What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Running a new car in - cambb69
Hi,
i,ve bought a brand new Ford Galaxy and was wondering what needs to be done regarding running in the engine.
Or do new engines need running in?
thanks
Running a new car in - Roly93
I think if you are a sensible driver, ie not too slow or too fast, most modern cars do not need 'kid gloves' when running in. In the case of diesels, I think if they are too feather-bedded during the first couple of thousand miles they are never any good afterwards. I think all you need to do is avoid labouring the engine and dont take it to the rev-limit for the first 1000 miles and thats about it.
Running a new car in - cambb69
Hi,
What does feather-bedded mean?
Running a new car in - Roly93
Hi,
What does feather-bedded mean?

Treated too gently.......
Running a new car in - xzibit
As said don't labour it, and don't rev it too much either.

My last car though, I got in it, and pretty much drove it like I stole it from new, and after 16500 miles (when I sold it) it was the quickest 1.2 car I knew. If a car is driven very carefully for the first 2-3k then I don't think you will get the full potential out of it, where as, give it a good thrashing and it seems it'll give the full potential.
Running a new car in - oldtoffee
This is good advice on the subject from HJ himself

Petrol engines - www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=44

Diesel engines - www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=32
Running a new car in - L'escargot
My last car though, I got in it, and pretty much
drove it like I stole it from new, and after 16500
miles (when I sold it) it was the quickest 1.2 car
I knew.

An acquaintance of mine worked on the premise of "Run it in fast and it will go fast". What he didn't take into account was that it would then also wear out fast!
--
L\'escargot.
Running a new car in - jacks
See Honest John's FAQ's ( 5th item on the menu on the left of this page)

Questions 10 (diesel) and 12 (petrol) will help you

cheers, Jacks
Running a new car in - Mad Maxy
RTM! (Read the manual!) Running in instructions/advice will be in there.
Running a new car in - Altea Ego
I Look at it like this.

I have a car from new for, at most up to 60k miles. Have done for the last 27 years, I want the car to perform its best for me during my period of ownership - not worried about the rest of its life or who else gets it.

So I work my cars really quite hard round the rev counter from brand new (petrol and diesel) and dont labour them in low revs. Gear changing just before the red section most of the time, This, for me, produces an engine that gives of its best in terms of performance and economy during my tenure. about 15k miles they are really quite sweet by then,

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Running a new car in - craig-pd130
As said above, you can make the engine work without giving it full throttle, or asking it to pull 1500rpm in top gear uphill.

Also, when exactly does "wearing in" stop, and "wearing out" begin? :-D
Running a new car in - L'escargot
So I work my cars really quite hard round the rev
counter from brand new (petrol and diesel) and dont labour them
in low revs. Gear changing just before the red section most
of the time,

Given today's speed limits, how many gears can you do this in? Probably one (1st) in town and two (1st and 2nd) elsewhere!
--
L\'escargot.
Running a new car in - Bill Payer
Given today's speed limits, how many gears can you do this
in? Probably one (1st) in town and two (1st and
2nd) elsewhere!
--

I was advised to boot my diesel auto to clear it out every now and again - trouble is even up the long steepish hill I use for this purpose it's soon doing 100+!
Running a new car in - ForumNeedsModerating
BP - c270 same as mine? I tipt. down a gear or two to up the revs. on NSL roads - runs at about 60mph in 3rd @ 4000rpm
to give it a good 'cough' . -when warmed-up of course.
Running a new car in - Bill Payer
BP - c270 same as mine? I tipt. down a gear or two to up the
revs. on NSL roads - runs at about 60mph in 3rd @ 4000rpm
to give it a good 'cough' . -when warmed-up of course.

Yes, but ideally you're supposed to put the car under load (hence running up the hill). There's such a lot of torque in the 270CDi that steady speed running is effortless.
It's quite noticeable if I forget for a while and then have to boot it up, say, a motorway slip road - everyone behind disappears in cloud of smoke.