What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
A couple of Automatic gearbox issues - bromine
1. BMW e36 320i auto. It's done about 140k miles now and it's my friend's car. The car has no reverse gear now, can only go forward, but when going seems to be going fine, is it the reverse gear needs rebuilding or the whole gearbox?? How much is it going to cost him to repair it? (The car is worth about a grand.)

2. Honda Accord 98 R reg Automatic, 2.0 petrol, 108k miles. One of the automatic gearbox oil pipes came off one day, it was oil all over the place. We reconnected the pipe and put another clip on, pushed it to the side and added oil. It went fine for about 10 miles, then started to slip and will not go at all. Then pushed into garage and left for a while and seems to be working with a little bit slipping now, but a bit worried about taking it out coz it will take ages to get back again if it fails again! Is it the gearbox already damaged or is there air trapped inside the gearbox? Will it help if taken out to run? Or do i need to bleed the gearbox?!

Any help would be great!
A couple of Automatic gearbox issues - Ruperts Trooper
BMW worth £1000 - try and source a working secondhand gearbox - rebuilding the current one would cost about the same, or more, than the car's value.

Honda - check the transmission oil level - usually with engine running at idle using cold or hot markers on dipstick. It might be worth draining and refilling fluid, make sure you don't overfill.
A couple of Automatic gearbox issues - Peter D
What 'oil' did you put in it and how far was it driven emptying itself . Regards Peter
A couple of Automatic gearbox issues - Micky
Farewell to the BM, although you might get a reasonable part exchange. A devious person would attempt to sell it privately.

Honda: check the levels again by the book. Autos usually involve a strange ritual requiring a hot engine and running the shifter thingy through the gate three times and then dipping within 30s.

The few autos I dabbled with, I could measure the level cold and hot-with-frantic-operation-of-the-shifter, no difference whatsover.

A couple of Automatic gearbox issues - Aprilia
I suspect the Honda was underfilled. It may now be damaged (burnt clutches from low line pressure).

The BMW is now 'spares or repair' I would say....