German style Pressed metal number plates - cottontop
Hi all,

Seen these on ebay, and think they look really good. The question is are they legal in the uk ??

Cheers

Rich
German style Pressed metal number plates - boxsterboy
In a word, No. They don't conform to size and font requirements.
German style Pressed metal number plates - burpie
I can't answer your question, but can you post a link?
German style Pressed metal number plates - jc2
Pressed metal number plates are legal and available but they must comply with UK requirements.
German style Pressed metal number plates - Armitage Shanks {p}
UK requirements include thaefact that they can only legally used on a car registered before 197something. If you buy it as a cherished plate and put it on a 2007 car it has to be reflective type not metal with raised letters and numbers SFAIK.
Relevant date is pre 1st January 1973, for fitting ot metal plates. Other info

A number plate must be displayed at the front and rear of motor vehicles (with some exceptions).
Number Plates must be easy to read and meet the British Standard.
Lettering should be black on a white plate at the front and a yellow at the rear.
The background surface should be reflex-reflecting but the characters must not.
There are separate requirements for traditional number plates displayed on vehicles constructed before 1 January 1973.
Lettering and spacing must be of a set size. They must conform to one of the groups shown at:- Number plates fitted after 1 September 2001 or Number plates fitted before 1 September 2001.
German style Pressed metal number plates - Muggy
In the late 70s / early 80s my dad used to have a Morris 1300 with embossed metal number plates, I can still remember the number - CPL 445 H.

So such plates certainly were quite common at one time before the regulations changed.

As I understand it, the reason for using embossed metal in the first place was to prevent people switching the characters and digits round on the previous style of plates where the characters were literally simply screwed on.
Wrong-current plates must be reflective but they can still be pressed metal or have riveted-on numbers as long as they comply with size and spacing requirements.
This is a reply to Armitage-Shanks.
www.framptons.net supply plates by return of post.Outstanding service.
German style Pressed metal number plates - nortones2
No questions asked?
You send the info after you receive the plates.
German style Pressed metal number plates - nortones2
Thats handy. For cloners:)
jc2 - I was merely quoting the DVLA regs. Interpretation is a matter for the user, plod and an MOT tester!
The only plates not allowed by DVLA regs are ones with stick-on numbers as long as the size,shape and reflectability requirements are met-please tell me the section that bans pressed or riveted.
German style Pressed metal number plates - L'escargot
cottontop,

Why would you want German style pressed metal number plates anyway? After all, I assume you're British! ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
jc2 - I have quoted the regulations issued by DVLA - you work out how they apply and what is allowed and what is not!
German style Pressed metal number plates - steveo3002
fwiw the german ones are reflective...its the font thats not right

i really like the pressed steel look..i remeber they were popular in the early 80s in the uk
German style Pressed metal number plates - L'escargot
fwiw the german ones are reflective...its the font thats not right
i really like the pressed steel look..i remeber they were popular
in the early 80s in the uk

But not in the 40s I bet! ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
am i missing something? what about the 40's???

i was just saying the pressed ones avail in the 80s were correct font and coluor and would probably be a legal replacement if you find a supplier??
German style Pressed metal number plates - oldgit
were correct font and coluor and would probably be a legal
replacement if you find a supplier??

Why would you bother about that, based on the number of illegal number plates I see daily, with illegal fonts and italicised as well (sorry, that should of course be 'aswell').

German style Pressed metal number plates - Leif
Quite. I see plates with black rivets strategically placed. For example, II with a black rivet becomes H. C with a black rivet becomes E. I also see plates with deformed letters. All are unreadable. I wonder if these people avoid the congestion charge and speed cameras? Certainly the specs cameras would be confused by them. I think Truvelo and Gatso require manual examination of the photo. Maybe they would get a combined speeding and number plate fine.
German style Pressed metal number plates - Baskerville
am i missing something? what about the 40's???

Let's just imagine. It's 1940 and you are driving up the London road from Dover in a black Mercedes with German plates. In the boot are a couple of Rembrandts and a Leonardo you picked up in a house in Leipzig. You know, one of those ones with the white star on the door. Overhead there are small aircraft doing aerobatics. There is the distant sound of machine gun fire. Strangely there are no road signs and you have to keep asking for directions. Do you reckon you'll get as far as Canterbury?
oh yeah i get it...the WAR lol
The supplier is mentioned earlier in the post;I have checked my plates against the DVLA web-site and they are 100% legal.The only plates you are not allowed to fit are ones with stick-on numbers-pressed ali and riveted plates are 100% legal as long as they are reflective and have the correct spacing/size on the letters/numbers.