What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Popping & banging Fiesta - frazerjp
My '03' reg Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec has a 'popping & banging' sound when after it's being revved up.
I can't find any leaks around the exhaust pipe, it recently had both Lamba sensors recently & it drives fine but the poping persists.
Could this be because it's out of tune or something more techinical or just something simple?
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Popping & banging Fiesta - Lud
How much petrol is it using? I would suspect overfuelling on the overrun. Modern engines are supposed to use no fuel at all on the overrun until the engine speed reaches idle. So could be ECU.

Very highly tuned carburetted engines used to do that, but in their case it was a combination of overfuelling, radical valve timing designed for high rpm and retarded ignition timing on the overrun. Unburnt fuel would detonate in the exhaust ports. Another cause of backfiring could be burnt exhaust valves. In the case of your Fiesta too much of that may cook the catalyser. So it may be an urgent matter.

Don't take my word for it of course (where are the experts?).

Popping & banging Fiesta - Rattle
Cats are cheap as chips on this cars anyway, my mate needed one and it was £80 including labour.

Still best to avoid paying the £80 if you don't have to :)
I've mentioned on other threads it's averaging about high 30's to the gallon, on a good run it achieved lower 40's!
--
Popping & banging Fiesta - Lud
Sounds a bit thirsty to me unless you're a pedal to the metal driver.
Just to let you know the Catalyst is in need of replacing, will be fitted tommorow, £450 it'll cost but as it's under warranty im in peace of mind.
--