What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Fiesta violent skidding? - telecaster
My son complained about his fiesta brakes not feeling quiet"right"

I took the car for a drive ......any hard braking is causing the front near side wheel to skid violently?????????

Are we talking a seized o/s caliper or something more serious?

Have not the time to look at it yet , but any help much appreciated.
Fiesta violent skidding? - karlbbb
Has the brake/handbrake light on the dash been illuminated at any point? Does it feel like only that one side of the car was braking?

Check the master cylinder in the engine bay and see if anythings leaking, or loose. There could perhaps be a blockage somewhere, and therefore a lot of pressure is applied to that circuit (the one with the n/s wheel that skids).
Fiesta violent skidding? - Peter D
Cracked disc or friction material to steel backing failed. Strip and inspect. Regards Peter
Fiesta violent skidding? - bell boy
probably pads worn out at one side and grabbing the disc
needs looking at soonest
tomorrow would be nice
dont forget to replace the large spring on the front of the caliper :-)
Fiesta violent skidding? - milkyjoe
hi, bellboy did you mean replace the large caliper spring with a new one? cause i used the old ones when i replaced the brake pads on my fiesta, thanks
Fiesta violent skidding? - bell boy
no milky, just remember to put it back on ,i have left one off before now :-()
Fiesta violent skidding? - milkyjoe
phew!!!
Fiesta violent skidding? - mfarrow
What year is the Fiesta? Does it have ABS?

--------------
Mike Farrow
It is a 1998 ztec...no ABS!
Fiesta violent skidding? - Micky
Start by checking tyre pressures and condition, then operation of the calipers. Has the car stood for a while? If so, a few hard applications of the brakes - where it is safe to do so - might clear the problem. No meddling if it's brakes ..... although how do you learn without meddling? How old is the fluid?
Tyres all good as pressures, fluid looks a bit dark tho.....would hardly cause skidding tho?
Fiesta violent skidding? - madf
The flexible hoses on Fiestas can disintegrate internally preventing the flow of fluid (had that on youngest son's one). If so, the brakes on the affetced wheel will not release. - hence your symptons.

I'd replace the front flexibles as a cheap start - testing them is virtaully impossible. Applying one of the tourniquet type tools to stop fluid flow when removing the fronnt calipers (if ever done) could have damaged them if old. (bene ther doen taht too)
madf
Fiesta violent skidding? - Aprilia
If the cause is not obvious then run it down to local MoT station and pay them £10 to drive it onto the brake tester - that should help diagnose the problem.