Ipod through a 3.5mm 'Aux-in' plug - a900ss
Hi,

I am changing my car soon and I want to use my Ipod in my new car.

According to the Dension website, they don't make a 'wired' link for a Ford S-max with the 6006 stereo, only a FM radio link. In past experience, FM radio links are not really that good. It's a shame because | have a dension hard wired solution in my BMW and it is fantastic, it charges the Ipod, perfect sound quality and the steering wheel controls operate the Ipod.

The S-Max does have a 3.5mm Aux in plug that I can link the Ipod to the car through but what is the best way to do this?

Is a line from the headphone socket into the Aux in OK or should the line into the Aux in really come from the connection at the bottom of the Ipod for better sound quality. If I take the sound from the bottom of the ipod, I can't charge it at the same time, is there a solution to this?

I don't really want any visible signs that the car is fitted with an Ipod so have ruled out a Harmon and Kardon Drive and Play system. If a theif looks through the window of the car and sees the H&K display, they'll know an Ipod is in the car.

Thoughts most welcome.

PS, I can;t change the head unit as it will be a company car.
Ipod through a 3.5mm 'Aux-in' plug - daveyjp
My wife has the same on her Aygo and my Bose soundwave has the same set up. We use a cable with 3.5mm jack on both ends from the headphone socket to the aux socket. My Sony MP3 has switchable output for headphones or line out - I don't know if Ipods offer this facility. Sony MP3 battery lasts over 20 hours so recharging whilst in car is not an issue.
Ipod through a 3.5mm 'Aux-in' plug - Altea Ego
Its head phone jack to 3.5mm input jack. The sound is at the same quality both ends of the Ipod.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Ipod through a 3.5mm 'Aux-in' plug - Carse
Hi,

Have the jack socket in my Mondeo and connect my I Pod through the ear phone jack and the sound is very good. You just need to ensure you buy a stereo connector lead and not a mono. About £4 from Maplin.

Carse
Ipod through a 3.5mm 'Aux-in' plug - peterb
I connect via the headphone socket to the 3.5 mil jack in my Lexus.

The sound is pretty good, but paying the CD in the car CD player sounds noticably better (as it should, being uncompressed).

PS I rip at CDs 320 mbps and have used a reasonable quality cable