've recently been scouting around for a replacement for my c270 cdi,
I won't go into forensic detail, but the upshot is I'm not in any hurry to change now - main dealers (or perhaps, their front of house
double glazing salesmen) think you apparently can only buy a car on a pounds-per-week number on finance or will fall for ludicrous
below book prices for p/ex'es - there's always a good reason why the book for thw p/ex 'toppy' according to them.

My only pleasure now is filibustering when I realise they're looking for the Caribbean-cruise off my back.

I'm rapidly becoming a fan of bangernomics.

The lost art of car salesmanship - Quinny100
I too have found main dealers very hard work. It's almost as if they don't like me, and the only reason I can guess for that is I generally know what I want and have a good idea what I should be paying for it. Far too much emphasis on "sit down, we'll take some details" and not enough about the car. Their product knowledge is generally absolutely shocking considering they are selling only a few lines from one manufactuer, and they blatently tell lies instead of checking in a brochure. I don't expect them to know every option available on every model, but when I ask I expect the right answer. This business of running to the manager every 5 minutes also annoys me - surely a proper salesman should be able to sort out his own discounts to close a sale. A lot of them are simply acting as admin staff doing the paperwork IMO.

When I worked in sales I was responsible selling upwards of 100 different types of machinery, anything from a £500 ride on lawnmower to £175k Combine Harvester with an almost infinite number of configurations and options. We generally took part exchanges and had to value them off the top of our heads as there are no guides to speak of, and unless it was something really obscure but valuable it was rare to get anything underwritten by another dealer - I've sat is a sales for half an hour whilst a salesman touted my p/x around other dealers before now.

I think the old art of a bit of hard sell was seen as too pushy and the big chains have tried to santise the whole process. I think a lot of people liked it - I certainly enjoy a bit of banter with a salesman and a push in the right direction.

I've given up on main dealers now and after buying my last car from a big car supermarket who seem to offer everything, I doubt I'll buy another from a main dealer.
The lost art of car salesmanship - mlj
Had similar experiences earlier this year. I got irritated by being asked the same questions each time. What is your monthly budget? When are you looking to change? The second I can understand but it would have been nice to have been asked what I was looking for. One written quotation included GAP and Scotchguarding, despite me showing no interest. 'we have to quote for them', was the explanation.
I eventually found a Citroen salesman that gave me an excellent price in five minutes. He didn't ask any of the 'taught' questions. We had a chat about the car, we did the deal. I was pleased, so was he. The car arrived for delivery in about ten days. The GAP salesman told me what I wanted was a special order (Berlingo with aircon) and would take eight weeks. I guess he's still waiting.
The lost art of car salesmanship - L'escargot
Far too much emphasis on "sit down we'll take some details" and not enough about
the car. Their product knowledge is generally absolutely shocking considering they are selling only a
few lines from one manufactuer and they blatently tell lies instead of checking in a
brochure. I don't expect them to know every option available on every model but when
I ask I expect the right answer.

I do all my research from the brochure, the manufacturer's website, and the motoring press. I've decided exactly what I want long before I go in the showroom. All I want from a salesman is for them to execute the transaction efficiently. I hate salemen trying to "sell" me something that I don't want. In fact when they do my only problem is how to tell them to stop, whilst at the same time remaining polite.
--
L\'escargot.
The lost art of car salesmanship - midlifecrisis
My recent purchase was either an Alfa Brera or the Peugeot 407 coupe. Walked into Peugeot dealer, asked what his VERY best deal was (no tennis matches-I wanted one quote-his bottom line). Got the quote, no pressure to buy that day.

Alfa dealer spent one an a half hours pressuring me to take a ridiculous five year finance deal (I was a cash buyer) and I walked out no clearer than when I walked in. He subsequently never got back to me with a promised phone call.

I now drive a 407 coupe, from an excellent dealer.
The lost art of car salesmanship - Mad Maxy
I'm like l'Escargot. When I bought my BM the only issue was whether the dealer would match the DtD price. They did.
The lost art of car salesmanship - Micky
Training, experience and confidence. Most Brits are not outgoing enough to sell effectively, the good salesmen will go into financial services.
The lost art of car salesmanship - injection doc
Well Philip I'm glad I am not the only one because when I ran a thread a few weeks ago about how difficult it is now to go & buy a new car the posts in return were indicating it was just me!. Its exhuasting now & the salesman never have any enthusiasm or drive & want to drag it out over weeks.
I have to say that weeks ago when I tried to change my wifes 22 month old car I gave up but low & behold a month later & the salesman has come back with an offer £1000 more than his last offer & can now supply the car we wanted which a month ago we were told we would have to wait till September so our wait paid off , but what hastle it really takes the shine off.
Please will someone send Ruth the badger round all the car dealers & put a rocket up there a....!
The lost art of car salesmanship - daveyjp
"You went for a test drive, the dealer had a look at your p/x, consulted some mysterious guide in his top drawer, named a cost-to-change, a quick bit of bartering to get the price down by a few hundred and then sign on the dotted line."

Good to see my Audi salesmen are still living in the last century! This is exactly how my last deal was done (and the one before and the one before that) - my opening gambit is I want this car, I've got this car and I want to do a deal today probably helps. I've never had to wait a few days for a part ex price. My current A3 deal was done in about 20 minutes.
The lost art of car salesmanship - Bill Payer
and I want to do a deal today probably helps.

I think that's probably key - British people are generally reticent and like to pretend that they're 'just browsing' even if they're dead keen - so guess what? The salesman thinks you're a timewaster.

I helped my daughter buy a Mitsubishi Colt recently - we walked into the showroom to be met within moments by a salesman and I asked him to sell me a Colt. Had immediate test drive (accompanied at first, then he was happy to let us go off so daughter could drive) and a very good price, with no GAP, paint treatment etc hassle. If I hadn?t been happy I would have walked away with no hesitation, but I really couldn't do anything other than to buy the car.

When I bought my Mercedes, I put a deposit on it before travelling 80 miles to see it, so I guess that marks you out as keen. They were still willing to have a 2nd round of negotiation after the first one on the phone and I did what I believe was a very good deal.
The lost art of car salesmanship - Stuartli
It has never failed to amaze me just how such a large proportion of car salesmen, especially at the large dealerships, justify their existence....:-)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
The lost art of car salesmanship - Robin Reliant
About 15 years ago i walked into a well known Ford dealership in Dagenham and approached a salesman who was busily engaged in scanning the sports pages of The sun. I introduced myself and told him I was interested in a couple of Fiestas as driving school cars. Barely taking the trouble to glance over the top of the paper he pointed me to the direction of a nearby table where he told me I would find some brochures that would tell me what I needed to know.

That day saw the beginning of a long relationship with a very professional Peugeot dealer, from who we bought eight cars in the ensuing years, along with supplying them with an extremely profitable number of customers who wanted to buy a car the same as they had learned in.
--
The lost art of car salesmanship - Westpig
they are obviously not 'hungry enough' then are they.......
The lost art of car salesmanship - carl_a
I've never bought a car in a show room, I'll go along to test drive and get a part exchange price and then move along to another car that I'm interested in and take a look. After visiting all the cars I've got an interest in I'll pick one and search the Internet for those dealers with keenest prices.

After working out the price I'm going to pay I'll start phoning around. Works every time; you come across some useless dealers, but just move on to the next.
>>and then move along to another car that I'm interested in and take a look. After visiting all the cars I've got an interest in I'll pick one and search the Internet for those dealers with keenest prices.>>

That could explain why so many dealership's car salesmen couldn't give a damn - time wasters...:-)
That could explain why so many dealership's car salesmen couldn't give a damn - time
wasters...:-)

>
I wonder what % of people who venture into a car showroom:
a) Have serious interest in buying a car from that showroom?
b) Actually do buy a car from that showroom?

As someone, who is basically a salesman, I'd like to think everyone that comes in is an opportunity - however I wouldn't be surprised if the conversion rate is so low that the dealer sales people assume everyone is a time-waster, unless proven to be otherwise.
The lost art of car salesmanship - 1066
the salesmen dont seem to be rushed off their feet. so surely every one that comes in should be treated like royalty because even if they dont buy now they might go back later after remmembering about that nice salesman
The lost art of car salesmanship - flunky
the salesmen dont seem to be rushed off their feet. so surely every one that
comes in should be treated like royalty because even if they dont buy now they
might go back later after remmembering about that nice salesman

Suspect the problem is with the manufacturers' policies. Real salesmen are on low basic pay with high commission.

This pay structure will make salesman sell cars. Perhaps the manufacturers have replaced their salesmen with salaried sales assistants.
The lost art of car salesmanship - rjr
I wonder what % of people who venture into a car showroom:
a) Have serious interest in buying a car from that showroom?
b) Actually do buy a car from that showroom?

I spent a little bit of time working in the "back office" of a used car outlet last year. The numbers below are approximate and were typical for them but may not be typical for other dealerships.

They had an enquiry to gate count ratio of 15%. i.e. 85% of people visiting the site were either "just browsing" or found the cars were outside of their budget or were visiting the site for another reason (a delivery etc) or were left the site without speaking to a salesman.

Of the 15% that were genuine enquiries about 75% were taken on a test drive.

About 60% of test drives resulted in a sale.

Overall the gate count to sales ratio was about 6-7%.

I imagine that a main dealer would have a lower ratio as some of the visits will be for service and parts enquiries and probably a higher level of people simply browsing.
The lost art of car salesmanship - carl_a
>>and then move along to another car that I'm interested in and take a look.
After visiting all the cars I've got an interest in I'll pick one and search
the Internet for those dealers with keenest prices.>>
That could explain why so many dealership's car salesmen couldn't give a damn - time
wasters...:-)

Actually not the case at all, one of the three cars I've bought using this methods was from the local dealer after I'd talked talked about the deal on the phone. If car sales people can't give a damn then they should give up their job, I personally think cars should be sold like any item in the supermarket or white goods, garages are a backwards way of selling to labour requirements and prices high.
The lost art of car salesmanship - DP
When we were looking to buy our Grand Scenic, we called the nearest Renault dealer, and quite honestly the guy went above and beyond the call of duty. We told him our budget, that we wanted to try car seats, prams and other paraphernalia, and that we'd want to drive a 1.6 petrol and both 1.5 and 1.9dCi diesels. All of this was accommodated with no pressure, and he even brought one model to our house on a Sunday for us to try. Gave us a P/X price on the Mondeo while we were out on our first test drive.

We settled on a 1.9dCi and were unfussy about colour, but SWMBO really wanted the panoramic sunrooft. He couldn't find one for what we wanted to pay, so we ended up buying elsewhere. Such was the service he'd provided, I actually felt guilty about it, but we needed the car sooner rather than later, and he wasn't able to find one. What I did do for him though was take the car there for a service, and explained on the feedback form that the only reason I'd done so was because of the positive impression this salesman had given of the dealership. Hopefully it got him some brownie points at least.

Best bit was there was no sucking up or nauseating patter. Just a chatty, friendly bloke who did exactly what he said he'd do, and did everything possible to make our lives easier.

Cheers
DP

>>Best bit was there was no sucking up or nauseating patter. Just a chatty, friendly bloke who did exactly what he said he'd do, and did everything possible to make our lives easier.>>

No wonder you felt guilty...:-)
The lost art of car salesmanship - malteser
Goodness - a "customer" from Hell!

After all that effort -
He did loads of work (+ Sunday) all for NOTHING!
Why am I not surprised that salesmen are cynical about tyre kickers?

Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)

Edited by Webmaster on 02/05/2008 at 21:02

surely the whole point of this is for the customer to go out an buy what they want.......not what the salesman tries to sell them......if a salesman gives good service, but doesn't get the sale, that will be remembered for next time, won't it?.......or do garages not care about next time?

the first time someone treats me like a piece of something on the bottom of their shoe.....means i walk out and buy elsewhere

and the place that gives me decent service, i stick with, even if it's a long journey to get there
The lost art of car salesmanship - stevied
Spot on. My old man buys from a local dealer (secondhand all makes) even though his prices are a little higher than elsewhere because: he looks around for what my dad wants, he gives full details of manufacturers warranties and offers a decent one if it's out of m'frs which he will honour, he always points out the bad as well as the good and won't flog him something that doesn't suit him. Also, there's only him and his son, no army of Brylcreemed spivs.

He has had probs with one car he bought, and it was all sorted out without any fuss. Can't ask for more can you?

Proof of the pudding is massive repeat custom for him, and he's just bought a much nicer new showroom area, deservedly so I think.
The lost art of car salesmanship - BobbyG
Two recent "dealings" with car salesmen

1. Saw a CR-V near me which I liked the price of etc. Visited another dealer 40 miles away and his price wasn't as keen but due to changing jobs, I wasn't fully committed in buying. The dealer 40 miles away subsequently phoned me and said there was still room for negotiating, I asked him what it would be and he said to come down and discuss it and we could hammer out a deal. He just could not understand that i was not prepared to travel 40 miles again unless he could tell me something over the phone to persuade me to go down!

2. Went and saw another CRV today. However, I pointed out so many things that were wrong with it, both internally and externally that the salesman said that they would need to take it "off sale" till they decided what they were going to do with it as he reckoned it was looking at about £800 worth of repairs. For now, I trust him and his integrity. If it is still there in a couple of days time I won't!
The lost art of car salesmanship - wayne1980
Recent 'pleasent' dealing with a salesman.
my wife and i went to our local honda dealer to look at the new civic cdti. Now seen as we had a C-max tdci to p/x i did a little digging on the net beforehand to see what kind of trade in price i should be looking for. With that price in mind off we went to the dealership. They gave us a car for the afternoon with a full tank and said, just return it in 1 piece. 5 and 1/2 hours later we came back, walked into the showroom and he was sat there waiting for us. Now at this point i need point out that at no time had we felt pressured into making a decision. We sat down and he showed my wife and i the figures. Their Trade-in price was bang on what i'd found on a few good websites. All in all we found the whole experience nice, simple and very easy. On the other hand there are some slimy sods out there so just be wary, and remember its your money!
it's not just car salesmen.......but to a lot of sales folk, the buying public are a pain in the wotsit, because they don't conform to what they (the salesman) want them to.....and why would we want to

i want the sales staff to fit around me, not the other way around.........it's me with the money in my pocket and i've got the choice........look after me, provide me what i want (within reason)and i'll spend it there.... if not i'm on my toes

it doesn't matter if you think i'm talking out of my 'arris or i have an offensive wife...keep me sweet.........surely you want to sell me something, don't you?
The lost art of car salesmanship - Aprilia
it doesn't matter if you think i'm talking out of my 'arris or i have
an offensive wife...keep me sweet.........surely you want to sell me something don't you?

Can't speak for new car sales, but for used car sales there is only a certain amount I would ever take. If someone is being very picky and difficult then its probably better not to pursue the sale. If they buy then they'll only be back a few days later complaining about the sound quality from the cassette player. Also when it comes to test drives, any messing about and they can walk back. If you have a good car to sell then it will find a buyer (a bum for every seat, as they say) - better to wait another week than have to deal with a jerk. If you've a 'monument' to get rid of then you might take a different approach I guess.... ;-)

In terms of new car sales, a couple of things you need to bear in mind..

Staff retention in the retail motor industry is very poor - turnover in many dealers is 60%+. The salesman you buy from this year is unlikely to be there next year. For this reason product knowledge is often poor and training is also minimal. Most customers know very little about cars anyway, so product knowledge is seldom really tested (salesman will blag his way out of difficult question). Retail motor industry has, by and large, abysmal management and poor use of IT. They have gone the way of the restaurant industry in that there are procedures for everything - salesman is not usually allowed to think for himself.

Sales manager will be concerned not just about shifting units, but about finance penetration, paint protection, GAP targets etc etc. Profit on car sale will be quite modest - but a paint protection costing £40 can be charged at £299 with £50 to salesman etc. Every month (in the larger dealer groups) there will be a composite report to study and staff will be pulled in if they are coming up short in one area or another.
Also salesman will be working to target for the month and quarter - if he's hit target then he's not going to be so hungry.
Remember also that manufacturers get registration data from DVLA and some don't take kindly to out-of-area pump-ins (i.e. dealer selling significant number of cars to customers in another dealer's territory) - so dealers can get knuckles rapped. Also don't like dealers discounting too much - but to shift units some dealers will sell a load of cars at low price to a broker who then undercuts.

Basically, remember that a salesman will do what he has to do to keep his job and earn a living. They are not there to tug at forelocks and generally fawn after you. If you start talking out of your 'arris or have an offensive wife then he may just decide that you're more trouble than you're worth.
The lost art of car salesmanship - Micky
">They are not there to tug at forelocks and generally fawn after you.<"

Nonsense, a good salesman will do whatever is required to sell whilst staying within the law. The art is to judge the buyer.
The lost art of car salesmanship - DP
Goodness - a "customer" from Hell!
After all that effort -
He did loads of work (+ Sunday) all for NOTHING!
Why am I not surprised that salesmen are cynical about tyre kickers?
Roger. (Costa del Sol España)

We were hardly tyre kickers. There's 10 and a bit grands worth of car (at main dealer retail) sitting on the drive right now that we would have happily bought from him if he had found it for us. Before we took any of his time, we had a half hour discussion where we told him exactly what we were looking for, how much we wanted to spend, and when we needed to do it by. He reckoned he could come up with something, but when it came to it, he couldn't. The cars he offered were a grand over budget, or had the wrong engine in!

There's obligation, and buying the wrong car for the wrong price just to give someone business. If failing to do the latter makes me a tyre kicker, then frankly I reckon that goes for most car buyers out there.

And anyway, he got a referral out of it, and will get more if anyone I know is looking to buy a Renault.

Cheers
DP

Edited by Webmaster on 02/05/2008 at 21:02

The lost art of car salesmanship - barney100
Strangest one i had years ago was trying to get a dealer to give me a deal on my old Panda for a new one. He wouldn't give me figure as he thought I might try and get a better deal elsewhere but if I agree to buy there and then he would reveal his offer! get me the manager I blurt , the manager keeps the same theme. Needless to say another lot got the business.
>>Basically, remember that a salesman will do what he has to do to keep his job and earn a living. They are not there to tug at forelocks and generally fawn after you. If you start talking out of your 'arris or have an offensive wife then he may just decide that you're more trouble than you're worth.>>

But that is the exact opposite of what the majority of customers expect.

The customer has the money - the salesman has the object of desire.

If you don't "tug at forelocks and generally fawn after them" (in a dignified manner), then they will quite rightly go elsewhere.

Too many salesmen (and women) think they are the bee's knees, but they are merely the connecting link between a desired result.

As for a salesman doing just what he has to do to keep his job and earn a living then that, frankly, is not good enough.

Give the maximum and you will, eventually, reap the maximum.
The customer has the money - the salesman has the object of desire.
If you don't "tug at forelocks and generally fawn after them" (in a dignified manner)
then they will quite rightly go elsewhere.
Too many salesmen (and women) think they are the bee's knees but they are merely
the connecting link between a desired result.
As for a salesman doing just what he has to do to keep his job
and earn a living then that frankly is not good enough.
Give the maximum and you will eventually reap the maximum.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Fine sentiments and all good in theory, but it just don't work like that in real life. The best salesman doesn't get promoted, he stays selling. Other criteria come into play and often its the failed salesmen who get promoted and end up managing the other salesmen into failing!

The retail motor industry is madness. Millions of pounds worth of stock and multimillion pound showrooms - for what?. Massive hierarchies of managers and directors, none of whom know anything about selling cars. 'Manufacturer standards' which dictate square-footage of showroom and forecourt, how many potted plants, opening hours, how many salesmen on the floor, what colour paint to use etc etc and a whole load of 'restrictive practises'. Oh, and £100+ labour rates for doing oil & filter jobs my 16 year old son could do with one hand behind his back and eyes closed!
To cap it all, many of these dealerships cannot sell to their targets and so rely on off-loading stock to brokers at little or no margin.
The whole industry is incredibly moribund - little has changed in the last 30 years apart from the advent of internet sales. The dealerships are still trying to operate like they did 30 years ago, no innovation.
In response to the pearls of wisdom above (and HOW little do I care if a salesman is "following procedures" just to keep his futile little job?!) I honestly do not believe that car retailing (and that's all it is, however much they like to big it up) can carry on the way it is.

Customers, unsurprisingly, partic. if they have lashed out hundreds of grand on a car, want CUSTOMER SERVICE. A dealer who bleats "but he didn't buy it from here why should I do him any favours", and that believe it or not is incredibly common in the ULS and HLS markets, is barking up the wrong short-term tree. The customer, rightly or wrongly, sees the dealer as a representative of the brand(s) he is selling. End of.

All the nonsense of "they're separate entities" etc. etc. etc. cuts little or no ice with Mr. I am Spending my Hard Earned Wedge. And rightly so.

Let's get rid of some of these layers of nonsense. Sales "Executive" = spotty oik with fake tan, inflated ego and a dreadful tie. Brand Manager = someone brought in to appease the car company supplying them with stock. Etc. ad nauseum.

IT DOESN'T WORK ANY MORE! Nobody is fooled.

IT DOESN'T WORK ANY MORE! Nobody is fooled.

Hear,hear.........i think the worm is turning. You've only got to visit the States to realise what dreadful customer service we get in this country. It's not just the car industry, but unlike a TV or something my car purchases are a significant chunk of dosh.....and for me to consider spending it anywhere..... i want, in fact no, I INSIST on decent service.

I'm not talking about red carpets, flowers for 'er indoors or any of that carp...but someone interested in what i have to say and willing to try their best to help me....and furthermore a bit of honesty and integrity...... pick up a phone and call me back, it's not hard

Jag dealer in Plymouth managed it 2 years ago, Rover dealer in Stafford likewise 7 years ago....considerable number of others couldn't/ didn't so i didn't spend my money..simple as that.
>>Jag dealer in Plymouth managed it 2 years ago, Rover dealer in Stafford likewise 7 years ago....considerable number of others couldn't/ didn't so i didn't spend my money..simple as that.>>

Arnold Clark in Liverpool managed to conduct a sane and sensible all round deal for two one-year-old Mondeos and take two Mondeos in part exchange for my best mate last year.

Because one of the replacement Mondeos had to be sourced from another branch in the Midlands,after it arrived one of the salesman delivered it personally the following day, which represented a 50-mile round trip.
I honestly do not believe that car retailing (and that's all it is however much they like to
big it up) can carry on the way it is.

>

It's carried on in pretty much the same way in the 30+ years I've been buying cars. Getting on for 10 years or so of widespread internet use hasn't made much difference. Why should anything change now?
One word: America.

I think (and you wouldn't believe how much this hurts me to write) that the demand for American standards of customer service will spread here, like everything else American has.

British dealers, let's be frank here, are spivs for the most part. They are more interested in closing the deal than actually providing what the customer wants, and the artificial competition between members of a chain is such that the customer is effectively barred from getting a good deal or favourable treatment at any dealer other than the one who supplied it: "Why should we help, we didn't make any money out of it". Maybe, if they spent a bit less cash on staff incentives and the like and more time on customer service training, they wouldn't have such a lousy reputation.

On a similar tack, why are Aftersales people considered the poor relations? I am sure it is more difficult to actually fix cars and deal with a customer in a situation lacking in the excitement that you get with the anticipation of buying a car,than it is for Mr Byrite salesman to talk utter piffle and get himself down Tanfastique twice a week.
The lost art of car salesmanship - retgwte
both Daewoo and Virgin Cars tried the "a bit less cash on staff incentives and the like and more time on customer service training" approach and neither was much of a success

the main problem with the UK is I feel the dominance of the company car market, which distorts priorities of car makers and dealers, the market is somewhat different in nations with less of a company car culture

i think the internet has solved many of the problems of car buying, the remaining issue being how to get rid of the part ex

there must be a market for a "we will buy your car at three years old, if its a genuine one owner, proper history, no big accidents".com to allow the ordinary punter to get rid of his part ex quickly and simply, write the risk money into the business model

that leaves servicing

The lost art of car salesmanship - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Recently SWMBO was in the market for an almost new or cheapish small car. Toyota was the fancied brand as she'd had a very reliable Corolla and the Yaris seemed a likely bet.
Toyota salesman flatly refused to give a ballpark figure for a trade in without seeing it. We were not expecting a hard figure- just establishing what the budget was.
Walked out of Toyota and went to a rival chain of dealerships. They gave a provisional trade-in figure and an hour later a pre-reg Hyundai Getz was on order. Kerching.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Toyota salesman flatly refused to give a ballpark figure for a trade in without seeing
it. We were not expecting a hard figure- just establishing what the budget was.
Walked out of Toyota and went to a rival chain of dealerships. They gave a
provisional trade-in figure and an hour later a pre-reg Hyundai Getz was on order. Kerching.

Exactly the same with wife's old Peugeot 306 estate.......drove into main Jaguar dealer in my car (out for the day using the nicer car, hadn't intended on car hunting, but drove past the garage) to get a rough idea of prices for a year old X Type estate....got treated like I had two heads when I asked for a rough idea of price on her car and described it.

3 weeks later when on holiday in Devon (again in my car) did the same to a garage there..who were quite happy to quote me a trade in price.......subject to the car being in the condition i described, which is perfectly fair enough.

Guess who got the sale.... and we stretched to the demonstrator.
One word: America.

Have a read of this:
www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/artic...l
The lost art of car salesmanship - tyro
Have a read of this:

I did. All of it. Fascinating.
The lost art of car salesmanship - tyro
Upon reflecting on the article, the two things that interested me most were
1) how big the difference was between the two dealerships
2) the remark by the sales manager at the first dealership about "Caucasians"
Not had time to read it. The idea that the Americans give good customer service is a joke. IME their salesmen are all hucksters and the Yanks nearly all buy cars on 'I can afford $X per month' - at some high rate of interest. Its like the YES business, but on a grand scale.
The lost art of car salesmanship - drbe
Reading the Edmunds.com book (article?), reminded me of a book I read a couple of years ago in much the same vein.

'California Dreaming' by Lawrence Donegan - a very good read - the life of a used car salesman in America.

Also read 'Quiet Please' the life of a steward on the golf circuit by the same author, another good read.