What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo snow chains - Richard Huddleston
Sorry, another one. Wheels are Ford 15" but the handbook says only use snow chains on 14" wheels, I assume because of clearance. Anyone got any experience? What are you supposed to do, do they only sell Mondeos with 14" wheels in the Alps? Thanks in advance.
Mondeo snow chains - Collos25
No you have to fit winter tyres they are compulsory.
Mondeo snow chains - Brit_in_Germany
What about Autosocks?

BIG
Mondeo snow chains - gsb
Sorry to disagree, winter tyres are not compulsory. In the Alps you must carry chains even if you have snow tyres. When I had a Focus they said you could not fit chains. You can get chains with very low profile links. Check with someone like www.snow-chains.co.uk You have to be very careful to ensure clearance between back of wheel and suspension strut and any brake pipework. Revolving wheel while also on both full locks.
Winter tyres are compulsory in Germany ,Austria and Switzerland any accident you are invoved in even though you are not to blame you will be considered 40% guilty for not having them in .THe new laws came into effect in November 2006 and no compliers face extremely harsh fines.You must use carry chains on roads designated as such there being a road sign to that effect.
Über wieviel "Profiltiefe" muss ein Reifen mindesten verfügen?
Die Reifen müssen auf der ganzen Lauffläche mindestens 1,6 mm tiefe Profilrillen aufweisen. (Bei Winterreifen empfiehlt sich eine Mindestprofiltiefe von 4 mm). www.stva.zh.ch/internet/ds/st..._auskunft.html
If we're speaking German SVO §2:

Bei Kraftfahrzeugen ist die Ausrüstung an die Wetterverhältnisse anzupassen.
Hierzu gehören insbesondere eine geeignete Bereifung und Frostschutzmittel in der
Scheibenwaschanlage.

bundesrecht.juris.de/stvo_ddr/index.html
There is no requirement for Winter tyres in Germany - the law simply says that the tyres must be suitable for the conditions. A standard tyre which is fairly new with a good deep profile might be considered to be suitable.

BIG
You obviiously do not keep abreast of the new motoring regs go into any ATU and read whats on the wall regarding the regs.
Since 1 May 2006 the German Highway Code and the catalogue of fines has included a much-discussed addition: ?The equipment of motor vehicles is to be adapted to the weather conditions? (Article 2 para. 3a Highway Code). Ignoring the so-called Winter Tyres Ordinance can result in a fine of up to 40? and one point on your driving licence. And the consequences in the event of an accident with summer equipment can be even more serious because it is possible that fully comprehensive insurance cover is invalid. To date, there is no clearly defined standard on the form of ?equipment adapted to the weather conditions?.
Mondeo snow chains - gsb
I stand corrected, I'm surprised France hasn't jumped in as well. How easy it would be to fine all the Brits who drive skiing. I bought some snow tyres two years ago for our trips and I must admit I was amazed at the difference in grip. (chains in the boot as well).
France will make them up as they go along as usual, I suppose that gives the country part of its charm like Italy.
Mondeo snow chains - DP
And the consequences in the event of
an accident with summer equipment can be even more serious because
it is possible that fully comprehensive insurance cover is invalid.

This is also true in the Netherlands. One of my Dutch colleagues was ranting about it recently.

Cheers
DP
Mondeo snow chains - jc2
France may well be like Montana;this state did away with the national speed limit and everyone said"goody,I can drive as fast as I want" but ignored the added statement that the local officer/sheriff can decide what speed is safe.Prosecutions went up.
Going back to the original query .
www.snowchains.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/snowchains...o