What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - local yokel
Rather than clog up a thread that's discussing the merits of a particular model, I pose this sub-question:

Why do people, particularly ladies, think that bigger cars are harder to drive?

By way of evidence, I've seen girls of 17, with no experience, learn to drive in an Army HGV 3 lorry, never taking a car test, and they managed fine.

As Lud and others on the thread point out, many larger cars are far more relaxing, refined and just as easy to position, even in tight parking spaces.
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Yes.
I hold my hand up and say that I found it difficult to cope with the wider and longer Toyota Avalon I'd on holiday in parking situations. I could not see the pavement from the drivers seat when parallel parking and needed SWMBO assistance.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - MVP
Judging by the antics in my local supermarket car park, the smaller the car, the more attempts it takes to get into a space.

I don't know if this is an extension on the dumb blonds theory :)
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - Lud
Good cars shrink around you and feel small. R Type Bentley was like that. Didn't even have power steering and didn't need it.

Bad ones feel huge, like the MkIII Cortina. When you sank into the driver's seat the damn thing seemed to stretch away into the distance in all directions, and it felt rather as I imagine it feels reclining in a bath full of baked beans.

Perhaps some sporting BR denizens can enlighten me on this last point :o)
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - SjB {P}
Not necessarily.

I learned to drive in a Volvo 244DL and found the commanding driving position, forgiving and torquey B21A engine, rifle bolt gearbox, road bump bludgeoning mass, and progressive brakes made it easy to master. Parking in tight spaces was a doddle, inclusing parallel parking in a slot not much longer than the car thanks to good mirrors, the aforementioned driving position, and a very tight turning circle.
SjB and Westping (in another thread) have both mentioned the brick-shaped Volvo 244 as particularly easy to drive.

A neighbour of mine, a long-time VW Karmann-Ghia driver (his wife still has a blingy Californian example) and a pretty poor parker, has recently acquired a very nice Volvo estate of that vintage. Must be, as Westpig points out, pretty resistant in the bumpers department too. Not a negligible consideration in these parts, not I hasten to add DD because of me.

He's still a fairly carp parker though.
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - boxsterboy
Physics dictate that a big car will be harder to park than a small car in a given parking space. I went from a Merc E-class estate to a Smart 4-2, so I know what I'm talking about!

As cars get wider (e.g. new Mondeo), the old urban roads effectively get narrower, so again a small car will be easier to drive.
>>Physics dictate that a big car will be harder to park than a small car in a given parking space. I went from a Merc E-class estate to a Smart 4-2, so I know what I'm talking about!

Not true.
One swallow doesn't make a summer.

Choose a slot right down to the minimum physically possible for the aforementioned Volvo 244 and I will park it for you. With Ease.
Repeat in Bro's early Vauxhall Astras - much smaller cars - in to the same Volvo sized slot, and I will again park for you, but with more difficulty thanks to poorer lock, rear three quarters blind spots, inferior mirrors, and the position of the hatchback Astras' bumpers somehow being more difficult to visualise.

Off for that bike ride just mentioned now.
Withdrawal symptoms after a week of rain!
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - boxsterboy
But if that parking space is smaller than a 244, but bigger than the early Astra ... ?
That's where the bumpers come in I feel compelled to point out :o}
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - Brian Tryzers
>But if that parking space is smaller than a 244, but bigger than the early Astra ... ?

That ain't physics - it's economics!
};---)
>>But if that parking space is smaller than a 244, but bigger than the early Astra ... ?

That has nothing to do with the question "(are) bigger cars harder to drive?".

Sure, a physically smaller car will in theory fit in a physically smaller space - I think my five year old nephew has that one worked out - but if the car's dynamics and other attributes don't permit you to take advantage of the smaller size with ease, then that smaller car might actually be more difficult to drive.

Bigger cars harder to drive???? - fordprefect
I agree with SJB; years back I had a Mark III Zephyr, for which the rear tailfins showed exactly where the back bumper was so was easy to put in tight spots.
My wife went from her Mum's 1972 Mini to a Peugeot 504 Estate with no problem. Smaller modern cars with rounded corners, thick pillars and consequent blind spots are much harder to place without parking sensors. (Could this be a marketing ploy, make 'em so sensors are needed?)
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - P3t3r
Physics dictate that a big car will be harder to park than a small car
in a given parking space. I went from a Merc E-class estate to a Smart
4-2 so I know what I'm talking about!

I'm not sure that's true. The aim of parking is (usually) to park the car equidistance between two lines (or vehicles). Whether it's big or small it's still got to be in the middle. However, if you've got a bigger car you may want to spend longer searching for a bigger space. My main concern when parking is minimising the risk of somebody bashing my car, which happens far too often even with my tiny car and careful parking. I will sometimes have multiple attempts parking just to get an extra few inches on one side.

I've never driven a big car, but I would imagine the shape is what makes it easier to drive. A bigger car will require more care in some situations though eg. a 3 point turn may become a 5 point turn.
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - AlastairW
Why does the car have to be in the middle of the space p3t3r? Personally i park as near to one end as I can, thus increasing the chance of someone else being able to use the remaining space. I wish more people would do this.
Why does the car have to be in the middle of the space p3t3r? Personally
i park as near to one end as I can thus increasing the chance of
someone else being able to use the remaining space. I wish more people would do
this.

On end spaces I do park as close to one side as possible, but not when cars may park on both sides. If you park to one side of the middle ones then it may be more difficult for somebody to get into the space next to you when the person leaves. Also, what if the person next to you has lots of young children or shopping etc., they may struggle to get into their car, especially without bashing your car. I'm sure you must get a lot of damage to your vehicle if you do this, I suspect some people may even want to 'key' your car just because you're parked badly.
Why does the car have to be in the middle of the space p3t3r? Personally
i park as near to one end as I can thus increasing the chance of
someone else being able to use the remaining space. I wish more people would do
this.

Quite right AW. Pet hate of mine. Makes me want to use force to push the carphounds to the end where they should be. Of course usually their wheels are turned or they've got autos in park. So the only thing to do is plant a bomb in the car with a motion sensor, so they blow up down the road and NEVER DO IT AGAIN.

We got the will, but we ain't got the technology unfortunately.
Wait a minute, I think we're thinking of different things. I thing of the type of spaces you get in supermakets, are you thinking of the ones you get at the side of the road? At the side of the road I do tend to leave bigger gaps for other cars, but allow enough for the others to get out, which many people don't seem to think of. I struggled to get out once when another car went in a Smart cars space lol.
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - Micky
">I learned to drive in a Volvo 244DL and found the commanding driving position, forgiving and torquey B21A engine, rifle bolt gearbox, road bump bludgeoning mass, and progressive brakes made it easy to master. Parking in tight spaces was a doddle, inclusing parallel parking in a slot not much longer than the car thanks to good mirrors, the aforementioned driving position, and a very tight turning circle.
<"

How true! I owned one many years ago for commuting, magnificant vehicle, no tailgaters and the bumpers were supreme, I seem to recall that hydraulic rams were fitted to the front. It shames me to admit it, but I used to park by ear when a wall/fence/hedge was involved, perfect parking was achieved when the revs dropped/crunching/snapping sounds occurred.

4 pots on the front brakes?

Awful thing to drive though.
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - Hamsafar
The first car I drove after passing my test was an E reg Range Rover Vogue SE. IT was probably the easiest car to drive and park I have ever known. No wonder such vehicles are so popular with ladies in the cities.
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - mss1tw
How do they manage to fluff it up so spectacularly in most cases then? :-S
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - jase1
My cars have been hit 4 times over the years, outside the house.

On every single occasion the guilty party was a woman on the school run (I live opposite a village primary school), driving a large 4x4 or people carrier.

I know of a dozen or so other instances along our road -- all but two have been the same.

On the basis of this straw-poll it would appear that larger cars are more difficult to park; either that or the drivers of these things are a bunch of daft bints who need their licences taking away.
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - Westpig
On the basis of this straw-poll it would appear that larger cars are more difficult
to park; either that or the drivers of these things are a bunch of daft
bints who need their licences taking away.

in the similar vein to driving with a mobile phone.....the average school run driver isn't paying attention to their driving...are they? They're paying attention to the kids...
in the similar vein to driving with a mobile phone.....the average school run driver isn't
paying attention to their driving...are they? They're paying attention to the kids...

Very true. It must be said that a friend of mine has a Discovery, and can park the thing in smaller spaces than I manage in the Primera. Excellent driver, and never anything other than in complete control.

It's more a question of knowing the boundaries of your vehicle, and your own limitations. No particular reason why a large car should be any "harder" to drive than a smaller one, as long as the driver realises that there are things he or she can do in a Matiz that they can't do in a Landcruiser. Simple common sense, but sadly a fair few drivers don't seem to get it.
Square, visible corners
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - Murphy The Cat
Mrs Cat has no problems whatsoever at all with driving my 300C (well, except for getting the keys off me that is !).
But having reversing sensors is certainly a very good assistance when pltting the beastie around a car park. :)

MTC
Reversing sensors? Pah!
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - Mapmaker
I could take my W123 Merc at 30mph through a gap only a few inches wider than it. Vectra... under 10mph. I remember Lady Thatcher saying that she would only drive Jaguars as you could always see the front corners.
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - local yokel
I watched a lady in a very small red car hold up the traffic in the Kings Road for ages while she inched through a huge gap. Comment from a passing cabbie, loud enough for the street to hear:

"Just because it's red love, doesn't mean it's a bus"
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - deepwith
Ah, I think I know the driver - wasn't a cinquequento was it? The one I know ALWAYs drives in the middle of the road if out of London ie on country lanes - so "she can get out of the way of an accident" mmm, and there we were thinking she was causing the accidents.
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - Martin Devon
in the similar vein to driving with a mobile phone.....the average school run driver isn't
paying attention to their driving...are they? They're paying attention to the kids...

Brats who won't be quiet you mean! Mine stayed schtum until spoken to. Not cruel...just rules. Now 21 and a professional person who loves her Dad. Much the same thing as eating Vegetables really. They all would do if only they had the opportunity to. Crap parents breed crap children.

Yours in despair...U.K. done for............MD.
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - cattleman6
I have a Seat Toledo since the end of 1999, I am so careful when I park. I am used to parking close to things all my life;but I never normally get careless, I take the trouble to get out and genuinely check how close the back is to something. Once I was parking outside a Seat main dealer.My mind was full of other worries, I backed in beside another Toledo. There was just a wall behind me and I knew I was safe. Suddenly there was a sickening bump. I had hit a protruding extension from the wall.I didn't see it as it was below boot level out of my vision.I felt sick and had to pay for the repair to my bumper etc!!! Always get out and check when reversing with a booted car!!! I am the sort of person who hates any mark or scratch on my car. I recently hired a C Class Mercedes and had no trouble. Never ever get careless!!! When I go away on holidays to Nice or recently to Lisbon, I fortunately nearly always get to hire a Renault Scenic or Grand Scenic the last two times.Good visability and easy to park. Last summer in nice I had to park a Grand Scenic literally half an inch or less from the wall on an extremely narrow very hilly little road. I also had to squeese it in to small parking spaces. I luckily never bumped anything. As a pedestrian in Paris, I saw an incredible woman driver parking a big SUV into the tiniest parking space. She never bumped anything. She had inches only to spare. What an incredible driver. I've seen plenty of others bumping cars in Paris though.
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - zm
Judging by the antics in my local supermarket car park the smaller the car the
more attempts it takes to get into a space.
I don't know if this is an extension on the dumb blonds theory :)

And to back that up, just look at the number of small hatchbacks with parking dents & scuffs!
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - Avant
As people have said, it's a matter of the driver's skill rather than the size of the car.

In contrast to the lady in the small red car, one of the partners in my firm still proudly holds a 30-year-old record of 40 mph for driving a Transit minibus through the arch at University College Durham wthout hitting anything - the arch being about an inch wider either side than a Transit.
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - Sofa Spud
Bigger vehicles are obviously more difficult to handle in confined spaces but even then if they have good turning circle, visibility and mirrors that can make them easier to park or reverse than a car with poor visibility.

I always thought that just about the easiest vehicle of any to drive is the Ford Transit.

Bigger cars harder to drive???? - mike hannon
Most difficult car I ever drove was a Peugeot 206 - couldn't see either end or the corners.
Even in confined spaces a big car isn't necessarily a problem. People used to ask me how I managed to park the Legend coupe (16ft plus IIRC) in a space outside the house three feet longer than the car with stone walls on three sides. I used to say 'it's like snooker - all a question of predicting angles'.
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - Ian G
harder to drive vs.
harder to park

2 different things. Parking needs a good turning circle and good mirrors/visibility. The old brick volvos are actually quite narrow, and with a shortish wheelbase makes them easy to manouvere.

My Dad's old Type 25 VW similarly had a short wheelbase and tiny turning circle - dead easy to park.

Driving: different altogether.

Small cars often have small engines, say 1.1 to 1.3, soft suspension and poor brakes. They need thrashing to get anywhere, which leads to bad habits like hanging in low gears for ages.

Medium family cars or saloons often have larger 1.6 - 2.0 engines. They'll have better brakes (discs all round, vented) and ARBs. the engines have to work less hard to do save overtaking, and IMO are much easier to drive.

Larger cars are also less basic (less likely to be poverty spec), so will usually be more comfy, have more soundproofing and more gadgets (like cl, ew, pas etc) which I think also makes a car easier to drive.

Ian
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - PoloGirl
It's all what you're used to isn't it?

When I had Polo and switched to a Beetle for a few days, it was impossible to park because you can't see the corners, but actually easier to drive because people didn't have the same expectation that you'd just get out of the way like they did in the smaller Polo.

The Golf felt huge when I switched, and I still think I need more space than I do when I have to move it round at work, but better to be safe than sorry!

Driving the other half's Passat estate though, is a dream! It just commands a whole lot more respect on the road. The only thing that makes him a little nervous is that I tend to forget there's a whole lot more car behind me than in the Golf, and squeezing it round bends is fun for me, not so much fun for him! Parking the Passat is easy - it's one of the few cars that really proves the need for sensors!

Bigger cars harder to drive???? - madf
Bigger cars are nicer on long journays.. But in modern multi storey cars parks? Do us a favour!

Ever tried to park an XJ6 in one..?

IT IS possible.. but unpleasant..

madf
Small cars often have small engines say 1.1 to 1.3 soft suspension and poor brakes.
They need thrashing to get anywhere which leads to bad habits like hanging in low
gears for ages.

I'm not convinced that using lower gears is necessarily a bad habit.

Round town, staying in 3rd gear, or 2nd if going under 20mph, would seem to me to be totally sensible -- more engine breaking = less friction breaking = more stable car, and similarly more power = easier to accelerate out of trouble. Engine "screaming" != bad habit IMO.

Far worse, is the V6/big diesel attitude of "I have loads of torque, so I'll stick it in 4th (5th sometimes, shudder) and wing it".

The number of people I see breaking totally unnecessarily approaching roundabouts -- caused by being in too high a gear (or driving an auto, in which case unavoidable, but they're a small minority).

If I go under 50mph on a motorway, 4th gear selected. Then get irritated as plank in front can't accelerate quickly enough due to not changing down.

Incidentally I drove a 1.3 Hyundai around for a few years -- no way did that car have "poor brakes".
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - madf
Small cars often have small engines say 1.1 to 1.3 soft suspension and poor brakes.
They need thrashing to get anywhere which leads to bad habits like hanging in low
gears for ages"

There is a one word reply to the above... but to comply with the rules I suggest the poster is a little out of touch with the best modern small cars..:-)
madf
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - DavidHM
Jase... something like an 82 bhp, 1.3 Accent is quite able to keep up with traffic. However, I've experienced the dubious pleasure of an older 950cc Fiesta and it goes something like this... 5th and the car loses power uphill so you change to fourth, then third, then second (by which time the engine is screaming) and you're still dropping from 50mph down to 35mph. I've been overtaken by Transits on the motorway, with my foot to the floor - and within the speed limit.

By the time I got my own car, 6 months newer than that Fiesta, it was a 1.7 litre Renault with 92bhp and insurance group 12 - and that's the smallest engine I've ever owned (and one of the quicker cars too, or at least it seemed).

Pulling 2k revs at 20 or 30mph (instead of 1,400 up a gear or two) is not what is meant by the engine screaming - it's just sensible, defensive driving, and applies to any car.

Plenty of modern cars have adequate power to make them relaxing, quick and safe to drive - but I'm still not sure I'd chance my arm in a 1.2, 54bhp Polo or 1.0 Corsa on the open road.
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - Cliff Pope
My vote naturally goes to the Volvo 240, easily the most manoeuvrable car in the office car park. And if I have left the trailer at home, it's even better.
With the 144/244/240, it was the final swing into the parking space that was exceptional, the back end would appear to remain stationary and yet the front would sweep in with a few thou to spare. The squealing from the front tyres was an added bonus.
>>The squealing from the front tyres was an added
bonus.

You are right. I U-turned in a tyrefitters recently, the kind that have rubber paint on the floor. There was a satisfying ear-splitting shriek that had everybody turning to look at the new micro city-runabout.
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - DP
I think the shape of the car is more important than the size when it comes to how easy a car is to drive, particularly around town. Other things like the seating position, effectiveness of mirrors, and general visibility

Estates are generally easier than hatches or saloons to reverse park because the back of the car "ends" roughly in line with the rear screen. Saloons can be a nightmare.
Many MPV's are difficult to judge at the front because the stubby, sharply raked bonnet is completely invisible from the drivers seat. They're a doddle to reverse though for the same reason estates are.

etc etc.

Shape more of an issue than size.

Cheers
DP

Bigger cars harder to drive???? - rich66
Some motorbiking magazine reported a while ago that the bigger and heavier the car, the more likely it will be driven over the white line in a right hand bend. In other words, the bigger car is partly on the wrong side of the road.

The article was about motorbike accidents and they concluded that the car drivers were not even aware of what they were doing, and were also not aware that the oncoming motorbike had crashed due to swerving out of the way. So the accidents were being thought to only involve the motorbike when in fact this may not have been the case.
But a motorcyclist approaching a bend will always be aware that there might be a larger vehicle, such as a lorry, coming the other way and needing to swing out more. He will naturally be riding slowly and anticipating factors he cannot yet see.
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - y2k+4
In the tight multi-storey car parks we have here, I found a Mondeo made me much more anxious about navigating through the up ramps compared to either of my Focuses. The original being the easiest without a doubt. That said, the mark-2 Focus and Mondeo were both easier for me to park.
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - Brian Tryzers
I suspect the multi-storey problem is about more than sheer size. Micky's 240, although longer than a Mondeo, IIRC (but probably not so wide) would have allowed you to bring the rear wheels almost level with the near corner of the ramp before swinging the front around. Now Volvos have gone to the opposite extreme and my S60 - a good foot shorter than a 240 - requires serious buttock clenching to get it up those ramps. It turns so wide that I have to fit the width of a very oblique section - from front-left corner to somewhere near the B-pillar - between the walls. I've not left any paint behind yet - although plenty have - but it's an experience I avoid as far as possible.
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - movilogo
I think that shape is indeed one of the governing criteria of drivability of the vehicle.

Any car, in which I can see the bonnet from driver's seat (very few nowadays) I don't find any trouble driving it - however big it is!

However, a car like VW Beetle, I'd have nightmare parking it.

Bigger cars harder to drive???? - NowWheels
I always thought that just about the easiest vehicle of any to drive is the
Ford Transit.

I'll second that. Transits are wonderfully easy to drive, except when reversing :(

I find them a nightmare to park, but in nearly every other respect they are so nice that I actually thought at one point of getting one instead of a car. If only there was a transit with an automatic gearbox.

In general, I think that size is one of the less important issues in how easy a car is to drive. The quality of gearchange, the steering weight and the amount of feeedback, the operation of the clutch if fitted, the smoothness of the brakes, the visibility, the straightforwardness of the switches etc, all usually count for more. Some very small cars look straightforward, but have horrible-to-use controls and little lawnmower engines which enjoy stalling.

If I lived in the American midwest, I'd say a that big car is generally easier. But as someone who lives in the UK and hates parallel parking, smaller is usually easier.
Bigger cars harder to drive???? - Westpig
In general I think that size is one of the less important issues

smaller is usually easier.

definitely agree there....... 0-)