Remote brake servo question - Petel
Re the above, can anyone pleae advise if it is necessary to mount a remote servo before the master cylinder, or could it be fitted in the line after the servo and achieve the same results?
Thank you
Sorry, should read " fitted into the line after the master cylinder "
Rgds.
Remote brake servo question - sierraman
Pipe runs from master cylinder to servo.See tinyurl.com/ydqt78 .
What vehicle are you fitting it to?
Conversion is being considered for a Morris 1000 and a Fiat Panda.
Rgds.
Remote brake servo question - Number_Cruncher
If you are fitting it to a Morris 1000, then, I would consider changing the layout of the brake pipes a little.

As standard, the brake pipes split just behind the master cylinder, with one pipe going to the front, and one to the rear.

I would run a pipe from the master cylinder to the input of the remote servo, and then put a junction in the output of the remote servo, running one pipe to the front, and one to the rear.

If you also have fitted a disc conversion, you migh find it necessary to strip the master cylinder and remove the residual pressure valve, because this can keep enouh pressure in the sytstem to hold the front brakes on.

Of course, any advice you get included with any brake servo kit should over-ride my vague ramblings, which, although based on my experience, should not be considered as authoritative.

Number_Cruncher
Thanks NC.
On the Fiats from 92 on, the servo is bolted to the bulkhead and the master cylinder is mounted on the front of it. The brake pipes then go out from the master cylinder. So the servo is behind the master cylinder in the system.

On a Morris 1000 Woody many years ago, I saw a cylindrical servo unit ( similar to that on the Fiat ) mounted on a bracket bolted to the floor of the engine bay. A single pipe came from the direction of the master cylinder to the rear of the servo and a single pipe left the front of the unit. I presume that the brakes were tee'd off from this forward pipe. So the servo is in front of the master cylinder in this layout.

This is what prompted my original question.
Thanks.
Remote brake servo question - Number_Cruncher
The servo on the Fiat is much more likely to be a direct acting servo rather than a remote one. By direct acting, I mean that the brake pushrod passes through the servo, to the mater cylinder, and the servo effectively adds some actuation force directly onto the pushrod.

On the Morris, because the master cylinder is located in the chassis rail, it is very difficult to put a direct acting servo between the pushrod and the master cylinder, so a remote servo, which acts on the hydraulic cicuit only - the servo can be physically mounted anywhere relative to the master cylinder - indeed, some cars have two remote servos, one for each circuit of a dual cicuit system.

Number_Cruncher