What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo TDCi 130 ECU Update - Help - daveweim
Hi Everyone,

We have an 03 (Oct reg) Mondeo estate TDCi 130 that is an ex-fleet car that we purchased from an independent trader (non local) last november. We are happy with the car and have had no problems. I have read on this forum however than an ECU update was available that boosted fuel economy and improved performance. I phoned my local Ford dealer to see if they could determine whether the update had been done based on the reg number but they said they couldn't. Is there any way of finding out whether this update has been done? The service record for the car doesn't mention anything about the upgrade.

Thanks in advance.
Mondeo TDCi 130 ECU Update - Help - Altea Ego
Nope the only way is to take it to a Ford garage and get the to check it and see.

You will a: have to pay for the check
and b: pay for the upgrade if they do it.n (well labour charge anyway)
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Mondeo TDCi 130 ECU Update - Help - cheddar
You will a: have to pay for the check
and b: pay for the upgrade if they do it.n (well
labour charge anyway)

The dealer would proably charge about £50 + vat to plug it in so it would be the same price to check whether or not they update the car at the same time.

However "if it aint broke dont fix it" is a good adage, what MPG do you get?

One thing you can do yourself is to disconnect the battery for at least 30mins (if you have the radio code, and handbook to reset the windows if need be), this clears the ECUs learning function, where it adapts to driving style. If you do this it may be a bit tinkly sounding initially afterwards though will settle down as it re-learns. This would be the case after a reprogramming anyway.

According to the trip computer we average around 40mpg for around town driving, which is mainly short journeys and then on longer trips (not necesarily motorway) we average around 47 mpg. Is this reasonable?
Sounds quite reasonable though depends on the accuracy of the computer, I have had my 2002 Ghia X 130 5dr for nearly 5 years, now on 115k miles, it has averaged (calculated) 47mpg, reckon crawling through city traffic it might fall to 40 ish though on a motorway run it will do 55mpg plus at 70 mph and 50 ish mpg at 80 to 85. The trip computer tends to be perhaps 1 to 2 mpg optimistic compared with calculating it accurately.
PS: economy is helped by using the torque not the revs, the way it pulls from 1800 to 3000 rpm means rapid progress can be made without going over 3000.
Mondeo TDCi 130 ECU Update - Help - kithmo
I would leave it as is, if you're happy with it and had no problems. Some owners have had problems after upgrading. IIRC some mechanicals were upgraded on later cars, the cylinder head and injectors I think, and the ECU upgrade may be a compromise without the later mechanicals. IMO a bit like trying to run Windows Vista on an older PC, it may work but not to its full potential.
Hi All,

Many thanks for the advice. I will leave things as they are I think!!