What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Road Test of New Mondeo - MichaelR
Good review, shaping up to be a nice car.

But.. Mondeo III? Even Ford acknowledge that Mondeo III was the 00-07 Mondeo - despite similarites the 93-96 and 96-00 were different models.
Road Test of New Mondeo - Vincent de Marco
"It has excellent ride quality."

Hmm, I reckon you mean the 2.0 TDCI on its 16" rims rather than 18" on the ST ?
- - - - - - -
Free enterprise is the basis of western democracy.
Road Test of New Mondeo - Dalglish
... spec also includes electric front windows, electric heated door mirrors, follow-me-home lights ...

?? what are follow-me-home lights ?
Road Test of New Mondeo - daveyjp
Lights which stay on after you have locked the car to light your way to the back door.

Re this problem:

"In strong sunlight the dash vent grille reflects in the windscreen"

£25 Polarising sunglasses from Boots will sort this. Had the same problem on the Aygo which has a highly reflective dash, but the sunglasses work a treat.
Road Test of New Mondeo - Dalglish
Lights which stay on after you have locked the car to light your way to the back door.

thanks davey. for a few minutes i thought they might be some latest advances in lights that you switch on for the benefit of your mates who following you along unfamiliar routes! ;-)
Road Test of New Mondeo - Avant
Lights that stay on for 30 seconds or a minute to let you see your way to your house and find the keyhole - provided you don't reverse into your driveway, or have to park down the street.

A very informative road test, as always - thanks HJ. My only real objection to the Mondeo is the oversupply leading to faster depreciation than on, say, a VW: let's hope HJ is right in thinking that the new Mondeo will hold its value better. It sounds as if it deserves to.
Road Test of New Mondeo - ablandy
well, i think im leaning towards this over the audi - never thought i would say that!

looks better in silver and that interior with the wood is grim. Reminds me of the odd wood effect i saw when lookings at accords.

Anyone know when the dealers get demo ones? i want to see one in the flesh now.
Road Test of New Mondeo - cheddar
I agree with Michael R, while MkII was but a facelift of MkI is was nevertheless called Mk II so the 00-07 car is MkIII and the ne3w one MkIV.

Interesting test, are you sure the 2.2d will be twin turbo? The specs for the Ford/PSA 2.2 engine quote 175 BHP twin turbo and 175bhp variable vane single turbo (as well as the 150 bhp single turbo in the Freelander) I wonder if Ford might use the 175 bhp variable vane single turbo in the Mondeo etc because it will suit their approach to particulates better than the twin turbo, PSA of course use an additive.

Road Test of New Mondeo - ziggy
Lights that stay on for 30 seconds or a minute to
let you see your way to your house and find the
keyhole - provided you don't reverse into your driveway or have
to park down the street.

The problem is you have to keep checking the lights do go off and you have
not accidentally left them on..!
A very informative road test as always - thanks HJ. My
only real objection to the Mondeo is the oversupply leading to
faster depreciation than on say a VW: let's hope HJ is
right in thinking that the new Mondeo will hold its value
better. It sounds as if it deserves to.

If list prices are more realistic and discounts lower then depreciation should not be
so severe. This is a big problem with PSA/Ford discounting policy is that
Co car drivers get taxed on the list price whilst the lease cost is not so competitive either.

My suspicion is PSA/Ford are addicted to fantasy list prices/discounting, but they must be under pressure from supermarkets/brokers etc.

The test mentions Ghia X though current specs are Ghia or Titanium X, perhaps Ghia X is to follow?
Road Test of New Mondeo - Dynamic Dave
Lights that stay on for 30 seconds or a minute to let you see your way to
your house and find the keyhole - provided you don't reverse into your driveway ....

When I activate the "follow me home" lights on my Vectra, the reverse lights also come on, so there's no problem with which way round you park the car on the driveway.
HJ, did you see my point about the 2.2d, any conatct you can ask or have they said "twin turbo" categorically?

Thanks.
Road Test of New Mondeo - sony
8 year perforation warranty??? Doesn't sound too good to me? Most manufacturers offer 12 years don't they? Tut,tut Ford get your act together!!
Road Test of New Mondeo - leef
8 year perforation warranty??? Doesn't sound too good to me? Most manufacturers offer 12 years don't they?
Tut tut Ford get your act together!!

Get your act together? Just by doing 20 second check on Honda, Renault and Hyunda they all offer only a 6 year warranty, some only do 5 years. In fairness Audi and Merc and probably a few others do a 12 year one. I can live with 8 years...

Lee
Road Test of New Mondeo - Round The Bend
HJ, first review I've seen and very interesting. You seem every bit as enthisiastic as when you drove the Mk II 1.8 LX back in January 2002! Where did you test it?

When the last version came out I never thought I'd be a Mondeo owner but 20k miles of easy ownership have enlightened me. Once you drive it you quickly forget the badge.
_______
IanS
Road Test of New Mondeo - a900ss
"If Audi, BMW and Mercedes owners drove it without knowing what it was, most would think it was a better car. But as soon as they found out it was a Ford, badge snobbery and the fear of massive depreciation would start getting in the way."

That's going to be the real problem. Ford make some great cars but the badge is waht's very important in this country.

I've just picked up an S-Max after having had a BMW 320d touring. The S-Max has far exceeded my expectations of it compared to the BMW.

Road Test of New Mondeo - Martin Sweeney
When we had the smax last year we were blown away by how much Ford had raised the bar in pretty much every area. My wife has been a happy Audi owner from way back and myself a recent convert but we both agreed that the smax really did tick all the boxes and is the current favorite for her A4's replacement. If the Mondeo is cut from the same cloth and HJ's roadtest looks goo then it really is going to be a thorn in the side of the exec saloons. If Ford get demo cars out to companies for long test drives targetting those in A4/3/c series and even A6/5/e class I think they'll change some preconceptions and make inroads. If the smax is anything to go by, I'd have one, though certainly without that dodgy orange wood finish.
Road Test of New Mondeo - Altea Ego
Well if my company car list is anything to go by - they wont be selling shedloads of company cars for a while. Minimal discount at the moment with sky high lease payments compared to old.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Road Test of New Mondeo - Martin Sweeney
Far point. I haven't seen our list for a while. If sky high is greater than A4/3/cI then yikes. If it's the same but top line and fully specced then they might well make inroads but IME the biggest hurdle is to get those punters into the car in the first place. I'm mustard keen to have a spin in this car but most of my workmates would sooner set fire to their gentles than consider a Ford. This is a mental attitude but real and fairly common. Ford need to be proactive here without going straight to discounts.
Road Test of New Mondeo - daveyjp
"churning out fields of LXs for rental fleets they are concentrating on high spec cars to order"

As Ford and Hertz have a very close association and being a subsidary company in the past it will be interesting to see how they square this circle.

Hertz will still need a number of large four door cars which are churned every 10,000 miles/6 months and unless they change brand the only way to fill this demand is with the Mondeo.
"churning out fields of LXs for rental fleets they are concentrating on high spec cars to order"

No-one is going to shell out full price on a high specced Ford of any kind to order. Its probably a very good car, an excelent car and after my recent experience in a new 5 series diesel, probably a better car.

But at the end of the day its a Ford. If I want a High spec ford built to order, it will be a jaguar or a volvo
Its all very well saying "ah yes they can swop the line around at the drop of a hat and build as as when they want" BUT its still cost gazzilions pf pounds to develop this car, and that has to be paid back in sales.

Its a doomed marketing strategy.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Hj -

the mistake was making the new mondeo in any shape at all. It shouldnt exist. For the marketing strategy to work it should be the new X type. NO mondeo. A new jaguar.

then the high spec build to order strategy works.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Because everyone knew it was a warmed over mondeo and not a real jaguar. If there is NO mondeo, then an X type (you couldnt call it an x-type of course - thats a flawed name now) could flourish.

What I am saying is that big ford exec saloons ( and its now big) dont sell. Wont sell and will continue to loose market share to "prestige badge" big saloons that command minimal discounts. So why bother?

But hey Ford know what they are doing - thats whay they are making shed loads of money.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Road Test of New Mondeo - cattleman6
I accept and truly understand that it is a very good car. I am certainly in no way a snob with cars. I have owned my present Seat Toledo since the end of 1999. It is a lovely looking car and has always been incredibly reliable ( I have now done 143,000 miles with it).
No matter how good the new Mondeo is I wouldn't get it as I really don't like the look from certain angles. I don't want to be confrontational in any way, as personal preferences with car looks are as different as chalk and cheeze with people.
I still prefer the looks of the new C Class Avantgarde, the Audi A4, BMW( I like the 5 series better than the 3 series) and I really like the new Lexus IS.
It is all a personal thing. I have a friend who loves Fords and their looks.
Road Test of New Mondeo - Roly93
8 year perforation warranty??? Doesn't sound too good to me? Most manufacturers offer 12 years
don't they? Tut tut Ford get your act together!!

>>
This pretty irrelevant realy as anti-perforation warranties have more holes than a swiss cheese normally. Ie you have to have the car annually inspected, there must be no signs of damage or abuse to the paintwork whatsoever, damage such as stone chips have to be repaired by an authorised repairer etc etc.
How many people have succesfully claimed on such a policy even after 6 years ? And how many people do all of the things needed to realistically keep the warranty current ?
Road Test of New Mondeo - rtj70
My Mondeo is suffering from the rusting problem at the bottom of the rear doors. Awaiting body shop to get back in touch etc.

To my surprise (have to admit to not checking before) the dealer had not been stamping the paint inspection section on services - but obviously I know they stamped the service schedule.

Body shop tells me paint inspection is an extra task they are no obliged to do without asking! Get out for Ford then. In my case don't think it's an issue because repairable but had they been worse and needed replacing then Ford may have queried it. It's also a known problem on this batch of doors apparently - they were not sealed where they were made and were shipped to Genk factory where sealer was applied and trapped moisture inside.
Road Test of New Mondeo - zm
I can't help thinking the petrol engine line up is a bit limited. I mean the 11.6/1.8/2.0 versions will be adequate but that is all. The new mondeo is a big car of course. The 2.5 turbo - entertaining, quick and capable though it is - is known for being a serious petrol drinker; apparently even in the lighter Focus ST it struggles to better 22/23 mpg when driven gently. I can't help thinking that a low pressure turbo 2.0 litre would fill the gap nicely. As it is I understand that the 2.3 petrol will be auto only, which seems a bit odd.
"I mean the 11.6/1.8/2.0"

I didn't realise they had a 11.6l model... that will be thirsty ;-)

Looking at the emissions for the 2.5 turbo, that would mean for a company car it's 32% BIK this year. Ouch!

Any body else looked at the cup holders in the central console... between the two there is gap that looks like it might hold an MP3 player verticially between them. Or am I imagining that? Might be a simple design addition?

www.channel4.com/4car/gl/ford/mondeo/8139/8
HJ

Is that horrible fake wood trim in the tango red car a Ghia model my any chance? If it is and I wanted one of these then I'd have to go for either a Zetec or Titanium X.
Road Test of New Mondeo - Sprice
It will in time become as thoroughly a boring sight as current Mondeos.

I don't really like it, its too big and bland from some aspects- yet another fat, over-sized car I'll have to struggle past on country roads in my Colt!
Road Test of New Mondeo - Imagos
>>don't really like it, its too big and bland from some aspects- yet another fat, over-sized car I'll have to struggle past on country roads in my Colt!

Amazing how you can dismiss a car without ever seeing it or driving it.

Even more amazing is that your own car is hardly cutting edge.

Big?. maybe

Bland..? er no.
Road Test of New Mondeo - Sprice
Amazing how you can dismiss a car without ever seeing it or driving it.
Even more amazing is that your own car is hardly cutting edge.
Big?. maybe
Bland..? er no.

Its easy actually, give it a go, why do you think you need to see or drive a car to dismiss it? Would you really have to see or drive a Hummer to dismiss it. Wait til every other car on the road is this new barge, then it will be bland? er yes.
Road Test of New Mondeo - Soupytwist
In one of the marketing publications I receive at work there's a news item on the marketing campaign Ford is undertaking to promote the new Mondeo to fleet managers in the UK. They're targetting 30,000 of them with a mailing that promotes the cost saving advantages of the new MOndeo - cheaper insurance and lower fuel consumption.

Looks like they're still targetting the fleet market quite aggressively but pushing other benefits rather than offering huge discounts. Wonder if it'll last?
--
Soupytwist !
Road Test of New Mondeo - gmac
With regard to the engine options it will be interesting to see if they offer a sporting option with their own 3.2V6 Bridgend built unit or even the 4.4V8 as fitted to the S80.
It appears odd that Ford are now fitting Volvo T5 engines in their sportier models while Volvo are now fitting Ford V6 and (Yamaha)V8's ?
The Bridgend built 3.2l is a straight 6 engine that goes in Volvo's. In fact it's called the SI6 - short-inline 6. I thought there were plans to fit a turbocharged version with 3.0l capacity to an ST badged Mondeo.

Question is if they do fit it, then will it be the light pressure version (285bhp/295 ft·lbf) or the high pressure one (350 hp/332 ft·lbf).
Just popped into the local garage to take a look. They had 5-door Zetec, Ghia and Titanium X. I really think it looks good (but not the wood trim on the Ghia). And it looks smaller than it really is.

Perhaps not surprising is I knew more than the bloke who worked there. Whilst looking at the Titanium X conversation went a bit like this:

Me: ...and there's a Titanium coming later in the year
Him: No this is the Titanium
Me: No this is the Titanium X
Him: No there's isn't going to be a Titanium X - this is the Titanium with sports pack
Me: No this is the Titanium X (the badge said it and the little printed up page said it). I say again there's going to be a Titanium later in 2007 as that is what the latest brochure says. And I add in Europe they have Titanium and Ghia X.
Him: Goes on about no mention on the course last week etc.
His colleague: Says yes there is going to be the Titanium model but have no details
Me: I tell him the differences in spec
Him: He asks me did I know how much!
Me: I guessed it would be the same as the Ghia as the spec over the Zetec was nearly the same. And Ford Germany's website has them the same.

At this point I give in... then look at the printed page that tells you the emissions, company car tax bands etc. And guess what it's wrong. I tell them the benefit in kind will be 21% this year and they say they get this paperwork from Ford and do not print themselves. They have it down as 18% for the diesel and it of course should have 3% added. And next year it will be 19% + 3% but they have it has 18% for the next 3 years!

Ford of Europe is not doing as badly as Ford in America but with salesmen with this level of knowledge and erroneous literature you do wonder.
Well it turns out Ford did not let dealers know anything about the Titanium model until 3pm today via updates to the system. But I downloaded the new brochure in PDF format last night. And the car is indeed the same price as the Ghia model and will be pretty much available to order straight away with first cars available in August.

How do i know this? I phoned Ford customer service to tell them about the car tax error and they said they'd pass onto the manager in charge of the Mondeo launch. Left name/number if they wanted to call me back. Ten minutes later a call from the man in charge and explained the problem. When I mentioned the Titanium he was surprised I knew about it but when I asked when is "late 2007" he said August will be when they are built and you can order from Monday. He also confirmed the price.

Thankfully there will not be a Ghia X with the horrid wood in the UK :-)

So the Titanium is basically the same spec as the Ghia without the wood, with the same wheels as the Titanium and you gain the Convers+ display and lose autowindscreen wipers and automatic lights. The Titanium X has additionally the adaptive lights, Alcantra/leather, heated seats, the keyless starting, auto lights/wipers and rear armrest with cup holders and storage. But the Titanium X is £2000 more.
Road Test of New Mondeo - gmac
ST is currently missing from the range but IF it does appear:

If a new ST does get the green light, expect it to be diesel-powered. 'Towards the end of the old model's life, sales were split 80/20 in favour of diesel,' said Steve Adams, Ford's vehicle line director for large and luxury cars. 'If we do build a new ST, it would be a diesel, although there could be a petrol version as well.'

This could be a Volvo D5 at 185bhp tunable to 226 or, the 2.7 twin turbo c.205bhp as fitted in Jaguar.

Can't see where the ST is going as the 2.5 petrol turbo in a less sporty Titanium or Ghia is already putting out around 220bhp.
Road Test of New Mondeo - DP
This could be a Volvo D5 at 185bhp tunable to 226 or the 2.7 twin
turbo c.205bhp as fitted in Jaguar.

Oh no, I feel a bank loan coming on......

The twin turbo 2.7 diesel is coming... And the twin turbo 2.2.
Rumour has it that Ford may use a single variable vane version of the 2.2 with the same power and torque figures as the 2.2. The spec for such an engine is quoted in the Ford / PSA tech spec published for the engine family along side the 150bhp version used in the Freelander.
Road Test of New Mondeo - Brian Tryzers
Driving impressions will have to wait a while, I'm afraid - I suddenly have something more urgent to attend to tomorrow. Don't worry - it will happen!