Vauxhall Astra 1.8 sport. Temp gauge - ianden
My son's car has an intermittent reading on the temp. gauge. Sometimmes it shows about 80C after a few miles, sometimes much less. I noticed after starting the engine after a rest of at least 90 minutes that there was flow to the top of the coolant bottle. I take this to mean that the thermostat is stuck open. Does anyone agree/disagree?
Cheers.
Vauxhall Astra 1.8 sport. Temp gauge - Dynamic Dave
Temp gauge should read around 88 to 90 deg C. Certainly sounds like a faulty thermostat to me.
Hi Dynamic Dave. Yes, I'm pretty sure it is but I thought I'd ask in case someone had discovered a different cause. The themostats aren't cheap what with new coolant etc. Thanks.
Vauxhall Astra 1.8 sport. Temp gauge - SpamCan61 {P}
>>The themostats aren't cheap what with new coolant etc.

Last thermostat I bought for a Vauxhall was roughly a tenner including housing ( 5 years ago) , proper long life Vx coolant is £2.50 a litre IIRC. Wish there were more fixes that cheap! - or have Vx jacke dthe prices up all of a sudden?
Hi SpamCan61. Thermostat is £35 from a motor factors. Don't know Vauxhall price, our local one's being refurbished hence not open, but it won't be less. The stat comes complete with housing hence its price. If it's not the cause then that's a waste of money. However, I'm pretty certain it's the cause so no problem.
Vauxhall Astra 1.8 sport. Temp gauge - SpamCan61 {P}
Flippin 'eck, that certainly a lot more than 5 years ago, the tenner I paid was including housing. :-( Have you given Autovaux a ring? might be worth it as 35 quid sounds a lot, even with the housing.
Vauxhall Astra 1.8 sport. Temp gauge - Dynamic Dave
Thermostat is £35 from a motor factors.

How much? As SpamCan suggests, try Vauxhall themselves or Autovaux.

On the whole, most parts from Vauxhall themselves aren't that expensive.