What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Supercharged Harley - SjB {P}
Five guys all with pass outs for good behaviour and off on our bikes mid June to the south of France via photo shoot at the Millau bridge. Today was a planning day, so we all met chez SjB and then rode out to a Cotswolds pub for grub and the planning session. We've all ridden together before, both on rideouts and on holiday, everyone plays by the rules and applies their experience, and we all get on like a house on fire. The bikes are Honda Hornet 600, Honda Blackbird 1100, Honda SP2, Kawasaki Z7, and Yamaha FZ6.

Today though, we were joined by the next door neighbour of one of our party. He isn't coming to France - perhaps thankfully as it turned out! - but both he and machine stood out from the rest of us, our approach to safety kit, and our machines like chalk and cheese; Beard poking out from silver ROOF open face helmet and fighter pilot style silvered visor, Harley leather jacket and jeans, gloves I believe simply in deference to it being a bit nippy, and over 40 years riding experience behind him, he turned up on a 96 cubic inch (1.5 litre) supercharged Harley Davidson Softail custom!

The roots type blower is mounted vertically to the righthand side of the engine, gear driven from the crank. It's actually a very tidy and professional installation, even down to the paint finish and style of polished parts matching those of the engine. The huge Keihin carb faces forwards where an enormous chrome K&N filter assembly is attached. At idle - potato potato potato much slower than you read these words - the whole thing shakes so much that the filter assembly moves a good inch vertically. With straight through Vance and Hines pipes - I can't call them mufflers - the noise is deafening, the ground really does move, and I'm still describing tickover. I try to be a considerate human being, so goodness knows what the neighbours in my tranquil country village thought, but I'm sure the noise reached Growler so I hope he nodded approval.

For all it's venom, noise, thunder, and living soul though, it's actually a highly inefficient machine. Of course the handling dynamics are poor with the steering rake and weight that it's saddled with, and legs forward with body acting as a sail anything above sixty is very tiring work, but what surprised all of us was how hard that huge motor was having to work for a living. We were in no hurry, but the owner experessed surprise that it wouldn't even live with the two 600s or the 750 (less powerful than the Hornet and FZ6 600s) for acceleration. Contrast this; my rev limiter is at 14000RPM, peak power is at 10,500, and during typical overtakes today I'd be surfing along between 6,000 and 8,500 in a nice lively sweetspot before it all goes banzai. The Harley behind was being ridden flat out using peak power at.... 4800RPM! I'm told by those behind that on one overtake matey clipped the rev limiter at the giddy height of 5500RPM and let an enormous jet of flame out of the twin V&Hs!

Unfortunately though, for all my words telling the owner how impressed (and surprised) I was during a guided tour to find a spotlessly clean, quietly efficient, Harley factory at Capitol Drive, Milwaukee, his machine reinforced the common view of Harley workmanship; knowing our destination, I was leading the group, and at one point noticed only one headlight behind, not five. Sinking feeling. The two of us turned round and headed back towards Stow on the Wold, wondering what we'd find. As it turned out we found four bikes at the roadside, one of which was a broken Harley; the spark plug cap for the rear cylinder had fractured from the vibration. Repair was easy and involved jamming what was left of the boot on to the plug nipple and drawing tight with a cable tie, but it had to be the Harley not one of the Japs that broke, of course! To be fair though, our guest rider had fitted aftermarket plug caps replete with LEDs triggered by the firing pulse, and it was one of these at fault!!

Still a good day out though, and roll on France next month.
Supercharged Harley - Pugugly {P}
NIce read, I was almost there with you. THe Growler would have approved.

"LEDs triggered by the firing pulse, and it was one of these at fault!!"

Oh dear me.

Sounded very enjoyable. (even from here !)

Supercharged Harley - cheddar
Went to the Custom Bike Show at Bath & West Showground, Shepton Mallett yesterday, not as many exhibitors as I thought thought lots of bikes there and lots of Harleys a fair number of which were supercharged.

Tasty highlights were the winning street fighter, a circa 1981 6cyl Honda CBX1000 engine in a bespoke frame, single sided swinger (VFR800) style, upside down forks, what looked like an R1 circa 2002 seat unit etc, very professionaly done. Also an abolutely mint 1981 Yamaha RD250LC that we all agreed would not look out of place in a showroom today, very fresh and contemporary looking, unlike most 1980's bikes that look rather lardy today.

Back to the Harley and characteristics of big V-Twins, the MT-01 I rode last year redlined at around 5500 IIRC, it "only" produced 100bhp with its Akrapovic system (90bhp as std) and sounded like an anti-aircraft gun though of course made loads of torque due to 1700ccs. Easy to hit the limiter on overtakes though when you are used to a redline of well over 10000rpm.

I admit to being rather jealous re the France trip!
Supercharged Harley - Pugugly {P}
"Tasty highlights were the winning street fighter, a circa 1981 6cyl Honda CBX1000 engine in a bespoke frame"

Cheddar I can feel my mouth watering, a CBX, a friend had one of these in the late 70s early 80s, he was a lot older than me and paid £30.00 for insurance, how I envied him, sadly he's dead now......and an RD 250LC from my motorcycling halcyon days......I even had a leather jacket !
Supercharged Harley - mss1tw
I would sell my right, err, kidney for a go on an RD...
Supercharged Harley - SteVee
Good story. Bikes are usually bought for fun, and I imagine the Harley owner has a lot of fun, just different to what a Honda owner would see as fun. I'd rather hear that SP2 rather than the HD.

How do the Hornet and SP2 manage with their small range on these tours ? Do you all fill up at the same time?
Have a great time in France.
Supercharged Harley - SjB {P}
Thanks for the comments, Guys; it was indeed a good day out, if a little different to the one that was intended!

I too remember the stir when the CBX came out, and remember too as a school boy reading MCN wondering how such a wide engine could be mounted in such a spindly frame, running on such spindly tyres! I'd still like to ride one though, and was envious of an ex-colleague and all round nice guy who owned a minter where I used to work in the late eighties.

My next door neighbour at the same time sadly lost his life on his immaculate RD350 race rep, hitting head-on a head-down learner on a 125 who pulled out to conduct an overtake near Denmead. Any early loss of life is a waste, but as he'd been one of the heroes (though he wouldn't admit it) of the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster and helped save many other lives, to watch him leave but then have a policewoman knock on my door instead of him for a beer hit home very hard.

On a happier note, yes SteVee, bikes are indeed usually bought for fun, and I also prefer the noise of the SP to the Harley. A lovely bassline on it standard cans, without being overly offensive. Matey on the Harley is rightly proud of what he has created and can ride the wheels off it - yes, it has raised pegs and non standard tyres - having a ball in the process, but it's still dynamically too limited for me and even in gentle touring mode the Hornet is still a lot more comfortable.

Regarding range, yes, we do tend to fill up at the same time, though have a joke that the ZR7 will get to the South of France and back on a thimblefull of fuel; whenever we fill up, the ZR owner only seems to put a quick splash in the tank! If I ride my Hornet 600 on a cross country run with engine spinning continually in the power band, it returns just 34MPG and I switch to reserve at about 90 miles. In touring mode, or sitting on a motorway at eighty to get somewhere else for the real fun, fuel consumption improves hugely to high forties or low fifties per gallon and the range to reserve improves to 130 miles. The SP2 delivers similar range to reserve values. To be honest though, filling up at 100-130 miles is no problem given that it gives a break and the chance for a natter. As posted here before, only once has it been a nuisance, and that was in France, on a Sunday, trying to find an open petrol station. Having found one, and by then running on the fumes, would the unmanned pumps take English plastic? Non.

Some differences for the French trip this time are that two of us have GPS, and three of us have Autocom fitted; intention is to buy some radios so we can communicate and help keep the pack together; on the first trip, riding straight in to blinding early morning sunshine, we were split up before we even left Cherbourg! ;-) I've used my Autocom both with my GPS and cellphone, and the clarity is staggering.

Finally, thanks for the wishes for the trip; I'll post some photos and a summary of how it went, on my return. We're especially looking forwards to the Tarn Gorge on the Millau section. I've got to drive the V70 to the Czech Republic before then though, returning to pick it up along with my wife and the twins five weeks later after the bike holiday to France; I will post anything of interest from that run too.
Supercharged Harley - cheddar
My next door neighbour at the same time sadly lost his life on his immaculate
RD350 race rep hitting head-on a head-down learner on a 125 who pulled out to
conduct an overtake near Denmead. Any early loss of life is a waste but as
he'd been one of the heroes (though he wouldn't admit it) of the Herald of
Free Enterprise disaster and helped save many other lives to watch him leave but then
have a policewoman knock on my door instead of him for a beer hit home
very hard.

As they say, only the good die young!

25 + years ago a couple of guys I knew were two up on a 400/4 when another bike coming the other way pulled out to overtake, it was also two up, the rider and passenger on the other bike lost their lives, of the guys I knew one was unscathed and the other left disabled, I have lost contact so dont know how his is today.

Also in the late 80's I was a regular on the TT Dover to Ostend ferries on my way up to Denmark, crossed a short while after the Herald disaster, it was very poingant heading into Ostend on a sister ship.