What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Fuel Filter Renewal - Andrew Scott
I am contemplating changing the fuel filter on my 2003 1.6 Focus, I have looked at the clips securing the fuel pipes to the filter but it is not obvious how they come apart, and then on replacement of the filter how to put them back again. The Haynes manual suggests using a small screwdriver to release an insert within the clip? Of course the whole job is made difficult for the DIYer by the location of the filter.

Has anyone any tips for me please?
Ford Focus Fuel Filter Renewal - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
The various pipe connectors are locked into place with a 'u' shaped insert with barbs at the open end. You need to squeeze the open ends together then push them in to release the clip. Personally I remove the large tank breather pipe and unclip it from the underfloor clip first and move it aside. Next remove the short, double ended pipe from the filter and delivery pipe completely (looks like a '?') now undo the 8mm bolts holding the filter clamp to the floor and drop the filter down to expose the connector to the feed pipe. Unclipping the pipes from the underfloor clip helps too.Take the usual precautions,( you know, get the wife to put her pipe out while she is holding the candle to illuminate the job) the fuel wont be under much pressure (if any)and it instantly dissipates but there is a good cupful in the filter that will spill. Note the direction of flow and make sure the 'U' clips are fully retracted before pushing them onto the filter and pipes then 'click' them fully home. A smear of grease or vaseline helps it go back together and put a dab of grease on the 8mm bolts to make it easy next time.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Ford Focus Fuel Filter Renewal - Andrew Scott
Thanks Andrew, I will now work up the enthusiam to change the filter, at least it only needs replacing once or twice in the cars life!
Ford Focus Fuel Filter Renewal - mack2222

Thanks for your description of the clips, having watched various videos on the web where folk were poking large screwdrivers at the clips and complaining that they break, without ever showing how one was being undone, your solution in just squeezing the two prongs together is common sense, sadly there is not a lot of it about, many thanks..

Ford Focus Fuel Filter Renewal - John F
I am contemplating changing the fuel filter on my 2003 1.6 Focus,

Has anyone any tips for me please?

Unless you are getting symptoms of fuel starvation [faltering at high revs flat out in 3rd/4th gear on a long motorway hill], finish contemplating and leave it alone. I have never changed a fuel filter in my motoring life of nearly 5 decades, not even on a 34yr old TR7 or a 240,000m + Passat.

If it works, don't mend it.

Ford Focus Fuel Filter Renewal - skidpan

The price of a fuel filter is much less than the cost of a breakdown and the inconvenience.

None I have changed in the past have been difficult once you have sorted how they fit. Just remember that mechanics are only human like the rest of us and they can do it.

Old cars did not normally have replacable filters, only a gause on the end of the pick up and gauze where the pipe went into the carburettor. If dirt got into the carb you could drive for years and would have to be extreemly unlucky for it to block a jet. But if dirt get into the hich pressure pump of a modern injected car (diesel or petrol) it will damage the fuel pump (very expensive to replace) and probably block an injector. The cylinder affected will run lean and possibly you will melt a piston if you keep driving (extreemly expensive to sort)

Don't listen to these posters who insist that it is not necessary to maintain your car.

There is a word for such posters.

Don't listen to these posters who insist that it is not necessary to maintain your car.

There is a word for such posters.

I have read many threads on this site and have never come across such a poster, or indeed 'a word'. It is essential to carefully maintain a car as I do in order to get at least 100,000 miles out of the second hand cars I have bought over the years. However, none of them has ever been taken for a 'service' which can result in necessary work being done carelessly and runs the risk of unnecessary work being advised by those with a vested interest in doing it. Such advice is sometimes reinforced with horror stories, often unbelievable, of what will probably happen if it is not done.

Is there a word for such advisers?

So, OP, listen to everybody; this is an open free speech forum where different views are [usually] politely discussed and make your own mind up.

It is essential to carefully maintain a car as I do i

No you don't. You constantly post on here saying annual oil changes and regular brake fluid changes are unnessary and have claimed recently that you have only carried out 4 oil changes on your TR7 in 30+ years.

If that is careful maintenance then thank the lord I don't do it.

Res ipsa loquitor, skidpan. How do you think my 34yr old 68,000m original reliable unrestored British sports car would still be servicable if it were not for my careful maintenance? No-one else has preventatively maintained it since it was nine months old except me [apart from clutch and exhaust replacement which was beyond my capability.]

How do you think I managed to get over 400,000 miles from a couple of second hand Passats without my careful and thoughtful maintenance, avoiding any unnecessary part replacement and expenditure and certainly no 'service' visits to a garage apart from an MoT and the very occasional repair [e.g. broken spring, failed CVJ boot?]

And I do try to post only when I think there is something worthwhile to say, often in response to something I disagree with. Isn't that what this forum is for, skidpan?

I give up.

Why do we keep giving a shop window to a poster who clearly only wants to keep his old arguement going for his own pleasure.

John F is the only poster who believes that not changing your oil fro long periods and brake fluid ever is a good idea. That alone should give you an indication of his mechanical knowledge.

I give up.

Good. But I offer you some food for thought, skidpan - google 'shaw - all progress', and read on. Something to consider?

I give up.

Good. But I offer you some food for thought, skidpan - google 'shaw - all progress', and read on. Something to consider?

Didn't know George Bernard Shaw was a mechanic.