W Fiesta Finesse 5dr coolant leak - Fallscrape
I have a W-Reg 5-door Fiesta Finesse

Just had my car recently serviced (feb) and about two-three weeks later noticed a fishy/horse smell coming from my heaters. Since I've been transporting a lot of manure about I didn't think much of it. Last week my dad went into hospital and I had to transport my mum in the car and seeing as it was 2am she wanted the heating on.

No luck - and I'd been noticing a clonking noise coming out of the dash.

Next day I checked the coolant level and noticed the tank totally empty - nothing in the pipes at all. So I filled up (overfilled in fact) and noticed that two days later the level has dropped below the min level.

I've checked below the car this morning and I've got a few drops of oil and a bit of water underneath - not puddles but just general dampness. Doesn't seem to be a fast leak and because of the smell I'm thinking there might be a leak in the heater matrix?

Anything common I should be looking for? Oil seems to be coming from roughly the same place. It has been eating oil recently but I've not noticed any coming from the exhaust.

both leaks are coming out roughly by the drivers side front wheel
it is a mk5
W Fiesta Finesse 5dr coolant leak - bell boy
re water leak
sounds like the water pump
get the system pressure tested at a garage to confirm/deny
re oil use
is engine worn out?
There is water around the pump, but I don't think the water is specifically coming from the pump. I think it might be the hose.

Obviously though the water is pooling away from the heater and the air intakes so I'm thinking that the heating matrix might be leaky too (because of the fishy smell). Is that the most likely scenario?

I'm going home now and I'm going to try and have a look, though the garage has already told me to bring it down. Initial quote is around £300 if replacing the pump as it requires a new timing belt to be fitted which requires some sort of kit. Is that realistic?
too dear
go to another garage get them to do a pressure test of your water system
W Fiesta Finesse 5dr coolant leak - RichardW
Oil and water on the floor, and possible matrix leak? I'd be worrying if the head gasket was gone, which is leaking oil and water, and has pressurised the system causing the matrix to leak......
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
having just got the motor home the leak doesn't seem to be forthcoming. Definate puddle under the car at work. At home nothing... I'm thinking it is probably just as a result of the flush and have reflushed it and am adding new antifreeze since the rest probably boiled off and some radweld to fix any small holes. If the smell persists then I will have to look at a more perminant solution.

The oil incidently (now discovered) seems to be coming from the power steering motor, so I'm looking at £35 from a scrap dealer and will hopefully replace myself. Not sure about the timing belt...

Any idea what kind of antifreeze mix I should use?
W Fiesta Finesse 5dr coolant leak - Dynamic Dave
Any idea what kind of antifreeze mix I should use?

50/50 mix.
I did a full flush though since it had one recently I didn't bother to flush the radiator seperately.

Popped down to halfords and got the right coolant since the stuff they recommended was blue and the stuff I needed was orange. I also upgraded from 1ltr to 5, since my tank is (according to the haynes) 7.1 litres, so I added 3.5ltrs and topped up with water. I didn't seem to add as much water so I'm a little worried the antifreeze is on the heavy side but apparently it can be at 60-70% without any trouble. Should protect me against any 'day after tomorrow' events anyway.

Added some radweld and the smell has pretty much gone. Fingers crossed I won't need to do it for a while - antifreeze bottle says 10 years till replacement though I suspect the car won't last that long.

Oil is coming from power steering pump. that's £35 second hand from the scrappie so I'm going to try and pull the timing belt off, replace and get the belt back on without braking it. Wish me luck!
antifreeze the more undiluted it is has a good propensity to find minute holes
why didnt you bother with a £5 pressure test then?
I could have done, but at the time I went to visit the garage in the afternoon of posting no-one had replied. Since then unfortunately I have had compulsory long working hours.

It seemed pointless to get it done however when I knew there was a leak in the system and it was coming from around the pump area and the heating matrix. The radweld has temporarily done the job for me. No fishy smell this morning. If and when the radweld fails I'll pop along to my garage and get it pressure tested and probably replace the heater matrix and pump. Thanks for all the advice though!