What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo TDCI auto stuck in park - vbehar
Ford Mondeo TDCI (130) auto 52 reg

The gear lever cannot be shifted out of park in normal operation. Local Ford main dealer has diagnosed as follows "Suspect gear lever assembly solenoid at fault, replacement lever assembly required - £310 fitted".

The gear lever can be moved out of park by using the manual override as indicated in the handbook, but this is obviously not a long term solution.

The price of the repair seems expensive. Does the whole assembly need to be replaced to correct the suspected faulty solenoid or is there a simpler option?

Any advice gratefully received.
Ford Mondeo TDCI auto stuck in park - injection doc
I know it sounds daft but do your brake lights work as the p- lock solonoid is operated by the brake switch. worth a check
Thanks for the reply. An AA man looked at the brake light switch and got me to check the brake lights which were working fine at that time. Because of this he suspected the park lock solenoid. One of the brake lights has gone on the blink since.

Have you a view on the estimated cost of £310?
Ford Mondeo TDCI auto stuck in park - bell boy
yep.........sounds reasonable for a ford in 2007
personally i would source and fit low mileage s/h ,but then i do come from yorkshire
Thanks for the confirmation. It's an expense I could have done without (aren't they all). Not competent to source and fit s/h, so I'll have to bite the bullet and spend the money.
Ford Mondeo TDCI auto stuck in park - David Horn
If the car allows you to pull out the ignition key without putting the lever in P, then for the vast majority of driving you can probably get away with leaving the lever in N when you leave the car. Make sure the handbrake works though!! I don't leave any automatic I drive in Park, reckon there's a lot of potential for damage if someone runs into the back for the car while it's parked.

Have you tried begging Ford for a contribution?
I don't leave any automatic I drive
in Park, reckon there's a lot of potential for damage if
someone runs into the back for the car while it's parked.

>>
>>>>
<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>>
i would never ever leave an auto in anything but park
why?
because you you are depending on the handbrake only, to hold what is usually a big heavy car, which more often than not has a small handbrake inboard of the rear disc or uses a heath robinson way of holding the pads on the disc,
Most auto drivers very rarely use the handbrakes properly at the best of times so the park facility is ideal with the pawl in the box locking everything nicely and not depending on compression of pistons for holding steady.
i believe it is bad practise as in advanced driving as well (or it should be)
use the park...................always
dont worry about strikes up the back thats what you pays yer insurance for bruv
Ford Mondeo TDCI auto stuck in park - henry k
I don't leave any automatic I drive in Park, reckon there's a lot of potential for damage if
someone runs into the back for the car while it's parked.

There is one tiny problem with this approach.
I can only remove the ignition key when the lever of my 98 Mondeo is in Park.
For this exact reason
it reminds americans that car no go ho unless in park
get it fixed please ,not a heath robinson fix
oops read it as yours was broked
been a long day #
just finished
apologies
Ford Mondeo TDCI auto stuck in park - David Horn
No worries. Obviously, park is used on steep inclines but the OP could perhaps carry a screwdriver for those circumstances... ;)
Having decided to have the repair done at my local main dealer, I have been waiting for the parts to arrive before booking in the car. Unfortunately the car has now lost all its electrics.

The car had been used without going into park. This did involve leaving the key in the ignition and using another key for locking - not altogether secure but what can you do. Last time I drove the car I did put it into park in order to change the key. The override mechanism then had to be used to move the lever into neutral. I am pretty sure I started the car again before switching off. On locking the car the remote failed to work, and all electrics were found to be inactive. I am pretty sure it is not the battery because the car had been working perfectly till then.

Could the immobiliser have somehow been triggered? Is loss of all electrics how the immobiliser operates?
Any advice gratefully received because I now have the problem of transporting the car to the dealer.

Thanks in advance
Ford Mondeo TDCI auto stuck in park - Aprilia
I wouldn't think immobilier would cause total electrical shut-down. I suspect you have a more fundamental problem (e.g. you have somehow discharged the battery).

On another theme - I suspect you could simply remove the shift interlock altogther. I believe it is required for the US but is not a legal requirement for the UK - its a extra safety feature, but loads of auto don't have it.