What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Car Insurance Certificates Issued Online - doreen
Millions of motorists will be able to arrange their motor insurance quicker and more conveniently thanks to a proposed change in the law announced today said the Association of British Insurers.

The Department for Transport (Dft) today announced plans to enable motor insurance certificates to be issued electronically. Currently the law requires these certificates to be sent by insurers to policyholders by post. Motor insurance certificates are legal evidence of insurance, and are needed when arranging road tax, MOT and by the police.

Justin Jacobs, the ABI?s head of motor insurance, said: "This is good news for customers and insurers. Over half of UK households are now online, and this will enable them to arrange motor insurance more speedily. This will be especially helpful when buying and taxing a vehicle quickly .It will also help insurers provide a faster, more cost-effective service to their customers".

Source: HomeApproved Motor Insurance. April, 2007.
Car Insurance Certificates Issued Online - bell boy
good .
about time.
Car Insurance Certificates Issued Online - Armitage Shanks {p}
"It will also help insurers provide a faster, more cost-effective service to their customers".

Does this mean thay will make more money or that premiums will come down or none of the above?
Car Insurance Certificates Issued Online - bell boy
none of the above

but it means motor traders dont have to tax cars in future for them........dodgy at ther best of times

roll on tvt i say
Car Insurance Certificates Issued Online - kithmo
I seem to remember printing off a cover note emailed to me by a new insurance company, when I changed insurers at renewal time, some years ago. Is this not allowed now ?
Car Insurance Certificates Issued Online - Dalglish
.. printing off a cover note emailed to me by a new insurance company, ..

even with the new system, and the current system, it is wise to have a hard-copy of your insurance document.
why? see -

www.homeapproved.co.uk/industry-watch-0407.htm
Drivers Fined in Insurance Record Chaos
Thousands of motorists are being accused of driving without insurance and threatened with fines or being taken to court because their underwriters are too slow in updating records.
The problem is centered on automatic number plate recognition devices, which every police force in the UK uses to check whether a motorist has insurance and tax and satisfies other legal requirements. If they are at fault, motorists are pulled over. They can be fined, have their cars seized and issued with penalty points.
Insurers are given 14 days to put the renewal data on the Motor Insurance Database (MID) and the police data is updated from that only once every 14 days. So if drivers renew insurance policies just before expiry, they might still register as uninsured for up to a month.
An MID spokesperson said the organisation was aware of the problem and added that there was a 'responsibility on all of us to renew our car insurance policies in time'. The Association of Chief Police Officers said 'The police service is working closely with the MID to get insurance companies, including brokers, to update the system more quickly'.

Car Insurance Certificates Issued Online - martint123
I got emailed a covernote as an attachment when I got cover for my bikes with eBike. I guess their car ones are the same.
Car Insurance Certificates Issued Online - cheddar
e-Bike / e-Car covernotes are generated instantly online, the certs arrive in the post a day or two later.
Car Insurance Certificates Issued Online - henry k
The Department for Transport (Dft) today announced plans to enable motor insurance certificates to be issued electronically.

So when If I am stopped by the ANPR lads I can produce any old printout on any old paper with a logo at the top and they will accept that the database is wrong and I am legal.
They have no means of checking unless they call the Insurance co and pass their security checks.
"Sorry to have stopped you sir! you are OK".
Have I missed something?