German Power Battle - cardriver
I see the M3 V8 engine details have been released with a max bhp of 420.
I am suprised it only equals the RS4 - they usually like to play games with nudging each other up the bhp scale.
Have we seen an end to this between the German big 3 I wonder.
I bet it features in the Internationla Engine of the Year awards as most BMW engines tend to.
German Power Battle - cheddar
IIRC domestic German taxation is based on power in KW, hazard a guess that 420 BHP is at the top end of a bracket.
German Power Battle - stunorthants26
I was just reading that the new stripped out Lambo is part of the eternal struggle with Ferrai to out-do eachother with their everyday supercars but there are italians are involved here, whereas I doubt very much there are with the 'Big 3'.

As long as they make money, thats what the Germans are interested in, thats why they have some of the most profitable car companies in the world. The only time they will try and out-do eachother on power is if theres money in it.
German Power Battle - Roly93
I know I'm a bit biased towards Audi, but I've looked at both and overall I think the RS4 is probably still going to be a far better car than the new M3.
The Quattro system alone can seal this, but coupled with the superb interior and bespoke seats & wheels on the RS4, I think it is a very tough act for BMW to match, given that the 3 series itself has a rather lukewarm following compared to the old shape 3 series.