What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Focus TDCI LX - 90ps or 110ps fitted? - redoctober
Hi all,

New to the forum so please be gentle

I've just paid the deposit on an 06 plate 1.6 TDCI focus from the local ford garage, however there seems to be a little bit of confusion about the spec of the engine on the car.

Initially the ford dealer thought it was the 90ps engine as this was what was shown on their stock sheet. Following further checks by the dealer using the system ford use to track the details of each car they make (forget the name of the system now) they have the car down as having the 1.6 tdci 110ps LX (with DPF).

However im getting a bit worried as all of the insurance sites i've been getting quotes from identify the car as a tdci 1.6 90ps (88php) when given the reg number of the car.

I had a similar problem with my last car, an MX5. The insurance sites identified it as being a ICON special edition, but one look at the car and you could see it wasnt so i didnt get too worried about it.

How can I prove one way or another which engine the car has? The last thing i want to do is buy the car thinking its a 110 and find out at any point its a 90 after a few months.

Whats the chances fords data for the car is wrong and it actually is a 90ps engine? Are there any visible clues as to which engine this car has?

I know its fitted with one of the "DLD-416" engines, but how can i tell if its the DV6 ATED4 (90ps) or the DV6 TED4 (110ps)

Any ideas greatfuly received.

Cheers.
Chris
Focus TDCI LX - 90ps or 110ps fitted? - Screwloose
Chris

If it's anything like the old Focus; it's got the horsepower of the engine marked onto the airbox/intercooler cover - very prominently.

Those engines appear to be the Peugeot HDi ones [I've lost count of how many different makes of diesels are in a Focus] and are virtually identical units - it's only the ancilliaries that differ. You can even uprate the 90 to 110 with a plug in "P-box" from Peugeot.
Focus TDCI LX - 90ps or 110ps fitted? - redoctober
Hi there,

Thanks for the follow up....

Yeah that was the first thing i looked for as i'd seen that on an older focus but no luck on this one im afraid.

Ford are telling me its the DPF model of the car, in which case, as I understand it...... theres a filler pipe of some sort in the boot that has something to do with the DPF in the exhaust system. Not sure if this is true or not but it's something else i'm going to check before I go back down to pay anything for the car.

Since the 90ps engine doesnt come with a DPF then this should confirm it..... only problem is.... the 110ps engine did come without a DPF for a while..... sigh... So if it doesnt have one, then i'm back to the start again.
Chris

That's a diesel particulate filter; not exactly a great benefit to the owner. There's plenty on here about them; search/Google for "Eolys."

Frankly; if it hasn't got one; that's a bonus.
Focus TDCI LX - 90ps or 110ps fitted? - jc2
Ford don't use EOLYS or anyother chemical;somewhere on the vehicle-engine compartment or door pillar will be the VIN plate,with not just the chassis number but codes for engine,transmission,body, and other items.
The engine code will also be stamped on the engine somewhere,usually where it can be seen from the front of the car;they will be small capitals-1/4 in. high-usually but not always on the block close to the head at the transmission end.May be 2,3 or 4 letters.
They do offer chemical regeneration on one range of engines;others use heat produced by altering the engine running parameters to burn off the particulates.Johnson Matthey website is v.good.
Focus TDCI LX - 90ps or 110ps fitted? - pmh

Very good explanation here of the technology

ect.jmcatalysts.com/technologies-diesel-regenerati...m

If you are a PSA EOLYS user it swould seem a good idea not to let it run out!

As the HDis get older on the road I would expect that many owners will not bother with the (highly priced) EOLYs, will it be an acceptable (not 'green') solution to remove the particle filter? Does the MoT (or will it) currently monitor particulates for diesel to the new Euro levels? other than visible smoke test?

--

pmh (was peter)

Focus TDCI LX - 90ps or 110ps fitted? - y2k+4
I would ring the DVLA, or ask Ford to check that. If it doesn't say (110) on it, it'll be the 90bhp as this is considered the "standard" hp of the engine and the higher outputs are listed when appropriate. At least this is what I've learnt from motorhouse anyway (I imagine the insurers do this hence the consistency of 90)...being a bit silly maybe here, but could you not test drive it next to a 90bhp and 110bhp and work it out that way? After all this Ford dealer ought to have versions of both...
Focus TDCI LX - 90ps or 110ps fitted? - MikeTorque
You could have the car tested on a rolling road that tests for bhp, it would mean revving the engine to around 4000 rpm. Another way is to have the ECU contents checked to ascertain what software is has been installed.
Focus TDCI LX - 90ps or 110ps fitted? - cheddar
I would ring the DVLA, or ask Ford to check that.
If it doesn't say (110) on it, it'll be the 90bhp
as this is considered the "standard" hp of the engine and
the higher outputs are listed when appropriate. >>

Ford first fitted this engine to the C-Max initially in 110 form only, it was the 90 that came along later.
[I've lost
count of how many different makes of diesels are in a
Focus] >>

Two?

Focus I
1.8 sohc Ford unit in 90, 100 (CR) and 115 (CR)

Focus II
1.6 dohc Ford / PSA unit in 90 and 110 (both CR)
1.8 sohc Ford unit in 115 (CR)
2.0 dohc Ford / PSA unit in 136 (CR)
cheddar

Thanks for the clarification. Good of you.

Now all I've got to do is remember all those different engine codes to ID the different systems...... F9DA; C9DC.... ATED...

Why do they have to have so many...?
Sorry Screwloose I did not mean to be patronising though in re-reading it my post may be construed as that, I thought you meant manufacturers of engines rather than engine type codes.

Best regards.
cheddar

Not at all; it was helpful to know the whole picture of what's fitted now. I don't have the time to read any mags etc. to keep up with all the new engine fitments and versions.

I only find out what Ford's been fitting to them when I lift the bonnet. I usually get a car pointed out to me [often at a fleet or a dealers] with "it's that Focus over there.... 'think it's diesel.... 'not running right.... or something...?"

Now that they appear to have stopped giving any clear under-bonnet labelling of even the engine power it's going to make it even more difficult selecting which of thirty-odd[?] systems listed on the scanner to try and read first.

Those paper factory engine ID labels don't last long and there's now nothing in the way of engine-size badges on the car. Hey ho.... Bring back the days of the complete vehicle ID plastered in chrome across the bootlid "2.0 litre GLSi 16 valve Auto..."

[And, of course, that little triangular badge that just said "Discs." Who remembers those?]