What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Blown main bulbs - Ford Focus - arnold2
I've now replaced my main bulbs 3 times on my 02 TDCi Focus - all the replacement ones were from one source. Are there better quality makes ? These were all no make jobs - China ? Always happens when starting the engine up ... any good places to buy online ? And is it possible to fit brighter bulbs ....
Blown main bulbs Focus - wantone
Osram silverstars
Phillips visionplus
Halfords 50%
All supposed to be good bulbs and you would hope, sure to improve on the bulbs with no name.
As it seems you have had plenty of fitting practise im sure you know the size your headlight takes.
Word of warning though,if bought off ebay dont take it as gospal they are the genuine item.
Fakes are everywhere but ebay is king!
Blown main bulbs Focus - yorkiebar
Dont put lights on before starting engine. Whatever make is fitted it wont help them !
Blown main bulbs Focus - jc2
I was taught to let engine run for at least ten seconds to allow alternator/generator to stabilize voltage.
Blown main bulbs Focus - Chas{P}
All bulbs legally sold are 'E' marked. E1 bulbs are homologated in Germany to the strictest annually audited standards. They are the ones to choose for the best quality.

Bear in mind that the 'up to' 30 - 50% brighter bulbs have filaments that burn brighter to produce the extra light and therefore do not last as long. The blue tinting on boy racer bulbs actually reduces light output as do the 'all weather' bulbs.

HTH
Blown main bulbs Focus - L'escargot
Bear in mind that the 'up to' 30 - 50% brighter
bulbs have filaments that burn brighter to produce the extra light ..........

I understoond that they were dimensionally more accurate than standard bulbs, making the light source consistently closer to the focal point of the reflector and that it was mostly this which gave the greater illumination distance.

--
L\'escargot.
Blown main bulbs Focus - yorkiebar
and you believed that ?

conventional headlight bulbs were/are halogen but if you use the xenon variety (any make) they are automatically brighter. I believe all H7 bulbs are xenon so very difficult to get any brighter bulbs for them.
Blown main bulbs Focus - John S
yorkiebar

Yes, in my experience the 'brighter' bulbs for H7's are a waste of money for that reason. At one time I had a standard H7 on one side of the car, and a standard bulb in the other. Couldn't see the difference. Best results I've had have been with H4's, then H1's.

JS
Blown main bulbs Focus - Chris M
Halfords have BOGOF deal on Super Brilliance bulbs at the moment. Or at least they did last weekend.
Blown main bulbs - Ford Focus - Andrew Scott
I am surpised that no one has commented how difficult it is to change headlight bulbs on facelift focus's (focii?) on the nearside the battery has to be moved, to get access to the back of the headlight and then I had to work using a mirror!. Both my dipped beam bulbs have failed twice (a two year Intervals) but the main beam are the originals (Hardly Used). I did read once that focuses do get thro' headlight bulbs often may be due to the alternator throwing out spikes, maybe this is just hearsay.
Andrew
Blown main bulbs - Ford Focus - Bill Payer
I did read once that focuses do get thro'
headlight bulbs often

I've heard that too - there's a longish thread about it here (I haven't read through it)
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=29423
Blown main bulbs - Ford Focus - Waino
I am surpised that no one has commented how difficult it is to change headlight bulbs on facelift focus's (focii?)

Oh yes they have.......

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=45995&...f

You'll see, I had to resort to using SWMBO's make-up mirror. Mind you, the skinned knuckles have healed now ;-)

I wondered about taking the battery out, but didn't because I thought it messed up all sorts of electrical devices. Is it possible to remove the battery without causing too many problems?