What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
antiroll bar link keeps failing vectra - sails north
hi, the car in question is a vectra 01 standard 1.8.

a n/s anti roll bar link started to fail because of a perished gaitor. a quick tug of the link proved there was play in the ball joint. both sides were changed. no immediate problems there and then.

a couple of months later the ns started making knocking noises with steering to left or right. the gaitors on the link appeared perfectly fine and no play was detected pulling the link by hand. you could feel the link vibrating after a knock induced by the steering movement. its interesting that even with both front wheels off the ground it was still knocking. both sides were agained changed just to rule out.

so on new link the knocking noise reappeared to some extent within 24 hours, but it did go silent immediately after replacement. at this moment in time its not knocking at all when stationary. and when it did happen today it was a single knock, but i think its gonna get worse. it hasnt knocked going over speed bumps but it did knock going over very bumpy ground in an unsurfaced car park.

any ideas guys?

your thoughts most appreciated
antiroll bar link keeps failling vectra - topbloke
have the "D" bushes been changed on the anti roll bar, they wear and will induce a knock one each side bolting roll bar to the sub frame
antiroll bar link keeps failling vectra - sails north
thanks topbloke

they havent, i have purchased them but havent as yet put them on. sort of ruled them out for some strange reason. now after your suggestion i think it is the d bushe that is the culprit. cheers